R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   HAS ANYBODY ELSE NOTICED THIS (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/214236-has-anybody-else-noticed.html)

pug 205 gti 03-27-2008 10:45 AM

HAS ANYBODY ELSE NOTICED THIS

I dont think i will be the only person who has noticed this in the rc industry.
but alot of different companies seem to sell the same products just packaged or coloured differently etc .Here is an obvious example LRP and NOSRAM.
IT seem the case with alot of other stuff too.
I guess what i want to know is why and how?
thanks

syndr0me 03-27-2008 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by pug 205 gti (Post 4300956)
I dont think i will be the only person who has noticed this in the rc industry.
but alot of different companies seem to sell the same products just packaged or coloured differently etc .Here is an obvious example LRP and NOSRAM.
IT seem the case with alot of other stuff too.
I guess what i want to know is why and how?
thanks

I think in some cases (like LRP/Nosram) it's possible that one company acquired the other, or they merged, but still try to provide products to their respective audiences, since brand loyalty means something. In other cases, like with the Feigao brushless motors, it's just people getting something from an OEM and slapping their sticker on it so they can easily provide a product to their loyal customers without having to invest in the tooling, R&D, etc. I think it's common in business, and certainly not specific to R/C.

Hebiki 03-27-2008 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by syndr0me (Post 4301021)
I think in some cases (like LRP/Nosram) it's possible that one company acquired the other, or they merged, but still try to provide products to their respective audiences, since brand loyalty means something. In other cases, like with the Feigao brushless motors, it's just people getting something from an OEM and slapping their sticker on it so they can easily provide a product to their loyal customers without having to invest in the tooling, R&D, etc. I think it's common in business, and certainly not specific to R/C.

yup... definitely VERY common.

Toyota Corolla becomes the Lexus IS250/350.... Volkswagen Beetle has the same chassis (slightly revised of course) as the Audi TT... Audi A4 = VW Jetta...

GMC Yukon = Chevy Tahoe, Lincoln Navigator = Ford Expedition. etc.

AdrianM 03-27-2008 12:07 PM

A Volvo S40 uses the same chassis and motor as the Mazda 3.

pug 205 gti 03-27-2008 12:09 PM

Well i thought id add one that i know of the ford mondeo uses the same parts as the baby jaguar.

dr_hfuhuhurr 03-27-2008 12:11 PM

Spam uses the same ingredients as alpo...

RodneyB 03-27-2008 04:18 PM

Margarine is relabeled OEM butter.

Sabin 03-27-2008 04:22 PM

I view this as an opportunity to find the common product and go for whatever costs less.

boscoj 03-27-2008 04:29 PM

The VW R32 is the same platform as the Audi A3 and TT, similar to the Jetta but AWD, last year . . .

The Audi B5 A4 is the same as the VW B5 Passat without Quattro.

Not up to date on the current models.

Ike 03-27-2008 04:35 PM

Most of you guys are confusing platform/parts sharing in cars with rebadging, which is essentially what a lot of RC companies do. The S40 doesn't share the same engine with the Mazda 3. Also, most of the cars being compared as equals in this thread simply share some parts or the basic chassis...

I think what the original poster is talking about is nearly the exact same product being relabeled under different brands. Such as the case with a Nosram speedo and an LRP... The Ice charger and the Checkpoint charger is another example, essentially the same but with a couple different features. The automotive comparison to that would be something more along the lines of the Saab 9-2X Aero and the Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon. ;)

Ed Anderson 03-27-2008 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr (Post 4301181)
Spam uses the same ingredients as alpo...

LMAO.. can I use that?

beta bob 03-27-2008 04:42 PM

Your now catching on to that:rolleyes:. I am surprised you guys didn't say anything about Team Orion and Peak Racing having all the same stuff??? The funny part about it is that team orion comes out with the things and peak racing sticks thier sticker on it and sell it for more money.

KHoff7 03-27-2008 04:42 PM

Except the wrx and the sabb ore the same inside not so much outside.

Rufus2000 03-27-2008 04:51 PM

its the same thing that happens in other industries, such as the home appliance or computer industry, where you have the OEMs (original equipment manufacturers) that are typically very efficient low cost high volume producers (in china, taiwan, etc) those guys basically manufacture the product and sell it to a bunch of other companies (u.s., europe, etc) what these other companies do is give the product a brand, handle the marketing in their territories ,as well as customer support and distribution channels. So sometimes, if there is a non-exclusive agreement between OEM and distributor, the OEM is free to sell the product it manufactures to other companies, or even sell it under its own brand.

Ike 03-27-2008 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by KHoff7 (Post 4301894)
Except the wrx and the sabb ore the same inside not so much outside.

It has almost all the exact same body panels with some different molding slapped on here and there.