Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Associated RC12R5

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 07:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Taken from my experience w/ the Speedmerchant. To see how close you are to shimming, you can take a wrench and hold it square on the inside of the rear tire and compare the distances to the tweak spring screws. This isn't really measurable but you'll be able to see right off the bat if you are completely off or not.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Hey Sean,

I am building my 12R5 currently for this up coming racing season and I feel my rear pod links are a bit stiff or do not move freely. I have tried giving them a squeeze with no luck. If I could get some more wiggle room I think the car might work a bit better. Any thoughts on how I could do this? Thanks for your help.

Monti
AKA Mangler
Old 09-23-2008, 05:22 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

How does the 12R5 handle in compare to the older 12L4?
Old 09-23-2008, 06:30 AM
Tech Rookie

I ran mine for the first time the other night. Never driven 1/12th before... but had a ball. Motor was down on power compared to the other guys (used a many-years ol reedy stock off-road motor that I had laying about). But the car handled great! Even had one of the guys try the ol' sunscreen traction tip, but I felt it handled better without, gave a more progressive feel to the tyres? I normally only race 1/10 TC (carpet with mini-pins). Either way... I loved it! I am sure that it can only get better with a little more fine tweaking..
Old 09-23-2008, 10:08 AM
AE-Reedy

Originally Posted by Monti
Hey Sean,

I am building my 12R5 currently for this up coming racing season and I feel my rear pod links are a bit stiff or do not move freely. I have tried giving them a squeeze with no luck. If I could get some more wiggle room I think the car might work a bit better. Any thoughts on how I could do this? Thanks for your help.

Monti
AKA Mangler
Hi Monti

I test fit each end of the link to see which balls fit best, then if it still seems snug I just pop the link on and off the ball a few times. This seems to loosen the link up enough. I also am very careful when I put the screws in the link to make sure I don't make it too tight. Also are you making sure the rear pod is aligned properly?

Sean
Old 09-23-2008, 02:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Sean Cochran
Hi Monti

I test fit each end of the link to see which balls fit best, then if it still seems snug I just pop the link on and off the ball a few times. This seems to loosen the link up enough. I also am very careful when I put the screws in the link to make sure I don't make it too tight. Also are you making sure the rear pod is aligned properly?

Sean
Sean,

I will try poping the ball in & out serveral times to see if that helps. I took and measured all the balls to see if anyone was bigger but they were all with in .001 so that was not it. I just can not get them free (fall on their own weight). The pod seems to be aligend just fine and the center pivot is free. When I get home I will try some more, thanks for the help.

Monti
Old 09-23-2008, 02:37 PM
Tech Regular

Default newbie ?'s

I'm new to 4 cell nimh packs. what amperage do i charge at? i'm used to charging 6 cell packs at 5 amps.

Also i installed the rc screws thrust bearing on 12r5, i was wondering if anyone else had an issue with the outer thrust bearing washer being a tight fit over the threads of the axle? th einner one fit no problem but the outer was a very tight fit.
any feed back would be appreciated
Old 09-23-2008, 02:47 PM
AE-Reedy

Sean,

I will try poping the ball in & out serveral times to see if that helps. I took and measured all the balls to see if anyone was bigger but they were all with in .001 so that was not it. I just can not get them free (fall on their own weight). The pod seems to be aligend just fine and the center pivot is free. When I get home I will try some more, thanks for the help.

Monti
I wouldn't be too worried if the links don't fall on their own, they don't have much mass. As long as the pod plate doesn't bind or stick I think it is ok.

Sean
Old 09-23-2008, 03:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

hey sean is it true that you cant run the parma speed 8 body on the 12r5 due to clearance issues? just wondering cause it is the body i prefer. thanx
Old 09-23-2008, 03:29 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Hey Monti,

Dont worry about the links....the first time you run the car and beat the walls down they will free up a little

EA
Old 09-23-2008, 03:44 PM
AE-Reedy

Originally Posted by xtrememadness
hey sean is it true that you cant run the parma speed 8 body on the 12r5 due to clearance issues? just wondering cause it is the body i prefer. thanx
Some of our guys have used that body, I think there might be a little issue with the shock mounting ear rubbing the body. You can either make a small hole in the body or heat the body and bubble it to get the clearance you need.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

thanx sean. maybe i will just run the protoforms with this car. i always wanted to try the speed 12b in stock/ 17.5
Old 09-23-2008, 06:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sean Cochran
Some of our guys have used that body, I think there might be a little issue with the shock mounting ear rubbing the body. You can either make a small hole in the body or heat the body and bubble it to get the clearance you need.
Not sure about now, but back in the day it was illegal to put a hole in the body for those types of things, might want to check roar rules, big race it might be a problem... just a heads up...
Old 09-23-2008, 07:02 PM
Tech Master

Sean,

Do you guys have a standard center shock length to go by?
I did get the link to work correct thanks for the advise.

EA,

I take that you are speaking from experience?

Monti
Old 09-23-2008, 07:08 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

EA,

I take that you are speaking from experience?

Monti
I learned from the best. Monti "Wall to wall" Panzica!! LOL

EA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.