Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Practice Options

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 09:14 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I've been doing some research, and I'm seriously considering putting together an RCP track in my basement, and going with a 1/24 pan car. Check it:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...14604191748074

Serpent seems to be working on a car called the s240 (1/24 pan) that looks promising. (Pics.) There's also the TGR Sinister. Anything to get some wheel time I guess.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:06 AM
Tech Regular

Hi sydrome

I,m really glad youve brought to light the mini z option for improving driving etc.
I,ve been looking at mini z cars but theirs so many options, models? and i havent a clue what i would be getting for the money.Anyone care to share there knowledge.
I have sufficient space for a track myself so this thread will be of great interest to me.
After visiting the atomic web site i was amazed at how much some of there top chassis cost but i guess you get what you pay for like anything else in life!.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:15 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by pug 205 gti
Hi sydrome

I,m really glad youve brought to light the mini z option for improving driving etc.
I,ve been looking at mini z cars but theirs so many options, models? and i havent a clue what i would be getting for the money.Anyone care to share there knowledge.
I have sufficient space for a track myself so this thread will be of great interest to me.
After visiting the atomic web site i was amazed at how much some of there top chassis cost but i guess you get what you pay for like anything else in life!.
Pug,

It seems like the Mini-Z's are expensive when you upgrade them somewhat, and have quite a few limitations. That's why I've been instead looking at the 1/24 Pan Cars, like the Sinister and S240. The price is a lot more reasonable, and it appears they handle better than the Mini-Z's. I'm not sure if I want to hold out for Serpent, or give the Sinister car a try.

As for the RCP track, I was thinking I could create something about this size with the space I have available. In the comments, they said the track was made of "1 Wide L, and about 2 wide ovals." Unfortunately, that's about $500 in RCP track. Not cheap, but if you can get a bunch of wheel time, it seems like a drop in the bucket compared to the greater expense of R/C, especially considering how much it might get used.

I could definitely see where something like that might translate to improved driving with bigger cars. The more time you spend with the radio in your hand, the better... right?
Old 03-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Tech Regular

Hi Syndrome

I,ve looked at the track vid and it all looks impressive to me.
I totally agree that it could and will give you an edge on your wheel skills etc
As im in the uk and we do suffer considerably in the cost of things like petrol(gasoline) Its $10.50 a gallon and rising!!yes this is true!!!
So if i was able to practice more at home thus enjoying the racing more at the track, The ever rising petrol cost etc would not hurt as much as i would be enjoy racing more and in theory spend less time fixing my car after the usual argument with the boards hehe!.

I see your looking into the original track components? hmm i think you could look into the raw materials to make your own? maybe put your personnel touch on things.it might bring the cost down of the track??
You could get some 8x4 boards cut them to shapes required use some spray adhesive to apply the material (thin cheap carpet) and your away.
Maybe it would take some time and DIY skills but it like ive suggested it may save money??.
thanks for pointing out the pan chassis kits they look much high spec to me
I think my 1/18 scale buggie is up for sale as of next week to fund my new project.
Are serpent a uk based company?
thanks gary
Old 03-22-2008, 10:46 AM
Tech Lord

Gary,

I have some of the mats from "getrung.com" that I use for my home gym. I see there's been some talk of using them for R/C tracks, but they're just okay. Apparently, the RCP mats are textured specifically for R/C racing. I guess that's kind of like how Ozite carpet is better than some other cheap outdoor carpet? I dunno. I do need to go with something modular and easy to remove, though, lest I feel the wrath of my wife. :-) We were lucky enough to get a nicely finished basement, so the space is usable for many things, and can't permanently house an R/C track.

Our gas prices are nowhere near where you're at, but they're still higher than ever, and it certainly plays into the desire to go on long drives. Things here are spread out, and seemingly built on the assumption that gas would always be cheap. Getting around by automobile is the only option in most cities, and often, you go quite far to race, since the fringes of town are where rent is cheap, and that's about all R/C tracks can afford with the current state of the hobby.

Anyway, I'm going to continue my research and formulate a plan. The 1/24 cars seem fairly advanced, but I'd think at that scale, you would want something that can stick to the track so you're not fighting traction rolls, or having to slow down too much for cornering. I'd prefer something that more closely mimics the dynamics of a larger car.

I'm not sure about where Serpent is located.

Hi Syndrome

I,ve looked at the track vid and it all looks impressive to me.
I totally agree that it could and will give you an edge on your wheel skills etc
As im in the uk and we do suffer considerably in the cost of things like petrol(gasoline) Its $10.50 a gallon and rising!!yes this is true!!!
So if i was able to practice more at home thus enjoying the racing more at the track, The ever rising petrol cost etc would not hurt as much as i would be enjoy racing more and in theory spend less time fixing my car after the usual argument with the boards hehe!.

I see your looking into the original track components? hmm i think you could look into the raw materials to make your own? maybe put your personnel touch on things.it might bring the cost down of the track??
You could get some 8x4 boards cut them to shapes required use some spray adhesive to apply the material (thin cheap carpet) and your away.
Maybe it would take some time and DIY skills but it like ive suggested it may save money??.
thanks for pointing out the pan chassis kits they look much high spec to me
I think my 1/18 scale buggie is up for sale as of next week to fund my new project.
Are serpent a uk based company?
thanks gary
Old 03-22-2008, 11:44 AM
Tech Regular

syn
when you,ve formulated your plan please be as kind to share it with me as i would like to share your views and get some sort of home based action going on!!
oh and serpent is dutch/neitherlands which is a shame as i thought they were uk based.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:02 PM
Tech Regular

SYN

I think ive found a real nice chassis.The link here shows the kit along with a nice video clip. http://www.pro-z.com/tcz.html
I,m amazed how well this car goes.Its unfortunate they have none is stock at the moment.
cheers
Old 03-24-2008, 12:09 PM
Tech Lord

SYN

I think ive found a real nice chassis.The link here shows the kit along with a nice video clip. http://www.pro-z.com/tcz.html
I,m amazed how well this car goes.Its unfortunate they have none is stock at the moment.
cheers
Hah, I came across that last night as well! A 4wd 1/28 chassis is pretty amazing, huh? I'll definitely keep an eye on Pro-Z and see where things go. In the meantime, I'm feeling pretty certain about giving the Sinister a try. The folks at AtomicMods say the kits they have in stock have all the updates (quick battery change, etc.) It also appears the mats I use for my home gym are the exact mats most people use as an alternative to RCP, which makes the track surface portion of this experiment much easier to swallow. I've got about 12'x24' of space to work with, with the possibility of extending one portion out beyond 30' for a long straight. If this all comes together, I'll get some pictures and video of the whole thing, and create a new thread on the subject. The miniaturization of R/C has advanced quite a bit since I last looked into it, and it seems as though it could be a very viable alternative for providing larger scale racers with easy access to practice. I'm very excited about it.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

mini-z helps. we had some mini-z guys go to 1/10th scale cars and did fantastic right away so there must be some similarities. I have an RCP track in my basement. I dont know how much it helps me personally. Ive only been using the standard mini-z transmitters and they arent very good.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:26 PM
Tech Regular

The pro z seems to be more like the 1/10 tourers rather than the pan car style of the sinister.Ive also emailed atomic on shipment of the sinister too.
what electronics are you planning to use? As this is the area that has me confused.I have the sanwa m11 and im hoping to use it?
have you yet looked it to that side of things.
Oh and the other thing is those nice matts do they ship to europe uk.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:08 PM
Tech Lord

The thing that scared me away from the Mini-Z is that I couldn't use my existing transmitter (DX3R). The TGR Sinister "Pro" comes with the TGR Spinner ESC, which is tiny and appears to be well-suited to the car. TGR also has a small servo which they picked out for use with the car. I figure I'll combine those with a tiny Spektrum receiver, pick up a few AAA NiMH packs & motor, and give it a go. $9 for a AAA pack is pretty sweet. There don't appear to be many brushless options, but since I'm not racing, I don't care if the motors slow down a bit.

It's good to hear that Mini-Z guys are doing well with bigger cars. I'm figuring that any wheel time with the radio in my hand is a good thing on some level. Almost like practicing fundamentals or something.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Syn,
Your experience sounds somewhat similar to mine. My true passion is nitro on-road but in my local area the closest track is two hours away, which is just too far for me to go every week to race. Instead I have tried 18th scale in a friends basement, electric offroad, electric carpet oval and TC/12th on carpet.

The 18th was great for developing my reflexes but I learned very little about setup. Also I found a need to change things up a lot to keep my interest. After awhile I found I was just ready for a "BIG" car. Plenty of fun just not as fulfilling as real racing.

Oval was a learning experience but just not my thing. I understand the appeal but just wanted to turn right too much.

I started with offroad way back in the day and recently have begun racing that again. I will say I believe that 2wd Mod will develop your driving better than any other. It's very interesting driving a car with buttloads of power and no traction.

My single best piece of advice however is this. Unless you want to improve a specific car at a specific track, the most important thing is to practice with others. The more the merrier. Setup can be learned very easily and most often sticktime is sticktime but competition is a huge component not easily replicated. So if you build that track in your basement make sure to invite friends, neighbors, the mailman, you name it. If you race somewhere, go where the biggest crowds are. We are competing and you need competition to thrive in that pursuit.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:04 AM
Tech Regular

After doing some scouting on the net ive found a place in the uk that produces those nice tiles for the track.They come in different styles too.some have a nice smooth carpet finish or even grass finish for the off road guys.here is the link
http://www.softfloor.co.uk/
Old 03-27-2008, 10:05 AM
Tech Lord

After doing some scouting on the net ive found a place in the uk that produces those nice tiles for the track.They come in different styles too.some have a nice smooth carpet finish or even grass finish for the off road guys.here is the link
http://www.softfloor.co.uk/
Even though there seems to be some snobbery about using the RCP tiles, I've seen plenty of indications that more generic tiles are fine for just screwing around. AtomicMods even sells an "econo" tile which you can see here. Oddly enough, they use the exact same picture as the tiles you can get from getrung.com. I already had a ton of those tiles for my home gym, so I'm just going to flip them over and use the rough side for the car. :-)

The Sinister should be here today. It'll take me a little while to get everything setup and test it out, but I'll report back once I do. I may start a new thread on the subject. I've been reading around the last few days, and it seems like a lot of larger scale racers use mini-z racing in the off-season to keep their skills sharp. The general opinion is that the skills translate very well between scales.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:25 AM
Tech Regular

Syn
Will you pm me with a list of the things you have ordered with the sinister pro kit.
Then i can get the same stuff.that way it will be easy to bounce ideas of each other.
cheers
And regarding the snobbery and the rcp track.each to their own i say.
im getting the stuff from softfloor uk it looks just the same as the stuff advertised on atomic mods site.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.