R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-12-2008, 02:31 PM   #691
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Joost,

The rims in the picture you posted are Yokomo fronts for sure. The rear's are not the Yokomo's however. The Yokomo rims existed as far back as 1996. I raced at the 1/12th scale Worlds at Revelation Raceway in California. Master Masami was using both types of the real rims back then. I will attempt to find a picture of those rear rims.

I already asked your question that you are asking now on the worlds thread and RedRC answered by saying that the rear rim is an old Jaco rim from roughly the same era. Now at this point we must leave the smallest amount of wiggle room saying that I am not at this years race and new products could have been made recently, but this does not seem likely. I will find some pictures and post them soon.

Lastly, from what I understand the rubber that Naoto and Juho ran was not Kawahara rubber like sohlman posted. The Hot Bodies team was running that type of foam, where as Yokomo was running something else.

Steve
Fasttrax Racing Series / NORA On Road Series
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:01 PM   #692
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by corallyman View Post
Lastly, from what I understand the rubber that Naoto and Juho ran was not Kawahara rubber like sohlman posted. The Hot Bodies team was running that type of foam, where as Yokomo was running something else.
My sources could be wrong, but I heard from Kawahara importers in the US. And if that rubber is anything like the Kawahara nitro foam, that may be the reason for the 1 lap gap back to 3rd place.

Last edited by sohlman; 11-12-2008 at 07:28 PM.
sohlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:58 PM   #693
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Juho was running a reg Speed 12 with a spoiler.

I agree with Mike though, I normally start with Dbl. Pink or Lilac fronts, and Magenta rears. Very consistent
Johnny Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:04 PM   #694
Tech Master

The Yokomo rims are easy to find. We had access to plenty of them in '04 in Kissimmee. The problem is the foam that they use on the wheel is something you simply cannot get. You ask for the tire and they say it is a Yokomo L compound or Orange compound. It isn't and we went through this 4 years ago.

I went the Worlds in Japan in 2000 and the hot tire seemed to be JACO Aqua, which lasted one run. I still wasn't convinced that was the same tire as everyone else.

Jeff
Jeff Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:12 PM   #695
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Looks like Yokomo also has an aluminum stand-off for the cross brace.

Found these pics here:
http://cfdouze.blogspot.com/2008_11_01_archive.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohlman View Post
Look closely, the bottom of the left bulkhead actually hangs out past the lower pod plate in the back.
Attached Thumbnails
Associated RC12R5-photo-093.jpg   Associated RC12R5-photo-095.jpg   Associated RC12R5-photo-140.jpg  
jgee888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:40 PM   #696
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Good eye guys.. Think mabe enough to put the yokomo name on some boxes now?lol
Old 11-13-2008, 06:27 AM   #697
Tech Addict

I think it will be more likely that Yokomo will bring their own version of the R5 just like they did with the L4. They have made some nice option parts for the RC12L4 and I guess that these parts that we have seen @ the worlds now on the R5 will be the same... So maybe this year or spring 2009 there will be a Yokomo RC12R5Y... Time will tell...

Joost.

*** JK Model Racing ***
*** MIX-RC.DE TEAM ***
Joost K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:28 AM   #698
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
Do they work on carpet as well as the asphalt?
They seemed pretty decent at the Halloween Classic. I haven't run one as I'm a Parma only guy, so I can't say for sure though.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 03:57 AM   #699
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

UPDATE!

Associated RC12R5 1/12th Electric On-Road screw kits are now in stock!

Associated RC12R5 1/12th Electric On-Road 122-piece high grade alloy steel socket head screw kit. Kit includes all applicable cap, flat and button head screws, as well as nuts, washers and set screws. The kit also includes the necessary hardware for the optional T-Plate conversion kit. Please note: The kit does not include the 2.5mm locknuts (AE Part # 4676). This is a specialty item and will not be included in the kit. Please order these from your nearest Associated parts supplier.

Thanks and best regards,

Tonys Screws LLC
http://www.tonysscrews.com
High Grade Alloy Steel Screws, Screw Kits and Mugen Parts
TonysScrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:35 PM   #700
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

My car is up in the For sale forum. Thanks
Johnny Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:43 PM   #701
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default RC12R5 springs and effect

Does anyone have a link that describes what effect changing side and centre springs and front springs has on the handling of the RC12R5? I recently built a RC12R5 to get back into RC racing so and info I can find to help me get the care dialed in would be appreciated.
Cubic$Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:47 PM   #702
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubic$Racing View Post
Does anyone have a link that describes what effect changing side and centre springs and front springs has on the handling of the RC12R5? I recently built a RC12R5 to get back into RC racing so and info I can find to help me get the care dialed in would be appreciated.
http://richardchang.com/hobby.php?topic=112setup
mkdut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:59 PM   #703
AE-Reedy

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohlman View Post
Maybe another rear pod. Notice the different bulkhead.

http://events.redrc.net/wp-content/g...associated.jpg
The new pod plate that Yokomo was using was due to the "old" wheels they were running. The black rims everyone is commenting on are the old 0 offset type. They were having problems getting the rear axle narrow enough to comply with the width rules, so they made a different left bulkhead to allow the left hub to move in 3mm. If you are running any of the wheels that are currently being sold it is un-necessary.

I didn't get a reason for why they made the different cross brace support they were running. Maybe they bent the stand offs during testing and wanted something beefier.
Sean Cochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:32 PM   #704
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Cochran View Post
The new pod plate that Yokomo was using was due to the "old" wheels they were running. The black rims everyone is commenting on are the old 0 offset type. They were having problems getting the rear axle narrow enough to comply with the width rules, so they made a different left bulkhead to allow the left hub to move in 3mm. If you are running any of the wheels that are currently being sold it is un-necessary.

I didn't get a reason for why they made the different cross brace support they were running. Maybe they bent the stand offs during testing and wanted something beefier.
Thanks, that's cool news. I wasn't really looking forward to more new parts...considering I'm running the 10R5 rear end for better spacing.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:48 PM   #705
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If you are running any of the wheels that are currently being sold it is un-necessary.

Sean- I am running CRC rims on my 12R5 and I cnnot get the axle centered, and under legal width. running one thin shim on the right, and none on the left, it is about 171.9 mm or so wide with CRC wheels, offset too much to the left that way, I solved the problem by narrowing up the left side hub's inside shoulder a little, now it can be cntered, and under legal width, and shimmed out to legal if wanted... just my observation with my car....

I didn't get a reason for why they made the different cross brace support they were running. Maybe they bent the stand offs during testing and wanted something beefier.[/QUOTE]

The two standoffs to me are one of the weak parts in the kit, seems like soft aluminum, and very easy to strip. I myself ended up using longer screws on the standoffs, and a screw all the way thru the shock ball to make it much more secure and reliable... All in all, some very minor things to an AWSOME car, I love mine so far, had a bad servo saver that gave me some funny handling and tracking, but solved now and ready to go!