Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Next Gen Touring Cars - Will they be designed for Lipo? >

Next Gen Touring Cars - Will they be designed for Lipo?

Next Gen Touring Cars - Will they be designed for Lipo?

Old 03-30-2008, 06:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tcmerf
Personally i would like to see them bulk up things like arms, hubs, etc.
I think this is exactly right. With the loss of weight due to going lipo, I think we should see a little more bulk in the hubs and all. I think this could also have a positive impact on the hobby as well...less maintenance AND more durability????
Old 03-30-2008, 07:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
One nice thing about adding your own weight is you can pick where it goes, and maybe do a better job with ballast. There's enough weighting solutions now that it's not really hard to do. You can also hang the weight way out to the right side and get a little more leverage, which makes balancing easier.

As for designing cars around LiPo, that might be tough considering many car designers are in areas where 5 cell has become the norm.
I also think it would be, in a sense, counter-productive at this time since the shape of touring car lipos hasn't 'really' been standardized. They're blocks now; who knows in 6-8-12months. Not to mention other non-nimh/li-po tech that's on the come up.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trailranger
Change the rules to reflect LiPO's

Lower the min weight!
Put a max on capacity! 4800mah should be enough, but I would perfer lower.

With a max capacity rule as the technology gets better with LiPO, the battery packs will start thinning down to the thickness of the Orion Carbon packs or smaller. It won't end the battery war, but it should help remove the chase for the most amps that can be drawn in 5-min.
Exactly. I've used my 2200mAh packs in a 1/8 scale buggy for over 20 minutes. I've used the same pack in my 1/10 TC3 for over 15 minutes. I know it wasn't race conditions, but I'm sure they can handle 5 or so minutes without any issue. The only bad thing is that they are 3S lipos.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:17 PM
Tech Master

i dont think the weight should be reduced for lipos bcause if so 98% of the cars tc's wouldnt work because they would not be balanced so to redesign would take a decent amount of time. so it would be stupid to drop weight now at least until tc's were redesigned and everyone is on the same page. li pos are just really good for the non spon. or for people with lite pockets. i think the switch to li pos would be very good for the hobby, because the cars are really getting out of hand with horsepower. nic metals are faster so just use lipos and lets go racin. 10.5 should be the mod class, those 3.5, 4.5 are just crazy, we love our horsepower until someone gets seriously hurt by a out of control monster horsepower car. then were going to have major restrictions put on these thinks, so lets stay ahead of the game and prevent this before it happens.....
Old 03-30-2008, 10:28 PM
Tech Master

instead of roar doing away with the 10.5 class because its to close the mod how about doing away with anything higher than a 10.5. whats next putting puting wings on the things or what, its just getting out of hand. if you want that much power run nitro where their is a lot more room for error and usually the spectators are behind the fence, or just further away. i think 10.5 is plenty to keep people ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh and awwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnn
Old 03-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Tech Master

Yep, I'm sure they will.
But technology will soon bypass the new designs within a year is my guess.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rosko
i dont think the weight should be reduced for lipos bcause if so 98% of the cars tc's wouldnt work because they would not be balanced so to redesign would take a decent amount of time. so it would be stupid to drop weight now at least until tc's were redesigned and everyone is on the same page.
Incorrect. See here:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=213504
Old 03-31-2008, 11:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Most of the cars do not need to be rebalanced or great changes in design.
Yes the pro's will want the newest and greatest, but for many club racers their cars will work just fine.

First, let me say ingnore the min weight rules. The rules can change, and most likely will due to LiPOs.

So before you start adding lead to the battery try, try taking weight off the electronics side. Lighter Motor, Lighter/Shorter Servo, Lighter/Smaller ESC, Lighter RX, shorten all the wiring. It should be somewhat easy to find 50 to 60g to remove off the electronics side to off set the lighter weight lipo.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:55 PM
Tech Master

that guy has really good ideas and opinions but as of right now the weight limit is what it is and lipos are at a disadvantage with the current weight. take a tc with lipo no added weight get the car balanced by moving things around, and make 10.5 the mod class
Old 03-31-2008, 08:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

that guy has really good ideas and opinions but as of right now the weight limit is what it is and lipos are at a disadvantage with the current weight. take a tc with lipo no added weight get the car balanced by moving things around, and make 10.5 the mod class

Why limit mod to 10.5? 10.5 are far from being close to a 4.5 or 3.0 in speed....
Old 03-31-2008, 08:56 PM
Tech Champion

i think he is referring to the '09 ROAR motor rules placing the 10.5 into mod... perhaps not but those are the plans either way.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:45 PM
Tech Master

it might be a big horse power difference but the lap times are very close, not close enough that it should be considered a mod but left alone as a 19t/10.5 class. i hate when roar starts messing with the popular classes and run people away because of their changes instead they should be focusing on the classes that doesn't draw many entries and find ways to make it more appealing without disturbing the other classes. mod is the class that needs the most help, mostly all factory guys. quite a few factory guys even admit that the horsepower is just ridiculous if their is no limit where does it end.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:47 AM
Tech Elite

...now the weight limit is what it is and lipos are at a disadvantage with the current weight...
I don't think this is true.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

How could a LiPo be at a disadvantage? You can add weight to simulate NiMh to balance a LiPo, but you cannot remove weight to simulate LiPo with NiMh...so advantage clearly LiPo...more versatile.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

NiMh are faster, if lipos were faster i sure paul, baker etc etc would be running them. how many factory guys ran lipos at the nats, well rick and who else.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.