Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to really improve your company's market share in the R/c community

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 04:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

...anyone ever watch "MONSTER TRUCK" racing on TV?

Does it make you want to go BUY a Monster Truck? Not hardly...but companies advertise on those shows...

also, while on the subject of MONSTER TRUCKS - anyone ever notice there is one called "T-MAXX"?

...and on the name on the side of it it not only says "T-MAXX" but it says TRAXXAS "T-MAXX"

I bet at the races...in their merchandise area - they have "T-MAXX" R/C Trucks for sale.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

ROAR does not sponsor events
hmmm, Maybe ROAR should -

Dawn...whadda ya think?

(I talked NORRCA into sponsoring the Snowbirds ONCE - figured w/ 800 people there for a WEEK - it couldn't hurt to spend the sponsorship $$$ and be able to hang a BANNER at the track....)
Old 03-10-2008, 04:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc3team
There is no "you and us" when sponsored and unsponsored racers gather at the track unless:

a) unsponsored racers are jealous and / or have something against the sponsored racer.
b) sponsored racers make the other racers feel like the slower racer
c) sponsored racers turn up, race and go home without making an effort to help the said club or chat to the locals.
Here' another option:

d) The vast majority of sponsored racers served as propaganda mouthpieces for the battery matchers and motor tuners who sponsor them and did everything possible to hold back LiPo and BL so those companies could continue selling disposable batteries and disposable motors to racers.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

I guess you guys got screwed w/ your local fast guys. Locally the fast guys will do everything they possibly can to make sure people are running fast so that they can have some good comp. I think these new li//bl classes will make things run much smoother for newbs though. You could see the frustration in a racers face when their $600 r/c car failed to finish a race because their $60 battery dumped on them.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
I used to think the video game crowd was the right market, but now I'm not so sure. Gaming is very much about instant gratification. R/C is a lot of great things, but instant definitely isn't one of them.

Men in their early 30's on are probably the target audience for R/C. It's great to get kids involved, but the mentality of today's youth, especially with all the distractions isn't really conducive to R/C racing. I think as people get a little older, they look for things with more depth.
I agree completely. What kid is going to shell out 600 bucks on a car that he has to build himself?
Old 03-11-2008, 03:33 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Leodis
Here' another option:

d) The vast majority of sponsored racers served as propaganda mouthpieces for the battery matchers and motor tuners who sponsor them and did everything possible to hold back LiPo and BL so those companies could continue selling disposable batteries and disposable motors to racers.
A stock motor is a stock motor to me, I dont spend hours tuning them either- Obviously I want to do well wherever I race but I dont go OTT, trinity xxx hard brushes kept clean and a skim once a meeting is all I do, as for cells most of mine are loose unmatched packs, make of that what you want to

I guess it all depends on where you race and the sponsored guy turnout ratio to unsponsored

Sure, ive considered a cell and motor deal, but a) the price wasnt right and b) who wants to have uber high voltage cells and a fresh motor for every run or two when you only club race?

I wouldnt like being like that, it kills the racing.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default leodis

Leodis, 100% right. At my local track, the guys who run brushless and lipo haven't bought a battery or motor in months (except for some who picked up a 17.5, and those switching to bl and lipo), but that doesn't help the r/c market in general.

I think the biggest thing holding back r/c companies is the ridiculous costs of things in r/c (better with bl and lipo, but $35 for a set of tires?), the rabid competitive atmosphere, and the relative lack of new racers.

I also think that tracks should get a lot of the blame for the little to no marketing that they do.

BUT, this thread is really focusing on racing, because last time I looked, traxxas is doing fine with 60% of the entire r/c market.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by billjacobs
traxxas is doing fine with 60% of the entire r/c market.
Just wondering where you got this statistic?
Old 03-11-2008, 08:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billjacobs
I think the biggest thing holding back r/c companies is the ridiculous costs of things in r/c (better with bl and lipo, but $35 for a set of tires?),
This post is proof that BL + LiPo is spoiling us rotten. Now that we're not spending nearly as much money on motors and batteries, we've turned our attention on how much cash we spend on tires. Personally, I don't mind buying lots of tires from the track because I know that cash helps keep the doors open.

the rabid competitive atmosphere,
That's what I like the most about racing. That said, I think you can be competitive and have fun at the same time. Of course, there's always "that guy" who never seems to have fun and actively tries to ruin the fun for everyone else.

and the relative lack of new racers.
This is related to my resentment towards some of the sponsored guys, Let's face it, many RC racers act like they have a slight case of autism. I have no idea why companies waste their money sponsoring guys who have hardly any "people skills". I travel a lot for my job and can't tell you how many times I've gone to a track for the first time and felt like I was interrupting a private poker game. And we wonder why it's so difficult attracting new blood to the hobby?

But there's always an exception to the rule. For example, a local sponsored guy does such a great job of promoting Company X that the track owner actually advises noobs to buy stuff from Company X because this sponsored guy goes out of his way to answer all of the noobs questions and makes sure that the noobs have fun with their new gear. That's how it should be.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Are you guys talking about R/C market share or making racing popular?

This is racing so it is natural for companies to sign up Drivers who not only promote the product but test and help with refinements just like any form of racing......

I guess some companies can do a better job of screening drivers but most of the ones i've met are nice and actually help develop brand loyalty. In the defense of some drivers getting bashed on the forums. There are a lot of examples of guys acting like they are owed something by the sponsored drivers just because they bought a product that the sponsored drivers represent.

This is one of a few forms of racing where the top drivers are available and willing to help for the most part even when you don't own a product that they represent.....
Old 03-11-2008, 07:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Barry Baker verses hundreds of retail hobby clerks across the USA .... Which one really has the power to make the difference for your companys market share of the r/c community ? Think about it ? Sponsored racer`s really are a poor method of retail marketing & promotion....
Actually, it's Barry Baker in 100,000 magazine advertisements across the USA versus some club race guy behind the counter. You assume that every person behind the counter has the ability or the knowledge to effectively change the consumers mind without ruining a "DONE DEAL" sale in the first place.

let's say I'm Joe average consumer. I'm interested in the hobby. I see big advertisements in the magazines with Barry Baker in them holding some car that won an event, it wasn't Barry that won, but he was holding the car.

...Man, I love hackin' on Barry... ...lol...

To further analyze this, it's likely going to be some smaller company that would try something like that, what you would have is a company called Joe's cars offering the deal, as it's not likely to come from Associated, XRAY, Losi, HPI, Schumacher, Corally, Hot Bodies. So what real service have you done this customer? How many cars not on the list of 7 are doing any massive domination of events here in North America?

Also, the first time said consumer races somewhere else with his "Balooga-master X-45", and all the locals ask him what the hell is that? While Chuckling they would say, who sold you that piece of crap? That's when they ask why you didn't pick up the Barry Baker special? you reply with the shop owner recommended the "Balooga-master" instead of the Barry Baker car. And that's the last you've seen on of that guy in your shop.

So I as the consumer, ignoring all the great mail order ads, simply whip into some local shop looking for that car. Why exactly is it that you would want to talk me into something I didn't want or ask for?

What you want to do has nothing to do with the consumer, and everything to do with saving the guy behind the counter a buck. Or you'd simply sell them exactly what they asked for.

Just my .02, Doesn't make it right either, just an opinion.
-Bob

Mostly, I just wanted to hack on Barry, it's kind of a hobby in and of itself.
<...he's so gonna knee me in the groin the next time I see him...>

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 03-11-2008 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:37 AM
Tech Regular

Top team racers don't bring any new blood to the hobby. All they do is sway existing racers from one brand to another. But many of them do good work for the companies they represent.

Up until recently Tamiya did not race at top level yet their kits were resposible for most of new blood to the hobby. The reason is that their kits were aim at beginners, good price. good quality, easy to built, and most clubs around the world had spec races for them. Oh and they make the effort to make the cars look real which is important to newcommers.

We did have a local rc company set up an off road track but local residents complained and got it shut down. They were looking for a new venue but hard to find somewhere around here.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:33 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
Actually, it's Barry Baker in 100,000 magazine

let's say I'm Joe average consumer. I'm interested in the hobby. I see big advertisements in the magazines with Barry Baker in them holding some car that won an event, it wasn't Barry that won, but he was holding the car.

-Bob
Still say just 100 retail hobby clerk`s sponsored by a smart manufacture would sell more product for that manufacture compared to what a Barry Baker could do for them.....
Old 03-12-2008, 10:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Still say just 100 retail hobby clerk`s sponsored by a smart manufacture would sell more product for that manufacture compared to what a Barry Baker could do for them.....
Are you high? (oh wait, wrong person to ask) 100 minimum wage sales clerks are going to out sell the global advertising campaign of a major touring car manufacturer?

This could be a great way for Nikko to break into the competative RC arena. Headline: Barry Baker wins the Snowbirds with a Nikko Aston Martin DBS 007

Old 03-12-2008, 02:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Cool

Originally Posted by JevUK
I think novak do a good PR job by hosting race meetings. I would like to see more manufactures sponsoring tracks and clubs.
I have to totally agree with you on this. The novak race is a great race to attend, novak will even help you with no novak products.

Originally Posted by jiml
There aren't enough racers to support that type of show. More than 90% of people with RC cars do not race.
More than 75% of the people in the city I live in race their rc cars. Given that even though the local shop doesn't have much of a program they still race.

Originally Posted by jonrg
Sorry but manufacturers would be looking for a financial return on any investment they would make in any club or track, and clubs and tracks don't make money.
Who knows for sure if they could make a return on their investment if they don't try.

Originally Posted by trailranger
RCTV does thier show off the internet before "podcasting" was even a term. RCCA has a YouTube channel to show off tech tips.

Maybe it is time that the ROAR starts promoting itself with a internet TV show. I would much rather have a production team present the races than having to do endless youtube searches for footage that is of poor quality.
Even though what they do is not actually podcasting which is audio only. Their objective is in perfect sense of what any rc enthusiast is really looking for. They cover the basics as in such is really only what is needed. Adding race coverage would be just an added bonus to already what they do. ROAR doing this would be awesome and maybe drive some added spirit into what ROAR use to be.

Originally Posted by Leodis
Emphasis mine. Wisely is the key word. For every sponsored driver who does a great job promoting the companies that sponsor him and the hobby in general at the local level, there are five sponsored guys who won't even make eye contact with a noob much less help him with his set-up. Just because they whored themselves out to a few companies in order to get a discount, they think they're better than the privateers and noobs. They usually only sit by each other like they're an exclusive click in a high school cafeteria. I love it when I put the smackdown on one of those pricks.
Where you race must really suck, because the local track here has three sponsored guys. Two of them are full factory guys and one I don't know too much about. Paul Lemieux, Billy Easton and Justin Johnson(Beavis). I have seen all three of these guys stop doing something on their own stuff to help a "Local" or new guy out. Paul is tops when it comes to this. I have seen him sit down with someone who bought a new car kit and help them build it. He might not be bringing new people in I dunno but he isn't making anyone feel little in anyway.

Originally Posted by trailranger
I have a YouTube Channel and all it cost me is $500 for the damn camera I bought to record my wedding.
You'll be surprized at how much exposure just having a YouTube channel will do for racing.
Yes, you tube is a huge hit and someone or company using it can make for a good return I am sure.

Originally Posted by microcrazy24
www.rctvlive.com has done everything that has been mentioned on here:

2. was on pbs around the country for years
I guess their viewing area when on pbs did not include wisconsin at all. I never remember seeing that show on tv here at all.

Originally Posted by jiml
Yes you can buy a video camera for $500, but you would get the quality that someone has already complained about. A good pro-sumer camera will set you back over $1K.

There have already been several attempts at recording RC events, the best of which is Ray Woods Videos. Ray does an amazing job of producing videos of events, including ROAR nats and IFMAR World events. How many DVD's of his do you own?

NASCAR is not a hobby, it is a sport. And there are way more people who own quads and dirt bikes, or play tennis or golf than own RC cars. Those sports get national attention because they are so popular, not the other way around.

ROAR may not do video, but they have teamed with Live RC to bring over the internet live scoring and audio (and if you pay for it video) of every national event this year.

It's not that you don't have a good idea, it's just not feasable yet.
1. I have done camera work for a weekly television show and used a great quality camera that was under 1k. It was also a pro edition camera that the local cable company recommended to my boss/coworker. That camera that I used was over $500.00 but was less than 1k.

2. The ampdraw team has done a great job of recording the IIC and Reedy race. Ray Woods also does a great job in his videos, do I own one no. I can't see spending close to $40.00 on one quality video when I can pay less than that to have two of them. I'm sorry I won't pay $40.00 for a dvd I like of my favorite movie.

3. Nascar is no longer a sport it is a job in my opinion, name someone who is doing it just for the sport of it. Take a look at a paycheck and their bonuses, yea they work hard everyday but they get paid to do it. We as in this hobby are like the in the closet gay people. Were afraid to come out and expose ourselves. If we all put ourselves out there to any media possible and say hey check this out. This hobby might become as popular as what golf is. To be honest with you I would rather watch a 30min 1/8 buggy main than to watch "famous" guys play one hole of golf. *Note* please take no offense to my gay reference, it is not meant to bash anyones sexual preference.

4. Live RC is great but also can have problems because it is live. If your connection ever has any problems or they have any problems you can miss alot. Doing anything live over the internet can have problems. Producing a static show that you can stream or download is alot better option.

Originally Posted by JevUK
Top team racers don't bring any new blood to the hobby. All they do is sway existing racers from one brand to another. But many of them do good work for the companies they represent.

Up until recently Tamiya did not race at top level yet their kits were resposible for most of new blood to the hobby. The reason is that their kits were aim at beginners, good price. good quality, easy to built, and most clubs around the world had spec races for them. Oh and they make the effort to make the cars look real which is important to newcommers.
I have yet to see any sponsored guys bring new people into this hobby. With that said I haven't been around them all the time so they might try. Paul Lemieux will not try to sway you away from say tamiya 100%. I have heard him make suggestions and drop some hints of course. He of course will suggest using stuff that he uses but will not ignore you if you don't. The main thing to me is regardless of the brands you run he will help you with anything. Here tamiya has been at the top level for years. Might not have been winning all the time but they are up there. In the US most of all beginners choose to buy a rtr. Mainly because they can have fun right out of the box with no real work into it. Tamiya is up there along with the others in what brand the beginners are buying. Real looking cars a good part, but as well is ease of repair, setup, some look at quality, etc.

I guess for me this would be a hard statement to respond too. The owner of the track I go to is sponsored, the manager I think is sponsored in someway, I have three major sponsored guys, a handful of the weekly regulars that go to the big races because of their sponsors. With that many people sponsored it is hard not to sell certain products. Of course if you ask for help from someone sponsored from say company a and your asking about the product from company b. They will be totally honest with you and not just have you buy product a. You might end up buying a's product because of yourself but not because of them.

Peace Aaron(W-W)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.