R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Power Capacitors (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/20629-power-capacitors.html)

Calvin Ng 06-30-2003 05:17 PM

Power Capacitors

i know we had a forum about this but i couldnt find it

i remember it was 2 4700's or 1 10,000

i forgot what the voltage had to do with it the higher the voltage the _______ (i-something)

what does that i-something mean??

or does the voltage not really matter as long as its over 10.....?

WC 06-30-2003 06:47 PM

Voltage is only the operating max voltage, as long as its more than the highest voltage you'll see in your circuit, it'll work. On an RC car, 10V is ample but the usual caps you buy is more often to be 16V or 25V. (Higher voltage caps will be physically bigger, but do the exact same job.)

Most ESCs will benefit from a power cap of approx 680uF upwards, this is usually the recommended minimum capacitance. No harm going higher, but never run your car without any cap (especially if the ESC's manual tells you must use one).

kino2 07-10-2003 06:00 AM

Originally posted by WC

Most ESCs will benefit from a power cap of approx 680uF upwards, this is usually the recommended minimum capacitance. No harm going higher, but never run your car without any cap (especially if the ESC's manual tells you must use one).

Should I use a cap if the manual did not specify to use one? or is it absolutely safe to use a cap anyway? :confused:

Pit Crew 07-10-2003 01:42 PM

You can safely use a CAP with any speed controll.

Think about a car steereo. It is not manditory to use a 1/2 to 1 farad capacitor for your amplifier, but it does help increase performance. Amplifiers are basically big speed controlls, the difference being an amplifier "AMPLIFIES" an incomming signal, whereas a speed control "AMPLIFIES" a pre-set frequency. Most high end speed controls let you adjust this frequency.

but they are both doing the same thing: turning DC into basically AC.

When you are say, comming out of a corner and need acceleration, you punch the throttle. This tells the speed controll to increase the Amplitude of the AC current, thus drawing more current and lowering the voltage of the battery (Same thing with a big bass hit) The capacitor stores the electricity to help produce more current for the split second of need. It does NOT increase voltage, but increases the available amperage to the speed controll. So just think that the more throttle you give, is like turning up the volume.

:cool:

kino2 07-14-2003 02:22 AM

Thx. :)

nnick 07-14-2003 02:27 AM

I have a probably silly question to ask you guys! Do you really feel the difference of having or not having a capacitor?

I must say that I haven't feel any difference when during play my cup was disconnected and since then I stoped using one!
I use the GM Racing cap, the long one, 10000uF if I remember correctly.

Any comments?

Nick

Calvin Ng 07-14-2003 07:24 PM

i felt a huge diffrence in punch!!!!

like HUGE