Wiki Posts
Search

414M vs 414M2

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 01:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default 414M vs 414M2

I have both of these cars, so my question is not a technical one. I know they are the same but with different color aluminum. My dilema is : which one do I keep and which one is worth more? I am selling one of them to fund another project. Both are in really good shape. Besides, I have enough spare parts to make either of them just like brand new again. Is the 414M harder to find or more desireable? Is the 414M2 easier to sell since it is the "blue" one that Chadisuysakarn(spelling?) won the world championship with? This is more of a question about market price and demand. I personally do not care which one I keep, I like them equally. Thanks a lot for your thoughts on this matter.

............ and will be selling the one I don't want to keep here.

GoFaster
Old 06-30-2003, 08:28 PM
Tech Master

the regualr silver M also has rubber sealed bearing which is better than the M2 which has a metal shield bearing.

the Silver M was more limited in quantaity than the M2, since the only way you could buy it, is through Tamiya USA directly. (or from HK, or from Japan..)

In my opinion the regular M is more valuable, since it also have all the aluminum turnbuckle, and extra suspension block.

Old 06-30-2003, 08:34 PM
Tech Regular

This is what I thought, but when I had it on ebay, the bidding never got past $100. Now that's messed up. Good info guys. Any other opinions?

Thanks,

GoFaster
Old 06-30-2003, 08:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by GoFaster
This is what I thought, but when I had it on ebay, the bidding never got past $100. Now that's messed up. Good info guys. Any other opinions?

Thanks,

GoFaster
It's more of supply and demand thing than what's more valuable. There simply ain't much demand for any 414M,since people can buy M2 which has about the same spec for less.

When you are trying to sell something, it's always a lost. Unless you are selling some very rare cars, like the 414x which was released in the US with the quantity of only 150!! This car (414x) will probably make you money if you can find a good buyer. Once I saw an action on ebay for 414 series cars, the guy got his hand on one 414x, one 414 (released only in japan), and one 414M. The first two cars has serial number on them, which make them so much more valuable. I think the guy ended up selling all three car together for a sum close to 2000.
Old 06-30-2003, 08:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up don't sell either of them

Don't waste your time selling either of them on ebay. Too many cheapos on ebay to sell somthing like that with all the other kits thats out right now. If you can't make a direct sale without paypal and ebay in the mix, keep the cars.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:03 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: don't sell either of them

Originally posted by Fully Hopped
Don't waste your time selling either of them on ebay. Too many cheapos on ebay to sell somthing like that with all the other kits thats out right now. If you can't make a direct sale without paypal and ebay in the mix, keep the cars.
he he I agree, but I have to fund another puchase I made. Wife is pretty ticked now. lol I think I will keep the 414M and sell the 414M2. I only want 165 plus shipping. Any experience with selling these kits? I think this is a good price, but no one else thinks so. doh!!

Thanks,

GoFaster
Old 07-01-2003, 03:49 PM
Tech Regular

No one else knows about these cars???
Old 07-01-2003, 11:36 PM
Tech Master

I think you should just keep both cars for now.

I have seen this guy selling the WCR version of 414M on ebay for about two month now... he never got his reserved price.. the hightest it went up was only about 140.
Old 07-03-2003, 08:34 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the infor TRF Powered. There has to be someone else that knows about these two cars.

I have a used 414M but I am not sure what came with it originally. DOes anyone know? Does anyone know where I can get a new owners manual for the 414m?

Thanks

GoFaster
Old 07-07-2003, 01:06 PM
Tech Regular

Smile

Any one????????
Old 07-07-2003, 06:52 PM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Think it might be fair to say that the 414s are discontinued now... all the usual sources have said they cannot get any more stock from distributors since last xmas, even if they hold backorders.

414s weren't sold everywhere (they're not "catalog" items), only certain countries offered them and parts may become an issue. Most of those on 2nd-hand sale come from either US or Europe... they've been going for about US$100-150.

Also talking to the usual retail sources, they're all saying to customers the EvoIII is faster than the 414... and now you can buy the fancy Surikarn EvoIIIse for not much more than what the 414M/MII was selling for earlier.

Might very soon 414s becomes a Tamiya collectors' item...
Old 07-08-2003, 05:39 AM
Tech Regular

Your answer has absolutely nothing to do with my question. Keep your opinions to yourself. Have you ever had a 414? Why don't you go flame someone else's thread?

Old 07-08-2003, 05:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Your answer has absolutely nothing to do with my question. Keep your opinions to yourself. Have you ever had a 414? Why don't you go flame someone else's thread?

calm down! i don't think he was flaming your thread...maybe he didn't see ur question...so just be cool...
Old 07-08-2003, 06:17 AM
Tech Regular

Old 07-08-2003, 10:14 PM
Tech Master

WC's post has a lot to do with your question. He is pointing out that some of Tamiya cars grows in value with time. And since it is not in the regular Tamiya catalog, it is even more collectiable.

In other words, hold on to your car, sell them later.