Wiki Posts
Search

Associated RC12R5

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 01:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AreCee
Ouch, that takes a huge hit to bend the motor mount.
Well I doubt that. My Center Pivot is not moving at all, whit what kind of crash.... My Rear Pod is bending all the time, en when it's a hard frontal hit, my motor mount bends.... But the Center Pivot is still "free".... I think Associated has one of the thinest motormount's compaired to all other brands (looking to Yokomo, CRC, V-Dezign, Xray). But then again it's the most heavy car part that is screwd on to it.

Robert
Old 10-27-2010, 05:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If that's true then I must be a much better driver than I credit myself because I went a whole season on the 12R5 and another season with it converted to R5.1 and never had to repair anything except for routine maintenance (diff, tires, etc.).

I have had some hard hits but nothing is tweaked or bent.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i would check team tamale. he make a motor plate it is much stronger then then OEM. he has made xray and SM parts forever, but a local runs the r5 and was in the same situation of a bent motor plate.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Funky
Thanks to everyone that submitted to this thread!! There are a ton of pages to go through but I have found a lot of usefull information.

I have a few questions about some 12r5.1s that I am setting up.

Eventually I will set up both cars with 1S lipo setups but for now, I am just setting up one brushless and the other one brushed. Is there any problems running a brushed setup in the 12r5.1? Would it be worth picking up the brushed rear pod? Does the other pod have better balnce? Are there any other changes I should consider when running a brushed setup? I am running a 27T brushed motor on a 2S 2100mah lipo and it is working ok...although this my first 1/12 scale so I am not sure how it should really feel.

For the other 12R5.1, I have 2 motors I am considering. I already have a Ballistic 13.5T and an X12 LRP 17.5T. There is no 1/12 scale class at our track so I can run whatever I want, I just don't know which one might work better. I will probably buy an LRP SXX V2 ESC for ease of installation (no extra battery or step up). I can probably only buy one lipo so I am still trying to decide on which one to pick out. I switched to the newer Hyperions in all of my heli stuff and they are holding up very well, but I don't think they have any 1 cell lipos for these cars.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Sorry about the long post and all of the questions. I am completely new to 1/12 scale cars so any advice would be very helpfull.
A good combo for an LRP setup would be the SXXSS with an X12 13.5 or 17.5
The SXX v2 is intended for low wind mod motors .
A brushed or BL motor will balance well, but no one runs 2 cell in 12th scale club racing.

A properly setup 12th scale will run circles around sedans in the infield sections of a track, that's a good indication if it's working ok
Old 10-27-2010, 06:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I am looking for a good 17.5 starting setup. I do use a tekin and the track is rolled up every week so the traction takes a while to come up. Anyone have anything they can suggest on this? Most of what I see on ae's website is for mod

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2010, 06:36 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by AreCee
If that's true then I must be a much better driver than I credit myself because I went a whole season on the 12R5 and another season with it converted to R5.1 and never had to repair anything except for routine maintenance (diff, tires, etc.).

I have had some hard hits but nothing is tweaked or bent.
Maybe it also depends on what kind of track, (f.e. the boarding) your driving. At my local track the boarding is solid wood, screwd down on the floor. When you just slightly drive on a cerb, you will loose steering (duh), which will result in a big bang... against a piece of wood. A car with 10.5T and a Timing ESC, going from almost full speed to zero... can not be good for the aluminium parts ;-)

Regards

Robert
Old 10-27-2010, 06:39 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by theisgroup
i would check team tamale. he make a motor plate it is much stronger then then OEM. he has made xray and SM parts forever, but a local runs the r5 and was in the same situation of a bent motor plate.
That's a good tip! To bad it's the R5 Bulkhead and not the 5.1
Then again I think it was just a bad batch, because I seem to have less problems with bending the Motor Mount of the 5.1.

Regards

Robert
Old 10-27-2010, 01:33 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
A good combo for an LRP setup would be the SXXSS with an X12 13.5 or 17.5
The SXX v2 is intended for low wind mod motors .
A brushed or BL motor will balance well, but no one runs 2 cell in 12th scale club racing.

A properly setup 12th scale will run circles around sedans in the infield sections of a track, that's a good indication if it's working ok
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking about going with the SXXv2 because it was smaller overall without the heatsink. Will the SXXSS work better with my 17.5/13.5? If the performance will be the same, Ill probably go for the SXX V2. Money is tight so my electronics get moved around a lot between cars. It might be in this car for a few months and move into a touring car next summer. I am not really sure, although if one of them works better than the other in this application, I want the better ESC.

I know the 2 cell setup isn't ideal, but it works for now and I already had the electronics sitting around. It is running pretty close to the fast touring cars in our club (probably around 1 second slower in lap times) although tuning has been a struggle For now I am just trying different things to see how they effect the car. I have a few different tires to try so I have been swapping them first to see what works on the track. I am also not the best driver, so that holds me back too I don't want to run it on 4.8 because on 2S everything runs very cool for 20 mins of practice per battery. I also have a 4.8 RC12L4 that runs a lot slower, hotter and not as long. We don't have a class going so I can run whatever I want (there are no restrictions).

Any advice on the 13.5 ballistic vs the LRP X12 17.5. The LRP is new and the ballistic is hardly used with a brand new 13.5 stator (was a 6.5) so both motors should be near equal condition. Would I be better off running the lower turn Ballistic or the higher turn LRP? WIll it make any difference since I will be running an LRP ESC? I am mostly looking for cool running and long lasting performance so I can use it often for practice... and of course I want it to be fast too

Any advice on the best battery out right now that fits easily into the R5.1 since I am just picking up one?
Attached Thumbnails Associated RC12R5-rc12s-2.jpg  

Last edited by Funky; 10-27-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Stormer Hobbies has a great deal on Reedy one cell lipo's right now. They are good reliable batteries. Try starting there.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Funky
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking about going with the SXXv2 because it was smaller overall without the heatsink. Will the SXXSS work better with my 17.5/13.5? If the performance will be the same, Ill probably go for the SXX V2. Money is tight so my electronics get moved around a lot between cars. It might be in this car for a few months and move into a touring car next summer. I am not really sure, although if one of them works better than the other in this application, I want the better ESC.

I know the 2 cell setup isn't ideal, but it works for now and I already had the electronics sitting around. It is running pretty close to the fast touring cars in our club (probably around 1 second slower in lap times) although tuning has been a struggle For now I am just trying different things to see how they effect the car. I have a few different tires to try so I have been swapping them first to see what works on the track. I am also not the best driver, so that holds me back too I don't want to run it on 4.8 because on 2S everything runs very cool for 20 mins of practice per battery. I also have a 4.8 RC12L4 that runs a lot slower, hotter and not as long. We don't have a class going so I can run whatever I want (there are no restrictions).

Any advice on the 13.5 ballistic vs the LRP X12 17.5. The LRP is new and the ballistic is hardly used with a brand new 13.5 stator (was a 6.5) so both motors should be near equal condition. Would I be better off running the lower turn Ballistic or the higher turn LRP? WIll it make any difference since I will be running an LRP ESC? I am mostly looking for cool running and long lasting performance so I can use it often for practice... and of course I want it to be fast too

Any advice on the best battery out right now that fits easily into the R5.1 since I am just picking up one?
Ballistic is a very good/fast motor.
LRP motors are very fast, & reliable you can get them hot, and they hold their tune.
having said that, a 13.5 is always going to be quicker than a 17.5

The SXXv2 will be a big disadvantage in the boost dept, it just isn't meant to work with Stock Spec motors (10.5 to 21.5)

A good baseline tire setup for the R5.1 is Pinkx2 Front, Grey or the softer Yellow rear.
This seems to work fairly well everywhere I have run.

The Reedy 4600 packs are good, so are the CRC, Thunder Power, & I.P. 5200 - 5600 mah
Not so sure about SMC ?

Have fun.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Ballistic is a very good/fast motor.
LRP motors are very fast, & reliable you can get them hot, and they hold their tune.
having said that, a 13.5 is always going to be quicker than a 17.5

The SXXv2 will be a big disadvantage in the boost dept, it just isn't meant to work with Stock Spec motors (10.5 to 21.5)

A good baseline tire setup for the R5.1 is Pinkx2 Front, Grey or the softer Yellow rear.
This seems to work fairly well everywhere I have run.

The Reedy 4600 packs are good, so are the CRC, Thunder Power, & I.P. 5200 - 5600 mah
Not so sure about SMC ?

Have fun.
The SMC's run fine brand new, but everyone I have had for the last year+ has puffed. I know I might make a mistake here or there, but 5 single cells and 4 2 cell packs of varying age and use all puffing? That can't be ALL my fault. I took car of them and they became useless. I have had a set of speedzone packs since 09 Vegas and they are just as strong as the day I bought them as far as I can tell on the track.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Robert_K
Maybe it also depends on what kind of track, (f.e. the boarding) your driving. At my local track the boarding is solid wood, screwd down on the floor. When you just slightly drive on a cerb, you will loose steering (duh), which will result in a big bang... against a piece of wood. A car with 10.5T and a Timing ESC, going from almost full speed to zero... can not be good for the aluminium parts ;-)

Regards

Robert
We are bending them quite often at our track! A hard hit running a 5.5 is all it takes!
Old 10-27-2010, 06:01 PM
Tech Elite

I have bent several my self in 17.5 and 13.5. The problem is the material its made out of seems to resemble recycled gum wrappers. The TeamTamale pieces I have are identical in design, but made out of quality aluminum and I have never bent ANY of his pieces. I would like to see an adjustable support designed that doesn't allow the sensor end of the motor to gain inertia which seems to be the force causing the bending.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

if anyone is interested

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...ry-1-12-a.html
Old 10-28-2010, 05:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Questions??

What other servo's other than the futaba are an exact fit?

Also what type of ESC are you guys using? I'd use a brushed setup but I'm having a hard time finding a decent motor. If I go brushless it seems like the choices for a 3.7v controller are limited.

Last edited by terrible; 10-28-2010 at 05:23 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.