Should Sedan Min weight Be Lowered?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should Sedan Min weight Be Lowered?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 08:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Should Sedan Min weight Be Lowered?

I have been thinking about this for a while and I want to know what others think.

Should the the min weight be lowered? If so how much? 100grams? 150grams? more?

Lowering the min weight will help the transistion from NiMH to LiPO happen faster without making a LiPO only rule.
The lower weight will increase the durablilty of the cars.
The lower weight will help keep the outrageous large capacity LiPO's from being used. 3200mah should be enough for a 5min race.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Tech Addict

i agree with your points but lowering the weight will make it unfair to those who choose to continue to run NIMH
Old 04-04-2008, 08:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I agree with lowering the weight, How much I don't know but I know. I disagree with limiting the lipo capacity to 3200 though... You'll pretty much kill mod for good.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I think for 2009 we need to make the rules for just lipo at lighter weights.

There is no disadvantage for any cars as all you have to do is scoot your lipo over ~3mm to balance the car with the lighter battery...no muss no fuss.

I run 5000mah Core packs. I run 10.5 and Mod so I have no interest in smaller packs
Old 04-04-2008, 09:03 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by AdrianM
There is no disadvantage for any cars as all you have to do is scoot your lipo over ~3mm to balance the car with the lighter battery...no muss no fuss.
Is that true? is that all you have to do to balance? It seems like it would take more than that.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I think the minimum weight should be lowered for TC (carpet and asphalt).

It simply makes things easier. I haven't personally balanced a TC for LiPo yet...but I have seen a lot of guys making all of these crazy custom milled weights and buying special weights that stick on to each of their batteries (not necessarily to balance the car I guess, but just to reach min weight). As someone else said...I know that lowering the weight would kind of isolate the guys still running NiMHs ... but I think that, like switching from NiCd to NiMH, switching from NiMH to LiPo will be a positive direction for the hobby.

However, I as well don't think there should be a limit on the LiPos....I guess the main reason I think this is that if things like mAh rating start getting restricted in races, then I think we are also somewhat indirectly restricting the ability of the hobby to grow, racing or otherwise.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Leave the weight where it is at. Until only lipo packs are available then maybe the weight should be changed. To balance the car from side to side you still need to add weight. That is if the electronics and motor are on the other side.

Also lower weight means it will be harder to lock into a setup for a car on a given track. This is especially true of offroad.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

I believe that the weight should be lowered to 1100 grams. An 1100 gram car w/ a 19 turn motor will go toe to toe w/ a 1450 gram car w/ a gtb 3.5. Simply put
-5 gp 3300s only weighs about 280 grams.
-3/4ths less stress on parts
-3/4ths the energy needed to go
-tcs will still drive around a track w/ a bad setup, & if less weight will make setups harder to come up with then it should help to make setups knowledge more important.
-lower discharge batteries needed
Old 04-05-2008, 12:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by party_wagon
I believe that the weight should be lowered to 1100 grams. An 1100 gram car w/ a 19 turn motor will go toe to toe w/ a 1450 gram car w/ a gtb 3.5. Simply put
-5 gp 3300s only weighs about 280 grams.
-3/4ths less stress on parts
-3/4ths the energy needed to go
-tcs will still drive around a track w/ a bad setup, & if less weight will make setups harder to come up with then it should help to make setups knowledge more important.
-lower discharge batteries needed
I think 1100 grams is too light. That would make every car overweight out of the box. What is the point in making a 19 turn as fast as mod? You'll just have people breaking more parts. There is just as much force on the car if a lighter car is going faster than a slower and heavier car(mass*acceleration).

In my opinion I think the weight should be lowered maybe 100 grams? That would be easy for everyone and should make racing a bit more exciting.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Newton's second law of motion pertains to the behavior of objects for which all existing forces are not balanced. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is dependent upon two variables - the net force acting upon the object and the mass of the object. The acceleration of an object depends directly upon the net force acting upon the object, and inversely upon the mass of the object. As the force acting upon an object is increased, the acceleration of the object is increased. As the mass of an object is increased, the acceleration of the object is decreased.

Eye on the wording about force, as noted above, it is not weigh, rather than Mass that is the true "weight of an item." Weight is relative to the amount of gravitational force pulling down on an item. An object with the same mass for example, weights less on the moon that it does on earth even though it still has the same amount of mass.

Therefore, the heavier the car, the more mass it has, the more force there is on an impact...
Old 04-05-2008, 07:30 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Personally I think everyone on this site isn't balanced, that is we're all a little off!

Minimum weight should stay the same until the new lipo specific designed cars come out. And saddle packs suck!
Old 04-05-2008, 07:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
Personally I think everyone on this site isn't balanced, that is we're all a little off!

Minimum weight should stay the same until the new lipo specific designed cars come out. And saddle packs suck!
The way I look at it is.....they lowered the weight for 5 cell racing so why not lower it for Lipo? Some chassis don't have the room to add all the weight needed to bring it to roar specs.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:40 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by STLNLST
The way I look at it is.....they lowered the weight for 5 cell racing so why not lower it for Lipo? Some chassis don't have the room to add all the weight needed to bring it to roar specs.
Then run NIMH??? I don't think you can compare 5 cell to lipo here...
Old 04-05-2008, 08:19 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by STLNLST
Because 5 cell also reduces the power. Lipo's are lighter but have the same voltage as a 6 cell NiMh.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Is that true? is that all you have to do to balance? It seems like it would take more than that.
Yup its true, 3-6mm depending on the car and your electronics. On my Mi3 my car balances with no weight if my Core 5000 Lipo hangs off the chassis 3mm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.