R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Reedy Stockstar....... any info? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/214828-reedy-stockstar-any-info.html)

John Warner 03-30-2008 10:53 PM

Reedy Stockstar....... any info?

Has anyone tried this new brushed motor yet? Your thoughts?

Trips 03-30-2008 11:05 PM

I just saw some on the wall at my local track (360 Speedway in NY) but no one here has tried one yet. I might grab one for next week, if I do I'll let you know...

ALBERTO 03-31-2008 12:30 PM

the motor isn't bad, similar to co27, not better..Number one problem is there are no tuning options right now (different types of brushes or springs). So for now what you got is what you get ..

John Warner 03-31-2008 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Trips (Post 4310874)
I just saw some on the wall at my local track (360 Speedway in NY) but no one here has tried one yet. I might grab one for next week, if I do I'll let you know...

If that happens, I'd appreciate any info you could provide.

ThanX!
John

petk 03-31-2008 11:23 PM

I have both the CO27 and the Stockstar. They are very similar, in my last race I used one for the qualifiers and the other for the A-finals. I also use the same gear ratio on both, but maybe the brushes on the Stockstar handles the heat a bit better.

Best,
Peter

Syber Serulean 04-01-2008 02:29 AM

i have one. Qualified and Finished 4th in my A-main in rookie stock at the first JBRL event at my hometrack Pegasus Hobbies. The mains went all the way to D. I like it, runs good! With tuning options that im sure arent too far away, im sure it'll be even more of a competitor after that (especially since tuning companies will get their hands on them after that).

Glowster21 04-01-2008 10:00 AM

I've heard that the Stockstar likes 2-3 teeth more than the CO27 and they can be hotter.

joey 04-01-2008 10:10 AM

i got one sunday, put it in my rubber tire car and ran it between rounds it felt good speed wise so far i like it i dont remember the rollout off the top of my head that i ran.. anyone know where i can brushes for it?

BCall 04-01-2008 12:56 PM

I ordered brushes and 6 and 7 coil springs for it from Stormer Hobbies. I haven't had a chance to run mine yet, but it was just a touch below a cobalt on the dyno, but that is just a quick test. With some breakin, and a little tuning, I'm sure it will be equal to my Cobalts, and hopefully do better with a little more heat.

metalracer2 04-01-2008 03:07 PM

i bought a stockstar and it didn't last 4 min befor the armature broke :flaming:
just some info for you guy thinking about getting one.
if reedy sends me a new one i will try it a gain but as of right now i will now buy another one.

Rick Hohwart 04-01-2008 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by metalracer2 (Post 4315317)
i bought a stockstar and it didn't last 4 min befor the armature broke :flaming:
if reedy sends me a new one i will try it a gain but as of right now i will now buy another one.

If you go through the proper channels I am sure they will. But I doubt Reedy will send you one automatically.

Johnny Wishbone 04-01-2008 03:48 PM

I tried one of these on the weekend as well and although I had no access to different brushes or springs I found that the brushes are extremely hard and after multiple break in periods and on track testing, the serations had not dissapeared, which with a normal brush compound I'm sure they would have. On the dyno the motor is the first one that I've actually seen that when run up it showed a peak power number and than began to drop after 28amps, similar to a MVP. The magnets when tested have the same power rating as a CP19 money motor, very chunky. On the track I was a little leary about gearing harder that what the lap times where reflecting, I probably should have gone up at least 5 more teeth from where I ended up, but I got a little intimidated about the motor temp. Once I thought about it more I'm convinced that the motor tends to peak temp around 180 degrees but has no fade issues, and even at that temp the brushes did not break down.

The one issue I did notice on this motor as with the 19t motor is when I installed it into my 008, the motor tends to rock as you tighten the motor screws, yet the can checked to be straight. I haven't tried it in another car but others on the weekend had the same issue. I wonder if this is enough to tweak the can ?

Other than that its a very nice motor with some very nice features.

overflow 04-02-2008 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by metalracer2 (Post 4315317)

I have seen you drive, i doubt it was the quality of the motor. :sneaky:

Syber Serulean 04-02-2008 10:49 AM

ah snap! Rusty's been put on blast! Overflow who are you? maybe i know you lol.

metalracer2 04-02-2008 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by overflow (Post 4318492)
I have seen you drive, i doubt it was the quality of the motor. :sneaky:

o yeah
where did you see me drive:tire: