Wiki Posts
Search

Hudy Lathe Issues.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 02:53 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Hudy Lathe Issues.

I've had my hudy lathe for quite some time now, and lately the cuts have been going downhill.

Currently, it only cuts on the back stroke, and a very ugly cut at that.

It is a diamond bit, and isn't chipped, all the tolerances are still tight as far as the adjustments go, so I'm looking for other ideas of what might be wrong with my lathe.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:13 PM
Tech Master

Does it have V guides or ball bearings? If it has ball bearings their probably the problem.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:37 PM
RCTech Member #2

Originally posted by spongebob
Does it have V guides or ball bearings? If it has ball bearings their probably the problem.
It has ball bearing guides, and i do realize that the bearings gain some slop after usage, but I don't see how it would cause the problems that i am having.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:38 PM
Tech Adept

I have seen many problems (including my own) caused BB's going bad, most people can cut right to left but when they move the bit back accross to "catches" the comm and messes it up. Some people have even resorted to supergluing the BB's turning them into the V guides.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:50 PM
RCTech Member #2

Originally posted by Ian S
I have seen many problems (including my own) caused BB's going bad, most people can cut right to left but when they move the bit back accross to "catches" the comm and messes it up. Some people have even resorted to supergluing the BB's turning them into the V guides.
Hmm, not a bad idea with the CA.

It's wierd, because i set the bit to cut, and the second i start moving right to left, it stops cutting, but then on the backstroke, left to right it cuts, and a crap cut at that.

I knew bearings gained slop, and expected that, but i did not know they caused issues like this. I had a different understanding of the bearing problems.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:02 PM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Copper swarf might have gotten into your bearings... tried cleaning them out?

Also check if your bit is mounted tight. It might have loosened on the shims.

I run a Hudy too (very new), but I'm finding the cut is better going L-R ie from windings side of armature cutting to 'off' the comm. Its shinier than doing it the other way.

I withdraw the bit & do not cut on backstroke.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:15 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

You should be able to pin in the V guides without having to buy the whole support block for them. Might want to see if Serpent USA has any in stock...
Old 07-14-2003, 08:59 PM
RCTech Member #2

Originally posted by WC
Copper swarf might have gotten into your bearings... tried cleaning them out?

Also check if your bit is mounted tight. It might have loosened on the shims.
The bearings are fine. They spin free, and don't seem overly sloppy.

I just tore apart the lathe, rebuilt it to make sure all the grub screws were tight. I tightened up the one set once in the past, so i just wanted to make sure they were all adjusted correctly.

I haven't put an arm on it yet though, I need to find where I put my old burnt arm before i ''test'' it on a good motor.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:00 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Hope it works man, good luck!
Old 07-14-2003, 09:15 PM
RCTech Member #2

Originally posted by Randman
Hope it works man, good luck!
If it doesn't, I'll just have to give Serpent USA a call and see about getting those V-blocks. If something wasn't loose or tweaked, then it must be the bearings, which seem fine, but who knows..

Thanks for all the ideas, I'd test it now, but I need to get the rest of my packs cycled. I've been running some carpet racing during the week, and the down time from running nitro made some of my packs cranky last week!
Old 07-14-2003, 09:55 PM
Tech Adept

In general lathes are designed to cut in one direction only. You should withdraw the bit on the return stroke, or turn off the lathe and return the bit while it is over a comm slot for the next stroke (the method I personally use). If you're using a diamond bit, it most assuredly is damaged but may not be apparent to the naked eye. Contrary to popular belief, diamond bits are very fragile and for this reason personally I only recommend and use carbide tipped bits. A cheap check would be to buy a carbide tipped bit and see if your cutting problems go away. Cut in only one direction, from the end of the comm toward the tabs. Make sure the bit is correctly mounted in the holder in relation to the comm centerline per the lathe setup instructions. As mentioned before the ball bearings could be causing you a problem. I have learned the hard way that carbide V blocks is the only way to go (make sure that you oil them prior to each use and check frequently).
Old 07-15-2003, 08:07 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

If you have not tried this already it may be worth a go. Loosen your bit and rotate it about 3-5 deg offset...lock it down and try a cut again. This is what the guy at the LHS told me to do when the diamond bit got old. No harm in trying!
Old 07-15-2003, 08:43 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi , I wonder what voltage you guys use for your DC comm lathe,

i use 3 cells 2400 with a 44 turn slave motor, I feel the motor is spining a bit too fast , what do you suggest, 2 cells?
Old 07-15-2003, 09:25 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

how slow do you want to go...I run 4 cells on a 55T!
Old 07-15-2003, 11:51 AM
RCTech Member #2

I use 3-4v with my Hudy lathe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.