Wiki Posts
Search

I want to get into racing.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 01:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default I want to get into racing.

Back in december i bought an associated TC4 roller that i want to race this summer when i return home from college. I have an Airtronics M8 radio with a novak reciever and a novak GT7 speed control. I plan on running in either 19turn or mod classes. I dont have the FT version so what kind of upgrades would you recommend along with what kind of motor i should get. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

..in order to get a better answer, guys would probabaly need to know what type of track, (maybe even where - so you can get help from guys that may race there)

For the motor - you would need to know what's legal for your track.

As for upgrades - if you've never raced, I wouldn't upgrade until you NEED to. Get the car on the track and see what it does.

If it doesn't have threaded shocks - that's probably one of the first upgrades that can help you tune in the chassis...

Check with local guys to see what tires and bodies they run too. Knowing those things can save you money and frustration.

Most tracks have great racers who are willing and able to give advice (Just kind of steer clear from the Buy PRODUCT X if you want to Go Fast type of advice...that's usually guys trying to push their sponsors products - and until you get a good baseline of what you are doing - that type of help - isn't really help at all.)
Old 03-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SWTour
..in order to get a better answer, guys would probabaly need to know what type of track, (maybe even where - so you can get help from guys that may race there)

For the motor - you would need to know what's legal for your track.

As for upgrades - if you've never raced, I wouldn't upgrade until you NEED to. Get the car on the track and see what it does.

If it doesn't have threaded shocks - that's probably one of the first upgrades that can help you tune in the chassis...

Check with local guys to see what tires and bodies they run too. Knowing those things can save you money and frustration.

Most tracks have great racers who are willing and able to give advice (Just kind of steer clear from the Buy PRODUCT X if you want to Go Fast type of advice...that's usually guys trying to push their sponsors products - and until you get a good baseline of what you are doing - that type of help - isn't really help at all.)
+1 I would add that if this is your first time racing you may want to start with stock. Its plenty fast.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CREWMAN
+1 I would add that if this is your first time racing you may want to start with stock. Its plenty fast.
Agreed. I run 8th buggy which is plenty fast and am a half decent driver. I JUST started in 10th TC stock class with the car in my sig. First time I pulled the throttle scared me. My 8th buggy probably goes 45-50mph, but the TC out accelerates (because of the traction and power to weight ratio) my $1200 buggy. The top speed is good for now too, but Im running the TC on a much smaller track than I am used to with my nitros.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Practice, have fun, and consider everything anyone is willing to share with you.

Those are your best hop-ups.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

and 'slow' is fast.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

If you have never raced before I would not recommend stock at all or 19T because it is just too quick and you will end up doing alot of damage and it cost you alot of money = no fun at all. Start racing in 540 class it builds your core skills to drive the car and get used to the track and gain valuable experience of racing with other people. I started in 540 and now driving stock after two seasons in 540 only because I dominated 540 class in my rookie years, stock and mod is a whole new ball game so my adivce is not to race in high level classes but race in beginner classes so you can learn how to handle and race without doing damage to you car and other peoples cars.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I plan on racing at blue diamond in delaware. Its asphualt if im not mistaken. Yeah i understand maybe starting out in the stock class, makes sense. I set up a backyard track and i would race a few of my buddies with my t3 so im not new to racing in general. Just organized racing.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Blue Diamond is a fairly big outdoor track, yes? They race nitro there. Anyway, I'm guessing stock or the 17.5 equivalent is the entry-level class for electric sedans. If so, start there and get in as much racing and practice as you can for a season. It should certainly be sufficiently competitive for the time being. Upgrade as you break. You might be surprised by how well your car performs as is.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Organised racing is alot different to racing with your freinds. You should start in 540 class and build your way up thats where alot of the worlds best drivers started. As I said before 540 builds your core racing skills like staying on the race line so and plus you can do more damage to your car and other people's cars if you race stock and no one really wants to go home with a broken car at the end of a race meet. Until you win a 540 championship then you are ready to race stock.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

...what is the 540 class? Never heard of it anywhere I've been around.

Stock is generally the ENTRY class around these parts.

(I assume it uses motors like the Mabuchi or Johnson sealed cans?.... )
Old 03-09-2008, 04:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

540 class is an entry level class that uses 540 johnson sealed can motors. Stock as an entry level class you have to be joking thats like giving a 5 year old a nitro car there is no point starting in stock class if you have never race at local club race meets.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The Bear
and 'slow' is fast.
Originally Posted by Dane
Practice, have fun, and consider everything anyone is willing to share with you.

Those are your best hop-ups.
The two statements above are absolutely the BEST advice that anyone could have given you. I started racing when I was about 12 years old (I am 28 now), but my dad drilled it into my head that slow is fast. I did it my way for a while, knowing only one speed (wide open) then I finally listened to him and "slowed down" and guess what? The lap times dropped considerably and I started winning races. Slow is FAST until you get a lot more laps under your belt, then when you start really competing with the fast guys at your track, SMOOTH is fast. Also, like the statement above says, PRACTICE. For YEARS when I was a kid, we would be sitting at the track at noon every Saturday waiting for the track to open. Then I would go in and run battery after battery after battery all day long until the races started at 8 that night. I must have put down 18 million laps. But, like anything, practice does make perfect. Good luck in whichever direction you decide to go!
Old 03-09-2008, 09:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The above posts re: 540 class racing are absolutely correct. Provided, of course, that the class is an option to race at your track. We race it at my local track, and it was my first class, and it's the best place to start. That said, if you're racing at Blue Diamond, and it's a big outdoor track--big enough for nitro racing--I suspect there isn't a 540 option. That's my guess. So concentrate on stock. As compared to starting in 19t or mod (egads!), your best shot at picking up the necessary skills without being constantly broken or breaking someone else's car will be in stock. And yes, slow is fast.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:19 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I bought my TC4 in January and started racing it right away. Keep in mind I had never driven an RC car before. The 540 class wasn't an option at my track so I ran stock with a 13.5BL and simply geared it down. I made some changes to the car but the biggest difference was a faster servo and having a professional driver setup my car. I crash a lot less and everytime I got to the track my lap times get quicker. I'm still no where to winning a race but its a lot of fun. Since you have a TC4 like me, I can tell you the parts I break are front control arms, steering knuckles, caster blocks and I bend the inner hinge pins a lot. Also, get a Parma front bumper, the stock bumper isn't wide enough to properly protect the front wheels

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.