R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-19-2009, 04:59 PM   #1171
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
I would like to know what would be the best rear axle / hub / diff setup or aftermarket part for the 12R5 ?

Any suggestions ?

The one in the kit is as good as any you can buy, no need to change it. The best aftermarket part to make your diff glass smooth and stay that way is the slapmaster thrust bearing.http://ashfordhobby.com/detail.aspx?ID=4681

CMDezigns Paint Works
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CM-Dezigns/259989190822177?ref=hl
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:09 PM   #1172
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I wonder how much you need to tighten that locknut with the Slapmaster thrust bearing ? I know without it I was surprised how tight I needed to go so that the diff does not slip.
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:27 PM   #1173
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Quote:
I wonder how much you need to tighten that locknut with the Slapmaster thrust bearing ? I know without it I was surprised how tight I needed to go so that the diff does not slip.
I would think just as much as normal. You are only replacing the thrust bearing setup, which does not have any effect/change on the pressure applied to the differential rings to prevent the balls from a slippage condition.

The SlapMaster Thrust bearing setup smoothes out the differential by using a "real" thrust bearing setup in place of a standard axle bearing, which does not like to be side loaded.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:51 PM   #1174
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
I would think just as much as normal. You are only replacing the thrust bearing setup, which does not have any effect/change on the pressure applied to the differential rings to prevent the balls from a slippage condition.

The SlapMaster Thrust bearing setup smoothes out the differential by using a "real" thrust bearing setup in place of a standard axle bearing, which does not like to be side loaded.
No that is not correct, you are not replacing the axle bearing rather replacing the cone and belview washer assembly. Included in the slapmaster kit is a special delrin(sp?) piece that takes the place of the metal cone. If you use the kit without using the washers it has a very small "window" of adjustment between too loose and too tight. Not hard to use this way but some racers use the washers to help open up the adjustment window but in either case you do not have to apply as much pressure which is why the outer diff bearing lasts so much longer.

CMDezigns Paint Works
Old 03-19-2009, 06:05 PM   #1175
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

chris,

kn7671 was correct... the Slapmaster thrust assembly does indeed replace the cone and belleville washer as you point out, but the reason for it is because the cone and belleville arrangement channels the thrust of squeezing the diff rings against the diff balls through that outer diff bearing in the hub... that outer diff bearing in the hub IS a standard axle bearing. While it CAN take some thrust load, it isn't really meant to. By using the slapmaster thrust bearing you can apply as much thrust load to the rings as necessary, and NONE of that thrust load gets channeled through that outer hub bearing. That is what makes the outer hub bearing last forever once you put the slapmaster thrust kit in there.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:19 PM   #1176
Tech Master

So if I already have a thrust bearing that is 4x9x4 mm, the only thing missing would be a spacer the same size as the delrin spacer that comes with the slapmaster ?

Is the thrust bearing assemble directly on the thread part of the axle ?
Old 03-19-2009, 06:31 PM   #1177
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trips View Post
chris,

kn7671 was correct... the Slapmaster thrust assembly does indeed replace the cone and belleville washer as you point out, but the reason for it is because the cone and belleville arrangement channels the thrust of squeezing the diff rings against the diff balls through that outer diff bearing in the hub... that outer diff bearing in the hub IS a standard axle bearing. While it CAN take some thrust load, it isn't really meant to. By using the slapmaster thrust bearing you can apply as much thrust load to the rings as necessary, and NONE of that thrust load gets channeled through that outer hub bearing. That is what makes the outer hub bearing last forever once you put the slapmaster thrust kit in there.
Yes that is true Trips. If you look closely at the delrin piece it has a lip that contacts the outer bearing in the same place; the inside bearing race; as the cone it replaces. So there is a slight side load, just considerably less than with the cone. I do agreee that its the action of the thrust bearing, and the "give" of the delrin which take the load reducing the pressure and thus extends the outer bearing life. I only ment that kn7671 was incorrect in saying that the outer bearing was replaced as it is not, and I do beleive that less pressure is needed to get the diff not to slip. At least it seems that way to me

CMDezigns Paint Works
Old 03-19-2009, 06:38 PM   #1178
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris moore View Post
Yes that is true Trips. If you look closely at the delrin piece it has a lip that contacts the outer bearing in the same place; the inside bearing race; as the cone it replaces. So there is a slight side load, just considerably less than with the cone. I do agreee that its the action of the thrust bearing, and the "give" of the delrin which take the load reducing the pressure and thus extends the outer bearing life. I only ment that kn7671 was incorrect in saying that the outer bearing was replaced as it is not, and I do beleive that less pressure is needed to get the diff not to slip. At least it seems that way to me
Chris,
Look at that spacer again... if you look more closely, you'll see that the slapmaster kit spacer's lip does NOT contact the inner bearing race of that hub bearing, it actually contacts the OUTER race of the hub bearing, this is how it takes ALL the thrust load off the hub bearing. I'm not kidding, this is really how it works.

You don't have to take my word for it, drop an email or PM to Brian Bodine and he'll tell you the same.

Last edited by Trips; 03-19-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Trips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:42 PM   #1179
Tech Elite

Quote:
So if I already have a thrust bearing that is 4x9x4 mm, the only thing missing would be a spacer the same size as the delrin spacer that comes with the slapmaster ?

Is the thrust bearing assemble directly on the thread part of the axle ?
canuck,

If you already have the thrust bearing, you don't actually need the slapmaster spacer, you can take the aluminum cone and install it backward so it rests on the OUTER race of the outer hub bearing. the order of assembly wouldl be:

thrust cone (backward, so the big side rests on the outer race of the hub bearing}
thrust race
thrust balls
thrust race
belleville spring washer
diff nut
Old 03-19-2009, 08:01 PM   #1180
Tech Elite

Quote:
Chris,
Look at that spacer again... if you look more closely, you'll see that the slapmaster kit spacer's lip does NOT contact the inner bearing race of that hub bearing, it actually contacts the OUTER race of the hub bearing, this is how it takes ALL the thrust load off the hub bearing. I'm not kidding, this is really how it works.

You don't have to take my word for it, drop an email or PM to Brian Bodine and he'll tell you the same.
opps your correct, just goes to show how long its been since I've taken it out of the car.

CMDezigns Paint Works
Old 03-20-2009, 02:07 AM   #1181
Tech Master

OK thanks guys ! I will give it a try .
Old 03-20-2009, 06:17 AM   #1182
Tech Elite

Canuck,

Just a note on what I said... when I mention the aluminum cone spacer, I'm talking about the one from Associated that is shaped like an actual cone... the cylindrical spacers from CRC's diffs or the stepped cylinder from IRS diffs may not work with the thrust bearing... both of those can rub the inner race or seal of the hub bearing and can cause some drag in the diff.

Associated's thrust cone and belleville washer is part #4555 if you don't already have one.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:49 AM   #1183
Tech Master

Quote:
Canuck,

Just a note on what I said... when I mention the aluminum cone spacer, I'm talking about the one from Associated that is shaped like an actual cone... the cylindrical spacers from CRC's diffs or the stepped cylinder from IRS diffs may not work with the thrust bearing... both of those can rub the inner race or seal of the hub bearing and can cause some drag in the diff.

Associated's thrust cone and belleville washer is part #4555 if you don't already have one.
Will the ASC4609 also do the trick ?
Old 03-20-2009, 07:20 AM   #1184
Tech Elite

Quote:
Will the ASC4609 also do the trick ?
Canuck,

Looking at the picture of the 4609 cone on Associated's website, I can't see what the side that will bear against the hub bearing looks like... I'm attaching a picture of a pair of 4555 parts here for you to compare... notice the big side of the cone has a lip around the outer edge... this lip will rest on the outer race of the hub bearing. If your 4609 is shaped like this it will work fine.

If the 4609 has a straight hole through the middle with a plain flat face in the big side of the cone, it may rub the inner race or seal of the hub bearing and cause some drag...

If you can post a pic of the 4609 part, with the big side of the cone facing up, I could tell for sure... but if it looks like the big side of the cone in this picture, it should work just fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Associated RC12R5-dsc00300.jpg  
Old 03-20-2009, 08:02 AM   #1185
Tech Master

Right now I have an aftermarket part from God kwons where. I have the brushless centering pod setup on my car.

Not sure if the stock part will work because of the lenght of the carbon portion of my axle that is remaining after the flanged bearing.

I ordered the ASC4609 part and not received it yes, so maybe someone else has one and could check.