Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
New TEAM WAVE racing brushless system >

New TEAM WAVE racing brushless system

New TEAM WAVE racing brushless system

Old 04-03-2010, 03:47 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by TEAMWAVE
Dear all,

New firmware for RB30/50 and RBS is now available for download.

RB30/50 : Firmware v1.3a
RBS: Firmware V1.0c

Both firmware has reliability update. It helps to reduce the chance of ESC failure after car crash or some abnormal scenario.
Is there any method to check the existing firmware version? Many thanks.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Tech Initiate

i wish they can support lower turn than 8.5t for the RBS eventhough it was meant for stock class. We can take advantage on the turbo with faster motor such as 5.5t to make it scream more. at least the SXX SS can take up to 4.5t
I support Team Wave Hong Kong especially Max (the designer) but now going back to LRP due to availbility in Malaysia + price variance.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Tech Adept

No chat no updates whats going on well quiet here
Old 04-11-2010, 02:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Ever been silly and fried one??

Connected my RB30 power the wrong way around yesterday. Lots of smoke. Gutted. It still powers up but cuts out when any power load is applied (even steering servo).

Obviously 100% my fault. Loved the speedo though so going to order an RBS tomorrow. To stop me doing it again....anyone ever put a diode in the positive power supply to prevent this happening, can you get high enough rated diodes???

Regards

Chris
Old 04-11-2010, 02:27 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by topher2009
Connected my RB30 power the wrong way around yesterday. Lots of smoke. Gutted. It still powers up but cuts out when any power load is applied (even steering servo).

Obviously 100% my fault. Loved the speedo though so going to order an RBS tomorrow. To stop me doing it again....anyone ever put a diode in the positive power supply to prevent this happening, can you get high enough rated diodes???

Regards

Chris
what i do is make the power leads short so you cant cross them over - will only reach - and + will only reach +
Hope this helps
Old 04-12-2010, 04:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by topher2009

Regards

Chris
I have also done this... Some ESC's blow, others survive...

The best thing is as mentioned above or better still use a connector like Deans that can't be plugged in backwards. The best lipo's on the market come with deans anyway.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:14 AM
Tech Initiate

I have dans connectors but one of my lipos has corraly type connectors, stupidly I disconected the battery at the corraly end rather than the deans end so when i connected the battery back in I pluged the corallys in the wrong way around - a mistake that I wont make again.

Anyway, I will ensure i always leave the corallys in the lipo now and disconnect at the deans plug! lesson learned and all that!
Old 04-12-2010, 04:20 PM
Tech Champion

It doesn't seem to matter how experience you get, you can still always do something silly... All you can do is laugh sometimes...

Anyway on to some good news....

We have been beta testing various versions of software to suit the RB line of ESC's. For those that already race them the current turbo system has great bottom end but lacks top end compared to some of the latest offerings by other companies and this can be clearly seen on large tracks in classes like 17.5. Team Wave has worked very hard to catch back up so we have no disadvantage in spec classes and his latest beta software has made up alot of ground. Over the last weekend we ran the 1st round of our Club Challenge series and I used the saturday practice to test out this latest firmware and compare it to some of our countries fastest drivers.

I started with 17.5 and instantly noticed the bottom end had improved a lot of the previous beta. Top speed was also very very good and with the ESC wound up to its max settings I could do a full 5 min run with the motor coming of only slightly too hot. This impressed me a lot as I didn't have any fans on the motor. Bottom end still lacked a little compared to the fast guys but I was still able to match their lap times. As I was there to test for 10.5 I didn't try different FDR's to see if it could go better yet but was happy with the big improvements.

On to 10.5. Once again initial thoughts were the same as with 17.5. I needed more bottom end. I tried running a higher FDR but it seemed worse so dropped back and found a noticeable improvement. Because lower FDR's seemed better I though why not through more torque into the equation and changed motors... All I could say was WOW! out of nowhere I had good bottom end and to much top end! As heat was high but still ok I played around with settings and found higher timeshift with max turbo and a medium turbo delay worked very well on the track and gave good temps.

So on with sunday... and qual... I managed to TQ run one but only managed two 2nd places after that giving me 2nd overall. As the result was not important to me I was paying attention to where I was strong and weak in terms of motor. There were three guys that stood out in the 10.5 field... two tekins and one LRP. It was clear very quickly to me that even though they all looked fast from beside the track, I could run with ALL of them on the track! Neither the LRP or the Tekins could get away from me in the straights and I had even slightly more top end than the LRP driver!

So on with the finals and what a mess! I made a silly error in race 1 and then next lap got caught up with a car going sideways and got flipped. After being marshalled I very quickly caught up the latter 1/2 of the field as they were still fighting with each other. In just two laps I was back up to around forth! While the speed and power were both great the driveablity and throttle control is also very good still and allowed for me to take advantage of other peoples battles. I continued to catch and overtake car up to 2nd but with limited time I figured that was it... Luckly for me the leader had a xray with ECS so they failed and I got a win! 2nd final and off to a good start and after only two laps I get tapped in the rear and my body gets stuck! Once again from the back of the field I pass many cars and catch the front runners. I had a 2 lap battle with one guy and almost pass him around the outside up the straight and around a high speed sweeper from 1m behind! Soon I caught up to what looked like the car with the most motor power in the entire field. We battle for a bit and I get a good run onto the front straight. We ran side by side the entire length of the straight! I was amazed because this guys had amazing straight line performance with his Tekin setup and I had the exact same everything! Anyway got 3rd and was happy to get that from last again. Last run and things got off much better. Myself and TQ battle for a number of laps before I started to loose speed. I could catch his LRP setup down the straights (yes he was fast) but he was betting me in the turns. My change of tires was hurting me bad and I started to slowly loose ground to him. With about 3 laps to go 3rd got right up on me.. Another Tekin trying to school me but with better handling got really annoying but I still had enough power on the straights to halt his attack every time. Crossed the line for 2nd and overall win.

I was happy with the win for the 1st outing with this new firmware but I really don't care about the win. In all the battles I had I NEVER had less motor than anyone else and to top it off I came off at 68C after my last race compared to 83C of the winners motor only 3 seconds up the road. This performance is a big step forward and it is easy to control with only 3 options (currently) taking car of timing, turbo and turbo deployment and no laptop required. While we have plans to further improve and refine this firmware it is good to know that it is already just as fast as anything else and works on all RB ESC's. Hopefully we get a final version sorted soon so you all have an unfair advantage!
Old 04-12-2010, 04:39 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Dragonfire
a medium turbo delay worked very well on the track and gave good temps.
I gather this is a new feature in the latest firmware?
Old 04-12-2010, 06:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

new firmware sounds good

so I assume you can use the standard hand held controller that will have an extra page(9 atm) for the turbo delay?
Old 04-12-2010, 06:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fathead
I gather this is a new feature in the latest firmware?
Yes there are a few differences and new feature in the new firmware.

Originally Posted by hacker
new firmware sounds good

so I assume you can use the standard hand held controller that will have an extra page(9 atm) for the turbo delay?
You can use the standard hand held controller or even just the button on the ESC if you want! No need to bring the computer to the track. The only time you will need the computer is to upload the new firmware when it is released.

I'll add my observations from the big race. This is no ordinary club race, with over 100 racers, its one of the bigger events in OZ.

Firstly as Dragonfire said, we had very limited time for testing and with more testing, we might still find more speed.

In practice the car really didn't look very fast, but, the lap times were very very good. I really thought the Tekin's would have an advantage in the races but I was wrong. Side by side down the straight, the Team Wave was just as fast as any other ESC. I believe that on a longer track the Team Wave would have been even faster, the car never stopped accelerating even on the longest straight.

Compared to the almighty Tekin cars, our cars were whisper quiet. I think the noise of the Tekin's make them appear faster than they really are! In general, noise means lost energy. Team Wave have always had very efficient speed controllers and I expect this to remain the same.

I finished third in Modified to make it a pretty good day for Team Wave. This was my first event in Mod and I have no doubt that the smoothness of my RB50 made my car easier to drive than others. I used a 5.5 with the turbo on and had equal speed to someone using a 4.5.

Stay tuned for more info, not long now till we will have the fastest ESC on the market again. A big thanks to Team Wave for the hard work.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 147 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Dragonfire
It doesn't seem to matter how experience you get, you can still always do something silly... All you can do is laugh sometimes...

Anyway on to some good news....

We have been beta testing various versions of software to suit the RB line of ESC's. For those that already race them the current turbo system has great bottom end but lacks top end compared to some of the latest offerings by other companies and this can be clearly seen on large tracks in classes like 17.5. Team Wave has worked very hard to catch back up so we have no disadvantage in spec classes and his latest beta software has made up alot of ground. Over the last weekend we ran the 1st round of our Club Challenge series and I used the saturday practice to test out this latest firmware and compare it to some of our countries fastest drivers.

I started with 17.5 and instantly noticed the bottom end had improved a lot of the previous beta. Top speed was also very very good and with the ESC wound up to its max settings I could do a full 5 min run with the motor coming of only slightly too hot. This impressed me a lot as I didn't have any fans on the motor. Bottom end still lacked a little compared to the fast guys but I was still able to match their lap times. As I was there to test for 10.5 I didn't try different FDR's to see if it could go better yet but was happy with the big improvements.

On to 10.5. Once again initial thoughts were the same as with 17.5. I needed more bottom end. I tried running a higher FDR but it seemed worse so dropped back and found a noticeable improvement. Because lower FDR's seemed better I though why not through more torque into the equation and changed motors... All I could say was WOW! out of nowhere I had good bottom end and to much top end! As heat was high but still ok I played around with settings and found higher timeshift with max turbo and a medium turbo delay worked very well on the track and gave good temps.

So on with sunday... and qual... I managed to TQ run one but only managed two 2nd places after that giving me 2nd overall. As the result was not important to me I was paying attention to where I was strong and weak in terms of motor. There were three guys that stood out in the 10.5 field... two tekins and one LRP. It was clear very quickly to me that even though they all looked fast from beside the track, I could run with ALL of them on the track! Neither the LRP or the Tekins could get away from me in the straights and I had even slightly more top end than the LRP driver!

So on with the finals and what a mess! I made a silly error in race 1 and then next lap got caught up with a car going sideways and got flipped. After being marshalled I very quickly caught up the latter 1/2 of the field as they were still fighting with each other. In just two laps I was back up to around forth! While the speed and power were both great the driveablity and throttle control is also very good still and allowed for me to take advantage of other peoples battles. I continued to catch and overtake car up to 2nd but with limited time I figured that was it... Luckly for me the leader had a xray with ECS so they failed and I got a win! 2nd final and off to a good start and after only two laps I get tapped in the rear and my body gets stuck! Once again from the back of the field I pass many cars and catch the front runners. I had a 2 lap battle with one guy and almost pass him around the outside up the straight and around a high speed sweeper from 1m behind! Soon I caught up to what looked like the car with the most motor power in the entire field. We battle for a bit and I get a good run onto the front straight. We ran side by side the entire length of the straight! I was amazed because this guys had amazing straight line performance with his Tekin setup and I had the exact same everything! Anyway got 3rd and was happy to get that from last again. Last run and things got off much better. Myself and TQ battle for a number of laps before I started to loose speed. I could catch his LRP setup down the straights (yes he was fast) but he was betting me in the turns. My change of tires was hurting me bad and I started to slowly loose ground to him. With about 3 laps to go 3rd got right up on me.. Another Tekin trying to school me but with better handling got really annoying but I still had enough power on the straights to halt his attack every time. Crossed the line for 2nd and overall win.

I was happy with the win for the 1st outing with this new firmware but I really don't care about the win. In all the battles I had I NEVER had less motor than anyone else and to top it off I came off at 68C after my last race compared to 83C of the winners motor only 3 seconds up the road. This performance is a big step forward and it is easy to control with only 3 options (currently) taking car of timing, turbo and turbo deployment and no laptop required. While we have plans to further improve and refine this firmware it is good to know that it is already just as fast as anything else and works on all RB ESC's. Hopefully we get a final version sorted soon so you all have an unfair advantage!
A little more detail next time please Troy....
Old 04-13-2010, 12:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Pablo and Dragonfart .. some of the funniest selective posting I have seen

You left a few details out. Like:

9/10 ESC in 17.5 were Tekin. And the Wave driver was using a Mamba?

Similar results in 21.5

At least 4/10 in 10.5 were running Tekin so not that slow (individual lap times shows almost the same)

And Mod? ... you forgot to mention it was slower than the 10.5 class

Troy .. hope Darren is feeling better
Old 04-13-2010, 02:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The latest Beta firmware we have been testing is a huge step forward the speedo is working better then it has ever. Still trying different settings to see what it can do between the time shift and the turbo. Max is working well to get where they need to be as well so it will be there in the near future.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:50 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by hacker
new firmware sounds good

There are no extra pages it will still be 1-9 for settings. Currently we have removed brake profile to use as another setting. I don't know what the final software options will be but the point is that it is not finished and it already is working very well. As I said I lacked nothing in motor performance and that is the thing that counts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.