R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-09-2008, 05:39 PM   #1
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Touring Car Gearing

Still, after all this time, i find gearing these 4wd sedans confusing. Granted i'm currently doin the 1/18th variety, however similar situations occur with gearing.

when i was young, u geared the car so u could make 5 (later 4) minutes. being deadly certain that u werent overgeared and kill your motor and dumping with 1-2laps to go. little bit undergeared wasnt so bad.

nowadays, i'd really like to finally figure out what i need to do to find out where i am and what changes need to be made. i am able to temp the car and for most part decypher how its pulling around the track. the theory from the days of yore and my 'old world' thinking of 'gear it so it tops out just before braking on the straight' do not seem to work.

from what little i've read undergearing is almost as bad as overgearing. i currently run in a stock class which is almost a nightmare to figure out (moreso since the motors, which are suppose to be the same, vary more than their bigger 540 brothers).

i'd like to ask some methods, theories, expreriences, etc on this issue to help all. thank you for the time.

UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote