Wiki Posts
Search

Associated RC12R5

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by silverfrancis
I have also got another question. I was wondering what tyres i should get if i am running on an outdoor ash felt track. Also i was wondering what pinions and gearing i should use with a venom 17.5 turn motor. Also it would be a big help to mention the variety of pinions and spurs i should buy as i don't go to the local hobby shop very often at all.

Does the kit come with imperial allan keys as all my hex drivers and allen keys are in metric measurements? Also can the screws for the rear wheels be replaced with ones that use metric hex driver.
Which track are you running in Sydney. I dont think there are many stores stocking 12th scale tyres. Windsor is your best bet they have speedminds in stock.

32 Front and 32 Rear should be fine (i use 30 Rears but they dont make them anymore). Also we use banana boat sunscreen as a traction compound (most use the black bottle), on top of that others may then put other traction additives but i dont like using those harsh liquids.

Jacos tyres are common as well pink rear purple front are a good starting point. Double pinks give more front grip but wear faster. Some people also like magentas up front.

Gearing will be massive for 17.5, i already use a 69T spur for 10.5 and thats with a tekin which advances the timing (hence i use a lower rollout than normal). You'll probably have to find the smallest kimborough spur gear available (12th scale compatible spur gear, dont get those RW supalite spurs that are good for the tourer) that will go in the car.
Im pretty sure you will need a smaller spur gear than 69T though as with the 69T you struggle to get a 30T pinion on the car and im pretty sure you will need a bigger rollout than that for 17.5.
A 10.5 may actually be easier to drive anyway.

I personally wouldnt put metric screws in for the tyres i suspect the thread is different, but really dont know.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bullfrog_racer
Hi guys, can anyone tell me if a 3/8 nut driver would work on the diff nut? I am using a metric 9mm currently but I dont work in inches! here is the link of the nut driver I would like to get http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-dri...5-p-25142.html if not what do you use as I havnt seen a 9mm one as yet? Cheers in advance
I believe that it takes an 11/32" nut driver.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:07 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
You can do a few things to loosen the balls up. They shouldn't be snug.

1. With the king pin in the ball in the arm squeeze them with a pair of pliers.
2. Pop the ball in and out of the arm with a ball installer over and over.
3. I sometimes rotate the king pin in the arm with some tension to help as well. Not spinning it, but tweaking it at an angle and then moving it in a circle.

Regardless if its the receiver, the servo, or esc that needs it, you will need a booster or a receiver pack for the car to work properly for 8 minutes. I prefer boosters.
Thanks Andrew,

I thought that because the servo worked during the test run (from the living room to the bedroom), I would be fine..... but obviously i 'm not.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AreCee
I believe that it takes an 11/32" nut driver.
You are correct!
Old 03-19-2010, 05:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by aantonis
My car is almost done and I have 2 questions.

Is it normal for the pivot balls installed in the front arms to be snug? Do I have to do something to free up their movement?

Is anyone running SXX ss in his 12th? Does the servo need a voltage booster?

Thanks people.
There is no need for a booster or RX pack with the SXX Stock Spec.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maybell
There is no need for a booster or RX pack with the SXX Stock Spec.
anntonis / Maybell,

A very strong word of caution while running the new SXX Stock Spec in 1C Lipo!!! If you dont have version Mk3 then I would not spend the time installing it in the car.

I would recommend to send the speedo directly to Associated to have them upgrade it to MK3. I just went through installing the ESC in my car to replacing it with a tekin ....... just this past weekend.

Please dont get me wrong, the LRP Speedo seems to be very good in 2C TC, although as mentioned above ........ 1C is still needing work in 17.5 and 13.5.

Alex
Old 03-30-2010, 02:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Default roll out

what would be a good roll out value for simple bashing on an asphalt surface?
ill be running a novac havoc 1s with a 13.5 motor. thanks in advance.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thunderdaddy
what would be a good roll out value for simple bashing on an asphalt surface?
ill be running a novac havoc 1s with a 13.5 motor. thanks in advance.
I would think something in the neighborhood of 80 mm would be good. Leave the motor timing low in the motor.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:00 PM
Tech Regular

is anyone running a life reciever pack? where are you putting it on the chassis? do you have a picture of your setup?
Old 04-01-2010, 12:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i am running a life rx pack. havent got any pics of it though. I have it nrxt to the shock/aerial mount on the rhs. Then next to this on the outside of the chassis a micro spektrum rx
Old 04-01-2010, 03:45 AM
Tech Elite

I have my Li-Fe receiver pack mounted between the servo and antenna/shock mount on its side.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:11 AM
Tech Regular

i played with the arrangement a little and found a setup. i am using a hobbico lifesource 200mah and a spektrum sr3500. i put the long side of the rx against the back of the steering servo and the room that was left was enuf by less than half a mm for the battery and nothing hangs over the chassis . thx for the suggestions.

anyone know of a removable way of mounting them other than dbl sided tape or velcro?
Old 04-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by benben10
i played with the arrangement a little and found a setup. i am using a hobbico lifesource 200mah and a spektrum sr3500. i put the long side of the rx against the back of the steering servo and the room that was left was enuf by less than half a mm for the battery and nothing hangs over the chassis . thx for the suggestions.

anyone know of a removable way of mounting them other than dbl sided tape or velcro?
you could do shoe goo.

As for velcro, I use the stuff available at radio shack that is black plastic. Its sold in strips and is heavy duty velcro. Target has something similar that is clear, but the ones in black I have found hold on better.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Life Reciever Pack

Originally Posted by benben10
is anyone running a life reciever pack? where are you putting it on the chassis? do you have a picture of your setup?
I mount it here, the balance is perfect.
Attached Thumbnails Associated RC12R5-12r5-life-reciever-pack.jpg  
Old 04-09-2010, 07:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Default novak havoc 1s...

is anyone running theres with out the heatsink? does there seme to be a problem doing this? everything ive read is that brushless systems run cool. thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.