Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New protoform body??

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by linger
I really appreciate Dale and Protoform for coming out with unique bodies. Protoform leads and everyone else follows.

I can't help but feel that racing these bodies that don't resemble real cars is taking touring car one more step away from mainstream. I used to think one of the great appealing factors in racing touring cars was scale realism. It's definitely an appeal in both drifitng and rock crawling (not that I do either of those).

Dale - your thoughts?
I agree in theory, but I don't think there is much appeal to wanting to race a Dodge Stratus or Crysler. If its scale realism that gets people in to RC Racing, there's plenty to choose from, unfortunately they don't work on the track. Yeah we could make rules so everyone has to deal with the unworkable bodies, but as soon as headlights, grills and such are changed by the custom painters, they start to really look like something else once again. I like the looks of an Aston Martin, or Jag, but I like to race RC Cars, so give me something that works. To me its about close racing with friends, not concourse based on scale looks and that was true even when I started and I bet I'm not alone.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:54 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by edseb
To me its about close racing with friends, not concourse based on scale looks and that was true even when I started and I bet I'm not alone.
I agree. If you want scale realism then make sure you never take you body off the chassis. That isn't even close to what a real car looks like. Yes, I know, you can't see the chassis when running around the track...you also can't see body details when running around the track. Unless your in the top of the RC racing world it should all be for fun (there as well of course). So run what ever body you like. I'm sure your local club wouldn't have a problem with it
Old 04-18-2008, 04:19 PM
Tech Regular

I would like to see some more scale like shells out there on the market.dont get me wrong i do like the current look of the mazda6 speed6 etc.
but on the other hand i do think that some realism would get more peaple involved in the hobbie.the brca here in the uk attended a real carshow,they had a real nice track layout there, running some touring cars,1/12 with scale look porsche shells and mardave renault clios also.
The crowds were huge and it was the clios and the porsches that stole the show
Am i correct in thinking that the 5 cell chassis was introduce to slow the cars down?
If so why didnt they look at the shells ?? and bring back a more traditional look?
Thats just a few points of view.

Last edited by pug 205 gti; 04-18-2008 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Trans Am is ALL scale bodies. They are all horrible, aerodynamically.

The class is taking off all over. I'd say a good part of that is the realism.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

the gt bodies like will be used on the new world gt or gt10 class are well detailed.. not perfect, but atleast a passerby will recognize them at a glance unlike the used bars of soap that we currently cover our cars with..
Old 04-29-2008, 02:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

What gives with not putting wing screws/nuts in with the body? I bought three of them, so it probably didn't get missed.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Yeah....my LHS had gotten 5 of 'em in and they're all w/o the wing mounting hardware.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:37 PM
Tech Addict

I use the screws from the body I just retired. Not the original blue screws...those suck.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

I can use my own screws if I have to and in this case that is obvious....but that is not the point......They should be included. And other than in a few cases where the internal hexes were oversized...I like the blue screws/plastic nuts.....they don't come loose and hold pretty well.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Didn't the same thing happen when the DNA1 came out?
Old 04-29-2008, 04:03 PM
Tech Addict

I find the screw head strips real easy. I have 2 bodies that the wing is not coming off...ever. I use the plastic nut, cause it does hold real well, but I use better screws. I do like that the screws are blue
Old 04-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey
Didn't the same thing happen when the DNA1 came out?
Yes, I didn't understand that either. It's not like the screws are specific to the body....????
Old 04-29-2008, 04:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The lighter blue wing screws are super soft. There are darker blue screws that work fine. Problem is the bodies are coming with the lighter colored screws. I have retrieved some of the darker screws of older bodies and recycle them on the new bodies.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Zootcapri
The lighter blue wing screws are super soft. There are darker blue screws that work fine. Problem is the bodies are coming with the lighter colored screws. I have retrieved some of the darker screws of older bodies and recycle them on the new bodies.
Or in this case....without ANY screws!
Old 04-30-2008, 04:40 AM
Tech Addict

Hey Dale, I talked to you at the RCX show ( Schumacher driver, blue shirt) about doing a 190mm COT Nascar body. You said you thought it was worth think about. On the plus side to this idea is that all four COT brands (Chevy / Ford / Dodge / Toyota) are supposed to be the same, fitting the same templets. So if you do a COT you would only need 1 mold and supply 4 sets of grill / light decals. So it would seem to be more cost effective. Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.