Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Sealing a parking lot track >

Sealing a parking lot track

Sealing a parking lot track

Old 03-30-2008, 07:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Sealing a parking lot track

Just had a question about sealing a parking lot track....what is the best sealer to use and is it actually worth doing?
Any info would be greatly apreciated.
Thanks.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

Does "worth doing" mean it makes it better for racing, or that it's good for the parking lot because the lot needs maintenance as a full size car parking lot?
Old 03-31-2008, 10:10 AM
Tech Addict

I know that its best to try to keep the sand out of the mix.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:12 PM
Tech Elite

It is an older full size car parking lot and is kind of abrasive on tires and chassis'. Our thinking was that it would also give the surface a nice black look again and would be nice to have fresh painted lines on a black background. We are also looking at it being easier to clean off and maintain if it was sealed. Would sealing the surface increase or decrease traction for rubber tire touring racing??
Old 03-31-2008, 09:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Not to disagree with the previous post about keeping the sand out but not only do I race RC cars and have been for years and my first 5 years were 90% parkinglots but I also worked for an aspahlt company for two years. So here is the deal tell the asphalt company that you want a slurry seal over your entire area and that you only want the slurry to contain #70 and #50 size silica sand its very fine but leaves the surface ideal for r/c Racing. The second things is yes it will bring traction up and it will be easier on the cars as well. If you have any probs pm me and I will call the asphalt company myself for a mere fee of free racing if I ever come to your area j/k
Old 04-01-2008, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Cool...thanks for the input.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Re...sealing asphalt

I don't really see the answer your looking for yet Dwayne. Is it the asphalt at the Horseshoe club. It's in pretty rough shape, old and weathered. I would like to seal our track surface as well. Maybe being in the paving business I could get off my lard bucket and check it out. I know Jason Rivet had talked to some one in Toronto a couple of years ago. They had just sealed there outdoor track and it looked awesome. I don't know what product they used????

TJ
Old 04-02-2008, 05:36 PM
Tech Elite

Terry....check in to it....we want to do something right away. I have done some research on the net and it seems like I am getting closer to figuring it out.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Re..A/C sealer

Dawyne, search, Elsro Construction Products. See Pro Seal under parking lot maintenance. All the information is there, specification, application rate etc. There ditribution center is in Riel Park St Albert. About 10 blocks from my house.They quoted me $306.00 per 55 gallon drum.(Standard General Construction price) Covers about 4000sf, 2 coats recommended. The Pro seal is an aphalt based product. They also have easy seal which is a coal tar base and more designed to prtect asphalt from gas and oil spill damage. Ist coat deluted with water, second coat pure product, Can be done by hand with a squeegee. I don't know if they have a distributer in Calgary. For an "ADULT" beverage or 2 I could probably haul it down to you if you decide to go that route. The "BOSS" tells me we have to visit the "KIDS" in Calgary pretty soon anyway. I forgot to get the guys name that I talked to. Later

TJ
Old 04-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Tech Elite

Terry....do you guys want to split a 55 gallon drum???4000 square feet...is that doing one coat or 2 coats?
Old 04-04-2008, 04:36 PM
Tech Elite

What brand of sealer are people using????