Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Should Sedan Min weight Be Lowered? >

Should Sedan Min weight Be Lowered?

Should Sedan Min weight Be Lowered?

Old 04-05-2008, 12:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My MSXX with NiMH comes in at around 1470 g. And that's not even trying to go light--regular thickness Mazda body, 12ga. wire, etc. It seems we could afford to trim a little off the weight spec even with "old" equipment.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Tech Adept

I run an Xray T2 w/ Lipo and BL, to get my car properly balanced from left to right I had to add approx. 130g to the outside of the Lipo, race ready my car weighs 1492g, so even if the weight rules were reduced I would still have to run my car at 1492g to get the proper balance.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:14 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by AdrianM
Yup its true, 3-6mm depending on the car and your electronics. On my Mi3 my car balances with no weight if my Core 5000 Lipo hangs off the chassis 3mm.
Yes but don't you also change the dynamics of the car by moving your pack by that much ?
Old 04-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smoke81
Then run NIMH??? I don't think you can compare 5 cell to lipo here...
you say it lowers the power yet everyone says they're going faster with five cells. Racers are still going to throw motor at it no mater what we run. I don't wish to run nihm but thanks for the suggestion It's all apples and oranges anyways.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by _pilot_
to get my car properly balanced from left to right I had to add approx. 130g to the outside of the Lipo, race ready my car weighs 1492g, so even if the weight rules were reduced I would still have to run my car at 1492g to get the proper balance.
No, you wouldn't
Old 04-05-2008, 10:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
Yup its true, 3-6mm depending on the car and your electronics. On my Mi3 my car balances with no weight if my Core 5000 Lipo hangs off the chassis 3mm.
Several factors including even chassis thickness effect balance. The Mi3 takes less weight to balance then most chassis I've worked on. TC5 balances at about 15.5oz at battery, T2 007 13.0oz , Mi3 around 12.5. Yes the placement will effect balance but I beg to differ that 3mm movement = 3.5oz worth of balance. 3mm is less then 1/8 inch. I've done alot of work on scales and have found around 1.5oz of weight gain from a bit over 1/8" on a 2.5mm thick TC5 chassis.

Also...I would not recommend hanging a LiPo off the side of your chassis unprotected...reasons are quite obvious.

Keep in mind, moving many batteries even 3mm can cause issues with wires interfering with top decks, bulkheads, belts, ect.

Last edited by Verndog; 04-05-2008 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Originally Posted by STLNLST
you say it lowers the power yet everyone says they're going faster with five cells. Racers are still going to throw motor at it no mater what we run. I don't wish to run nihm but thanks for the suggestion It's all apples and oranges anyways.
Because the drivers can controle the power better and the power to traction ratio is closer.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Minimun Weight Should Be Eliminated!!!!

Delete that $&%#*@ing Wieght restriction yesterday already! All of the advantages of a lighter car needs to be developed/exploited/finetuned/dialedin, ect, ad nausieum so the Hobby/Sport can evolve and or grow, and the process needs to start now. Race classes are already devided by motor size, and thats all the restrictions necessary. Any added weight beyond what is required to balance the car is waste of hardware. Maybe a heavyer car suits your preferances, then so be it. As for me, I say, put the lightest car you can tune and drive on the track, and let the games begin.

Hey Verndog, mind if I call you "JulesVerndog"?
Old 04-06-2008, 01:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by STLNLST
5-cell is also faster because of the lower weight... Also less wheel spin, more useable power as opposed to the stupid winds (what with 6T brushed motors)...
Old 04-06-2008, 01:56 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by el salvador
Delete that $&%#*@ing Wieght restriction yesterday already! All of the advantages of a lighter car needs to be developed/exploited/finetuned/dialedin, ect, ad nausieum so the Hobby/Sport can evolve and or grow, and the process needs to start now. Race classes are already devided by motor size, and thats all the restrictions necessary. Any added weight beyond what is required to balance the car is waste of hardware. Maybe a heavyer car suits your preferances, then so be it. As for me, I say, put the lightest car you can tune and drive on the track, and let the games begin.

Hey Verndog, mind if I call you "JulesVerndog"?
Yeah right... How much do you want to spend on your ar to get it as light as possible ? Will you be able to take it when you keep on breaking it ? The weight rules are here for a reason, to make a level playing field as far as weight is concerned and make sure people don't spend too much money trying to get the weight as low...

I have examples of people with Mi3s last year who drilled their bulkheads in order to try and lose weight. This year the reaction by the BRCA has been to increase the minimum weight from 1350g to 1425g where EFRA only went to 1400g, only because the Mi3 is so heavy...
Old 04-06-2008, 06:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I advise against changing the weight minimum. All racing has weight minimums for a reason. Perhaps when Nimh batteries are no longer being legalized for racing we can begin looking int changing the weight minimums. The voltages of the batteries are equivalent, so should the weight requirements.

Watching how many cars dropped out of the mod qualifiers/mains at the nationals this year would tell any thinking person that the minimums should not be lowered. Everyone knows that the MFGs would take advantage of those lowered requirements and make lighter weight parts that are more brittle/weaker. You only need a few clean runs to win a championship, and the chassis only has to last that long - we don't need that mentality in the design ranks of RC.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dodgeguy
Because the drivers can controle the power better and the power to traction ratio is closer.
I said this before last years Reedy race.....we as driver's are too stupid to motor down and be in control of our cars. We run killer cells (IB's at that time) and the hairy horse power (6T &7T) and then complain about it. Oh well.....that's they way the ball bounces.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Even when we ran 05 and T-2 X-Ray's with NIHM and brushed systems and(rubber tires) we had too add weight to be race legal. Now with brushless and lipo we add more weight. My vote would be to reduce the weight for everyone. With 5 cell Mod it's 51.8 in the Florida State Series. I would like to see Touring Car (rubber tires) go to 51.0 across the board. ( just my 0.2 worth ).
Old 04-06-2008, 01:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Maybe my suggestion of using 3200's would be a little low for some racers, but I think some point the capacity has to limit out. But IMO 3200's are ideal since remember mod racing used to be run on 1500 NiCds. Just like any other racing, "fuel" management is part of racing. Going to a excessively large capacity removes that aspect of racing.

I for one don't like standing at a drivers stand for 30min like in nitro. If I did I would be a nitro "blockhead". Why increase the cost for racers in buying bigger LiPO's packs when the extra capacity is not being used except to balance out a chassis that was designed for heavy NIMH's. 3200's can be bought for roughly $50 less a pack than 5000's.

Reducing the total mass of the car will reduce the strain on drivetrain, the load on motors and batteries,the wear on tires, and the damage in wrecks.

Yes it would be unfair for NIMH drivers, but the lower min weight would be more fair than making a LiPO only rule. If the progession towards a lower weight does not start now, more problems will arise in the future.

When racing goes completely LiPO only, the min weight change can be a drastic change over night. I suggest taking small steps now in lowering the min weight so that larger problems are avioded.