Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
How many chargers / lipos is everyone running? >

How many chargers / lipos is everyone running?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many chargers / lipos is everyone running?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 06:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Two classes... two chargers... four batteries.

(2) Trakpower 4900's
(2) CORE 5000's
(2) Scorpion chargers from FMA Direct (built in balance with every charge)
Old 02-18-2008, 07:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Do you guys charge the lipo while it's still warm from runs?
Or is it advisable to charge only after it's cooled off.

rotating between 2 packs doesn't give enough time for the pack to cool. I'm worried about charging the pack while it's warm.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sidewayzzzz
Do you guys charge the lipo while it's still warm from runs?
Or is it advisable to charge only after it's cooled off.

rotating between 2 packs doesn't give enough time for the pack to cool. I'm worried about charging the pack while it's warm.
Its OK to charge right away. Some say it increases performance.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

3 x Orion 3600
Checkpoint 1030
MM Silent Charger
TrakPower Lipo Balancer
Old 02-18-2008, 09:03 PM
Tech Regular

I use a Thunder Power 610C Balance Charger/Discharger Lipo,A123,Nimh (brand new on market - have a small review in electronics section). As well as having my original TP 425C for backup.

Let me say, being now able to see the balance between each cell on screen is amazing (something you wont get with a "add-on" types), and has helped me point out my weaker packs. I feel much more confident with my charging.

http://www.thunderpowerrc.com/html/cba-chargers.html

I only have been using Thunder Power packs, though I might switch to Flightpower. (Im a mini racer if wondering)
Old 02-18-2008, 09:20 PM
Tech Master

3 3200 Orions and 1 5000 Core Rc for lipo packs, 1 Checkpoint and 1 GFX 35 w/lipo upgrade. I usually run two classes a 21.5/lipo oval class and 10.5 touring class. I always have one fully charge just in case a pack is not fully charged in time. So far I have been able to run the heat put the same pack on charge after the run and make it for the next race.

Last Saturday, I only ran the 21.5/lipo oval class. I had two boxes that I always have with me and on my table I only had my power supply and checkpoint charge on the table along with the car and a couple of tools. I use a 3x6 table and had plenty of room. No soldering iron, no batter discharger or equalizer just alot of space.

Next weekend during our state series race, I'll be running two touring classes: stock and vintage class both cars will have 13.5 motors and 3200 and 5000 lipos. I plan on just having my power supply and the checkpoint on my table all weekend.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:21 PM
Tech Master

3 3200 Orions and 1 5000 Core Rc for lipo packs, 1 Checkpoint and 1 GFX 35 w/lipo upgrade. I usually run two classes a 21.5/lipo oval class and 10.5 touring class. I always have one fully charge just in case a pack is not fully charged in time. So far I have been able to run the heat put the same pack on charge after the run and make it for the next race.

Last Saturday, I only ran the 21.5/lipo oval class. I had two boxes that I always have with me and on my table I only had my power supply and checkpoint charge on the table along with the car and a couple of tools. I use a 3x6 table and had plenty of room. No soldering iron, no batter discharger or equalizer just alot of space.

Next weekend during our state series race, I'll be running two touring classes: stock and vintage class both cars will have 13.5 motors and 3200 and 5000 lipos. I plan on just having my power supply and the checkpoint on my table all weekend.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mini_Me
I use a Thunder Power 610C Balance Charger/Discharger Lipo,A123,Nimh (brand new on market - have a small review in electronics section). As well as having my original TP 425C for backup.

Let me say, being now able to see the balance between each cell on screen is amazing (something you wont get with a "add-on" types), and has helped me point out my weaker packs. I feel much more confident with my charging.

http://www.thunderpowerrc.com/html/cba-chargers.html

I only have been using Thunder Power packs, though I might switch to Flightpower. (Im a mini racer if wondering)

I'm thinking of getting the Thunder Power 610C, just wanted to ask if anyone is using it with an orion LiPo? And if you are using a balancer, how do you hook it up? I know it comes with it's own balancing board but what connector do I need to make it work with this battery? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:10 PM
Tech Regular

Pico, the bad thing is that the Orion has made a new standard that most other manufacturers up to this point had chosen differently. Though in part because they had more cells in mind.

Anyhow, you would have to create or modify a device like the below. I believe the alternative balancer plug mounts on the TP 610 are for Trackpower (though don't quote me, they might be meant for hyperion).
Attached Thumbnails How many chargers / lipos is everyone running?-durfpvtp2s-vbalh.jpg  
Old 02-24-2008, 06:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mini_Me
Pico, the bad thing is that the Orion has made a new standard that most other manufacturers up to this point had chosen differently. Though in part because they had more cells in mind.

Anyhow, you would have to create or modify a device like the below. I believe the alternative balancer plug mounts on the TP 610 are for Trackpower (though don't quote me, they might be meant for hyperion).

Mini Me, Thanks for the response. The way I look at it, if I buy the 610C then I should or would like to use the balancing port to view what is going on with the cells. Or I could not buy the 610C and get another charger and use the orion balancer which I think just plugs in. Or I can get both the 610C and the orion balancer too. Just thinking out loud.......need to make up my mind soon.

Ronnie
Old 02-24-2008, 10:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

To the original question, here's a good example...

At a big race last month I ran 3 classes with just one lipo pack per car and one ICE charger. I had more chargers and batteries but I found that I didn't need them. In fact half the time the charger wasn't even being used.

But that was for a race with over 100 entries/20 heats so you do have some time between rounds. Club races with maybe 5-10 heats per round may be a different story... but no sane person would be running 3 classes there either.

Anyway I thought it was pretty cool racing 3 cars with such a simple battery setup. Used to be I would have about a dozen packs and three chargers to do the same thing.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:20 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by picco007
Mini Me, Thanks for the response. The way I look at it, if I buy the 610C then I should or would like to use the balancing port to view what is going on with the cells. Or I could not buy the 610C and get another charger and use the orion balancer which I think just plugs in. Or I can get both the 610C and the orion balancer too. Just thinking out loud.......need to make up my mind soon.

Ronnie
I would get the 610, as you get exact real time voltage info from each cell displayed versus just blinking lights. The charger itself reacts to the changes versus an add in device that tries to shift the amperage around.

Getting both would seem to defeat the purpose of getting a balancer charger. The above linked should work fine if again the balancer plug shown is the optional one the 610 comes with. If not, you can buy the plug type itself and rewire it.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Is there an adapter for the Thunder Power 610C for the Orion / Trakpower balancing plugs?
Old 02-24-2008, 01:22 PM
Tech Regular

or8ital, see the picture above, thats goes to a hyperion/flightpower connector. Trackpower sells it.

[email protected]

#DURFPVTP2S-VBAL

Last edited by Mini_Me; 02-24-2008 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

2 cars
1 charger (0606i DC only)
2 Lipo's; an Elite 4800 and an Orion 3200, homemade harness

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.