Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
2008 Novak Race any magazine coverage this year? >

2008 Novak Race any magazine coverage this year?

2008 Novak Race any magazine coverage this year?

Old 03-21-2008, 04:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default 2008 Novak Race any magazine coverage this year?

Does anyone know if any of the magazines did or are planning to provide any coverage and photo's of the 2008 Novak race?

Thanks
Old 03-22-2008, 05:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I was wondering the same thing. I just thought I missed it!!!
Old 03-22-2008, 07:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hodge used to do it for RC Car, Shane did it for XRC and I was the one who did it for Driver since Trackside was my home track. I don't think RCCA has ever done coverage for the Novak Race. But since then Todd retired, Shane moved to Cali, and I moved from Milwaukee so Trackside is no-longer my home track. It does cost a considerable amount for the Mags to pay to have someone travel to an event... Just think of the Rental Car and Airfaire... Those two alone cost the mag about $400-$700. The magazines are businesses that aren't independantly wealthy. They need to be very picky on where they spend their monies at. And honestly they don't recoup a ton of money from race coverage. I only saw Joel Navarro last week at the ROAR nats in comparison as well. No Driver...No RC Car..but most surprisingly to me was No XRC who (and this is NOT a shot) has the perception as the "Racer's Magazine".
Old 03-22-2008, 07:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I saw Joel at the Novak Race too, which surprised me to not see any coverage of the event. However, he did do a fantastic job at Nats. Would hav been nice to see something on the first ever brushless only event.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

My son won the sportsman class. The event has always had magazine ceverage and like you said Joel was there.

Hopefully someone will step in and let us know.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:15 AM
Tech Master

All of the results were on with the internet so it doesn't matter if there was any magazine coverage.Besides,after reading a typical magazine report of a race one would think that the only racers that competed were the pro/sponsored drivers.There usually isn't any mention of the B,C,D, etc. mains.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:19 PM
Tech Master

We didn't cover it until Shane was actually local and went to it. I'm sure many of you are aware of the slower market and how Touring isn't as popular as it once would. We had to cut back on some race coverage and since we cover the IIC and snowbirds (all which fall around the same time frame) we decided that we had enough carpet touring coverage in a short period.

There are way to many races, and because I'd rather give 10 pages to a race than to have little spreads of lots of races we cover you'll see a more focused race schedule from us this year.

It costs us the same to go cover a race not matter how many pages we give it, it becomes, I hate to use waste of time, but a waste of time for both parties. We have 12 issues and roughly 100 pages of editorial a month. I'd like to limit race coverage to 1 a month, but with so many classes we might have 2, sometimes we might have none depending on the time of year. But I can list like 30 races a year that are popular.

I will be announcing a new "idea" shortly, which may make local races more happy.