Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CLEVELAND US INDOOR CHAMPS 2008

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 08:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Also consider that the On-Road World Champs will be going on during this time. The pro guys that would run mod aren't even going to be around....
Old 04-11-2008, 10:09 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Bigdaddyswank
Also consider that the On-Road World Champs will be going on during this time. The pro guys that would run mod aren't even going to be around....
so keep 19turn and no mod?
Old 04-11-2008, 10:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Andrew Knapp
so keep 19turn and no mod?
Do we know what mod guys that usually race Cleveland are going to the worlds? How about, let's find all the entrants that would like to race mod at Cleveland (some don't comment on forums) and get a head count for how many will be going to Cleveland... If there are too few, call super stock and leave the mods at home.

Would this be a first, to have no mod at the USIC?
Old 04-11-2008, 11:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

OR instead of kill mod altogether make it an invite class like the reedy race if you aren't invited you run superstock and have to earn your way in for next year. limit it to say 1 or 2 heats of invite max. that way there would be no partial heat so it would still save time and allow for more entries in other classes.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fred_B
Wow, kill 19 turn, that's a really great idea. Kill the one class that has close to the number of entries that stock has and keep mod.

Let's see here, what were the lowest entries from last year? ALL mod classes and T/C masters had a full A and B main with some in the C. About 30 entries for these classes! Mod sedan won't even have a full B main the way things are going.

I run mod and killing 19 turn before killing open mod doesn't make sense to me. If anything kill mod because only like 20 guys are going to miss it.

I think that 19 turn should stay but change to the 2009 rules for "superstock". Then add the GT10 class in place of masters Touring (I'll bet the masters guys would be interested in this new class anyways).
TC Stock had 55
TC 19 turn had 53
TC MOD had 24
TC Masters had 27

1/12 Stock had 79
1/12 19 turn had 75
1/12 Masters had 43
1/12 MOD had 33

Killing TC Masters should help bring the TC Stock numbers back.
I'm thinking that a lot of the guys running TC 19 turn came from the Stock class and adding a Pro-10 13.5 four cell class will probably help some what to boost the numbers is TC Stock as well.
With the introduction of the Pro -10 class its hard to predict what the turn out will be.
Economics aside, some of the guys running TC 19 turn should be running Mod anyway which could help to keep those numbers stable. I always look forward to watching the Mods run at any big race.

Having eight classes at an event race is just to many IMO.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

ok 1/12 scale classes will as they are that includes 19 turn or pro stock as it's called motor rules aside of course

Pro10 is in details will come a bit later about this class.

TC will be where changes will be made...We will have it all sorted out here shortly so everyone knows what's what.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:34 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by bill941
ok 1/12 scale classes will as they are that includes 19 turn or pro stock as it's called motor rules aside of course

Pro10 is in details will come a bit later about this class.

TC will be where changes will be made...We will have it all sorted out here shortly so everyone knows what's what.
hmmm im curious to what the TC changes will be
Old 04-12-2008, 08:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kwikvdub
I'll Race Direct it!............

I can totally see Alex and Ian announcing in Cleveland!!!

I have been to races where Alex makes the A-main, and does not run it, to announce the A!!

Alex is the voice of carpet racing in the Northeast, period.

Now if we could add Monty as the third announcer...........
Old 04-12-2008, 04:24 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by knapster
Economics aside, some of the guys running TC 19 turn should be running Mod anyway
Why don't these guys that should be running mod run mod? It's their choice and we can't force anyone to run a class. The fact that so many don't even want to run mod should be an indicator that things need to change but this thread isn't the place for that discussion.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

The biggest class here in the U.S. appears to be stock from what I have seen. Now if the majority of club racing is stock why not have factory drivers run stock. If the club racers see's that a Corally or some other car won the stock race at Cleveland than it has to be a good car and make them think that they need one to be competitive.

I would have to say that if you survey a majority of them they would rather race something else but some if not most of the manufacturers will have them race in the class that they want them to race in. Thus you see the same guys running stock at all of the big races.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

If you setup the classes well in advance then everyone knows and can prepare for them. Do what is best for the race and its participants.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:21 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Wouldn't handout foams screw the half of the guys that aren't sponsored by the company providing the handouts? I mean, isn't discounted/free foam tires what keeps the class alive at big events?

Foam tire on sedans appears to be dying. If they don't adapt, foam-only races (or tracks?) will be next.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:54 PM
Tech Addict

Not any more than handout ruber tires at a big outdoor race or offroad race.

A handout tire that you have to make last for more than one run might be just what the doctor ordered.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:01 PM
Tech Elite

It's not just Foam TC that's dying, it's TC in general. Frail $500 cars requiring constant attention, with a new must have tuning part appearing bi-weekly has begun to wear on the club racers. That's why 12th scale has begun to surge in popularity again. What was it, 79 12th stock entries at the Nats? It was the biggest class. Why would an organizer compromise the track for 30 or so rubber tire TC's when the two biggest classes at the event are the 12th scale stock and 19t classes?

Sedan foams go for what, $15 a pair? so if you show up at the CHAMPS with 5 sets, it's $150. $150 in tires really doesn't seem all that much to me for a MAJOR event. A rubber tire race that allows 4 sets of tires at a cost of $30 equates to $120 in tires so it's an overall savings of $30. Anybody with any aspiratons of going fast with Rubbers buys as many sets as the rules allow, because we all know fresh rubbers are faster. A club racer who's going for the "big race experience" could easily run this race on three sets of foams. You just start 'em out a bit taller, glue the bead to ensure they don't peel and have at it. You've got six hours or so between rounds to reset your droop and ride-height, so it's not like you're in a huge time crunch.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Well you guys made my decision easy... I am going to the IIC and the Novak and possibly the Birds to run rubber tires I will have enough left over sets of rubber tires from the big races to run the whole winter club season
I will check this thread again next year.. just in case
Old 04-14-2008, 11:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

At this point classes are still undecided other then what I have already posted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.