R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-18-2008, 07:53 PM   #706
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

One word of advice to anyone running this car, if you get other side springs for the car, get extra holders for them, and some extra 3x8mm set screws to hold them, makes it much easier to change out side springs, just take top deck off, run springs and screw out the bottom of the deck, put your 1.5mm wrench THRU the hole in the deck from the top where the springs go, then thread the different springs thru the deck, very easy this way, no trying to get the springs off the little plastic holders, the holders are about 2 dollars for a pack of 4, so cheap also...
Old 11-18-2008, 10:39 PM   #707
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

I love both the 10 and 12R5 cars ... but associated released the part #'s for the brushless centering parts for the 12... its been like ove a month now and im still waiting... wheres my hub and graphite guys ?
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:42 AM   #708
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

I just ordered my new 12R5 yesterday and am also hoping the brushless pod parts become available soon. And when they do come back into stock, I'm assuming that they'll sell out just as quickly as the kit has been selling out.

Question: Can I use CRC side springs, front springs and center shock springs on the 12R5? Also, will the CRC rear ride height adjusters be compatible? I only ask because I have a Carpet Knife V3.2 that I have a mountain of spares for.. Thanks in advance.

Tim

Race Videos: http://www.youtube.com/TrackMasterTim
TimNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:56 AM   #709
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

I think yes on all of those Tim.. The CRC side springs have a much nicer metal spring retainer and I think im going to upgrade to them.. The plastic ones are not very nice at all.. but are very light and do function. Just not as pretty.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:07 AM   #710
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John St.Amant View Post
I think yes on all of those Tim.. The CRC side springs have a much nicer metal spring retainer and I think im going to upgrade to them.. The plastic ones are not very nice at all.. but are very light and do function. Just not as pretty.
Thanks, John. Yeah, I know what you mean about the CRC retainers. They have a nice, solid feel and it would seem to me that they might do a better job of retaining and keeping a spring straight than a plastic piece, but then again, AE definitely knows what they're doing when it comes to designing these cars, so I'll give the plastic retainers a shot.

I only just bought the CRC 1/12 car a couple weeks ago and had to buy a few parts for it, as well as electronics, to get it running. So far I've only raced it once and practiced with it one other time. It was my first time ever driving a 1/12 car and it was incredibly fun.

As a total n00b to 1/12, and after reading all the info I could gather on 1/12 in general, I had the expectation that the car would be darty, inconsistent and hard to drive, but quite the opposite. It was fast as heck and handled like a slot car. Perfectly balanced with no understeer or oversteer.

Since I'm an AE guy at heart (as you can see in my sig.), and since the car I bought is kinda long in the tooth, I figure the 12R5 will be a huge upgrade. I can't wait to get it. Thanks for the helpful and informative thread, guys!

Tim

PS Can anyone tell me the difference in handling characteristics between the Parma Speed 8 body (non HD version) and the Protoform 12B?

Race Videos: http://www.youtube.com/TrackMasterTim

Last edited by TimNJ; 11-19-2008 at 07:19 AM.
TimNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:33 AM   #711
Tech Master

Heres a link from one of the locals . He is just about as fast with his 1/12 car as anyone !
http://richardchang.com/hobby.php?topic=112setup
Old 11-19-2008, 12:29 PM   #712
Tech Addict

Default rc12set-up

i,m going to pick-up a r12 and i need to know some info.
the track i.m going to be running on in cali. (bending corners ) what foams r a good starting point, what dia. and is there a tire split that i need to maintain,what body works on aspalt . motor is going to a brushed 19 or 27turns .i'm been racing 1/8scale nitro and would to my hand at this scale so if there some tricks to pay attend to please let me know. thks 4 your support
isuzuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:37 PM   #713
Tech Addict

isuzuguy..

Body protoform speed 12 works very well...

I run Jaco pink rears and jaco purple fronts is a good starting point..

Tire size is 1.65 in in the front and 1.78 in the rear..

Hope this helps

Mike
Old 11-19-2008, 12:46 PM   #714
Tech Addict

what about ride height.thanks mike
isuzuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:50 PM   #715
Tech Addict

i run 3.5mm in the front and 3.8 to 4.0 at the rear...

Mike
Old 11-19-2008, 12:51 PM   #716
AE-Reedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John St.Amant View Post
I love both the 10 and 12R5 cars ... but associated released the part #'s for the brushless centering parts for the 12... its been like ove a month now and im still waiting... wheres my hub and graphite guys ?
All I can say is we have the parts in stock. We can't force Dist. or hobby shops to order them. If you guys need them you have to get the hobby shops to talk to the dist. and get them ordered. I hear our online store is up now you might try there also.
Sean Cochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:54 PM   #717
AE-Reedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffejdat View Post
If you are running any of the wheels that are currently being sold it is un-necessary.

Sean- I am running CRC rims on my 12R5 and I cnnot get the axle centered, and under legal width. running one thin shim on the right, and none on the left, it is about 171.9 mm or so wide with CRC wheels, offset too much to the left that way, I solved the problem by narrowing up the left side hub's inside shoulder a little, now it can be cntered, and under legal width, and shimmed out to legal if wanted... just my observation with my car....

I didn't get a reason for why they made the different cross brace support they were running. Maybe they bent the stand offs during testing and wanted something beefier.
The two standoffs to me are one of the weak parts in the kit, seems like soft aluminum, and very easy to strip. I myself ended up using longer screws on the standoffs, and a screw all the way thru the shock ball to make it much more secure and reliable... All in all, some very minor things to an AWSOME car, I love mine so far, had a bad servo saver that gave me some funny handling and tracking, but solved now and ready to go![/QUOTE]

Are Frank's wheel the 0 offset type? I haven't seen those wheels recently. Your solution of narrowing the hub is proper, sorry you had to do that though.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:55 PM   #718
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

First search and I see Stormer has almost everything in stock.

http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...umb=on&smode=0
Old 11-19-2008, 12:58 PM   #719
AE-Reedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by isuzuguy View Post
i,m going to pick-up a r12 and i need to know some info.
the track i.m going to be running on in cali. (bending corners ) what foams r a good starting point, what dia. and is there a tire split that i need to maintain,what body works on aspalt . motor is going to a brushed 19 or 27turns .i'm been racing 1/8scale nitro and would to my hand at this scale so if there some tricks to pay attend to please let me know. thks 4 your support
On that track you will need to run larger tires and more ride height than Mike suggested the tire compounds would be a good place to start. I would start with at least 1.7" fronts and 1.8" rears with 4.5mm of ride height.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:00 PM   #720
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Cochran View Post
The two standoffs to me are one of the weak parts in the kit, seems like soft aluminum, and very easy to strip. I myself ended up using longer screws on the standoffs, and a screw all the way thru the shock ball to make it much more secure and reliable...
Funny you mention this, one of them in my kit wasn't even threaded. When I tapped it, I was able to thread it easily...maybe too easily. Longer screws, installing now.