Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New TEAM WAVE racing brushless system

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 12:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

The brakes are a big issue with the RB-s. I cant even pull my car up at the end of the straight with a 180d turn. Tried everything and still nothing. It even started getting worse through the run to the point were i had NO brakes what-so-ever
Old 02-07-2010, 02:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cvt01
Back from the raceday with rb-50 and rb-s firmware, here is what I've found:
- Brakes are somewhat weaker with the new software, there was a 180 hairpin at the end of the straigth and I had to brake much earlier than the rest of the field (an other rb user complained about this too). It can be that I just did not realize this before as this was the first time we had a turn like this since I got this speedo. In the infield the brakes were more than enoguh.
- speedpassion 13.5 V3 does not like this ESC , it actually was fastest with a lot of gearing turbo off timeshift 7. Turbo 2x and timeshift 3 and timeshift 7 did not show big difference. The best setup was turbo off, rollout 4.42, timeshift 7 max motor timing - but it came out kinda hot (185-190-ish).
- then we tested it with a corally 10.5 and that was a whole different ballgame. The motor screamed like crazy and it was wicked fast with turbo 2x timeshift 7 and 35mm rollout.

Too bad we must use the speedpassion in our class. , we had an spx and bench raced the same motor on both ESCs (car was free wheeling) and the SPX looked like it just gonna blow the motor while the rb was nothing great we have seen when the turbo kicking in but the timing advance did not do much except in the program #7.

Dear Teamwave, could you please look into the issue as I can't come up with a sensible explanation why the the SP V3 is acting up like that. "goingfast" posted this concern earlier in the thread, altough he uses a 17.5 turn one. These two are most probably the same just different winds...
Hey i'm not sure how this is but anyhow. I did some testing with my new b softwareware and found that you could time the motor (duo2 17.5) as much as i wanted without glitching that i used to get on my test original software. So with turbo 2 timeshift 4 to 5 and and max timing and 39mm rollout (5.1fdr) i found it had great top end and good low end power now. As before there was no bottom end power before turbo with a lot of motor timing there suddenly was. so i would recomend to try timing your v3 with turbo 2 if you havn't done so already. But as for brakes if you gear up a lot you will lose brakes but what i have found with the rb series speedies is that you try to max out your brakes on controller and then going from brake profile 1 and going up to 9 till you find it to be to much then dial back on your radio a little bit so that you always have some reserve if you need it. But i have always been amazed by the brakes in the rb. but if you can get turbo 2 working on the v3 then you will probably gear around 37mm rollout (5.4fdr) and have a lot of brakes. normally it has too much and locks my wheels and i have to dial it down.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:29 AM
Tech Regular

Oh and make sure you have your brakes set to 100 percent brake strenght in speedy.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:08 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by decibels
Oh and make sure you have your brakes set to 100 percent brake strenght in speedy.
i ran the rb-s with a 11.5T SP v3 and did not notice problems... anyway, the brakes on the rb-s is a bit weaker than other speedos i have tried (ie lrp and hobbywing) but i can still get by... in fact, anything more than 85% brakes locks my wheels at my local track...
Old 02-07-2010, 09:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Fried the RBS today while tryin each 1x and 2x turbo. What i notice was it smoked when i brake hard. Is it due to more than 95% brake has cause the esc to hit the turbo on reverse/brake mode? :cry

Whats the difference between the RB50 and the RBS?
Old 02-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

does anyone have a good base line set up for the RB-S
for WGT 1s 13.5 (duo 2)
track 100x60 high grip carpet

thanks
Casey
Old 02-07-2010, 01:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Decibels,

Which track were you using those settings at ?
I notice you say : max timing. Is this the static motor timing ?

The reason I ask, is that the esc manual ,from the Wave website, says to NOT add motor timing when using twin turbo.
Wondering if this is why people are blowing stuff up ?
Old 02-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

katze,

May I know your settings for the RBS and gearing with 11.5T Sp V3 motor?
Do u add motor timing as well?

I am about to run the same set up in a T3 and the track is pretty long (150ft)

Thanks.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

just incase if someone is looking for one

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...r-17-5-bl.html

thanks !
Old 02-07-2010, 07:13 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 29TC
katze,

May I know your settings for the RBS and gearing with 11.5T Sp V3 motor?
Do u add motor timing as well?

I am about to run the same set up in a T3 and the track is pretty long (150ft)

Thanks.
my track is tighter....

my setup as follows:

FDR: 5.4
Turbo: 2x
Timeshift: 5
Drive Profile: 5
Brake Profile: 5
Lipo Cut: Off
Thermal Cut: Off

my motor timing is stock...
Old 02-07-2010, 11:13 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by fleetmaster
Decibels,

The reason I ask, is that the esc manual ,from the Wave website, says to NOT add motor timing when using twin turbo.
Just in general i do not care about track if it is fast then it is fast and gearing might change 1 tooth either way depending on weather and layout.
But i looked at running timing once before with my novak 17.5 and i beleive the novaks can time a lot of positive timing. because on the motor checker the esc got confused and went from 4000+kv back to about 3300kv and didn't sound right!! but i didn't like the timing on old software either it didn't sound smooth. but the new b version software of rbs seems to have a little less boost so to speak as i originally got over 6000kv and am now in the 5000 bracket but with full timing on motor (duo2) it reads 7300kv which is in the 60000 rpm bracket and it really sounds smooth and drives nice. now each motor will be different so if timing up go slowly and if it does not sound right then back it off as i don't want people to damage there rc gear. but i'm talking about getting to tekin speed which i feel this is. but mostly with timing the bottom end before turbo feels so much better which i have been trying to get my head around for a while.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by fleetmaster
Decibels,

Originally Posted by decibels
Just in general i do not care about track if it is fast then it is fast and gearing might change 1 tooth either way depending on weather and layout.
But i looked at running timing once before with my novak 17.5 and i beleive the novaks can time a lot of positive timing. because on the motor checker the esc got confused and went from 4000+kv back to about 3300kv and didn't sound right!! but i didn't like the timing on old software either it didn't sound smooth. but the new b version software of rbs seems to have a little less boost so to speak as i originally got over 6000kv and am now in the 5000 bracket but with full timing on motor (duo2) it reads 7300kv which is in the 60000 rpm bracket and it really sounds smooth and drives nice. now each motor will be different so if timing up go slowly and if it does not sound right then back it off as i don't want people to damage there rc gear. but i'm talking about getting to tekin speed which i feel this is. but mostly with timing the bottom end before turbo feels so much better which i have been trying to get my head around for a while.
I tried RB-S "b" firmware on my RB50 with a Linear 10.5 motor that I put a Duo1 endbell onto. It came alive with more timming(middle hole). The limiting factor was temp. It had good rip and speed even when overgeared. I didn't melt anything as I was checking temps every minute or so.

With my RB-S with standard firmware, it was better with some motor timing but got confused(flashing red light) with too much timming. I will try the b firmware and more timing.

All my testing is in 10.5. I will start some 17.5 testing very soon. In 10.5 I wouldn't swap my Team Wave for anything, we need to get a bit more out of 17.5's though. It seems to me that the higher winds of motors are responding well to the massive amounts of timing that the Tekins and Castles can add. I'm sure we will get there with more time.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)
Default cogging with turbo 2

im having serious cogging issues with the rb-s with turbo 2.

turbo off, and turbo 1 is fine, just turbo 2 is cogging really bad on a speedpassion 17.5

on time shift 3, but I dont think it will make a difference on lower time shift.

might have to try the lastest rb-s upgrade, but I started to pull all my electronics gear out in frustration and wont know if the latest software will fix it.

anyone with cogging issues on turbo2?

I know people have it worst....full reverse haha
Old 02-08-2010, 01:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Thanks for the responses guys.
I'm trying the RB-S this friday night with my Novak SS 21.5

I have geared it to 42.5mm rollout (45.6 mm with SPX).
Timeshift @ 4
Twin turbo.
Profile 7.
Max. motor timing.

Will post results.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hacker
im having serious cogging issues with the rb-s with turbo 2.

turbo off, and turbo 1 is fine, just turbo 2 is cogging really bad on a speedpassion 17.5

on time shift 3, but I dont think it will make a difference on lower time shift.

might have to try the lastest rb-s upgrade, but I started to pull all my electronics gear out in frustration and wont know if the latest software will fix it.

anyone with cogging issues on turbo2?

I know people have it worst....full reverse haha
I've recently loaded the RB-S onto a RB-50 and have run that with a SP 17.5 V3 motor with full motor timing and have had no issues running on turbo 1 or 2, my TS was set to 5,6 and 7 but had no cogging effect.
I also read that the cogging issues are across the board for speed controls manufacturers, so I think its more of a motor issue over a SC deal, just have to figure out where the limits are in each case. All in all I'm pretty happy with the TW RB-50 using the RB-S for spec class racing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.