R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-12-2008, 05:43 PM   #511
AE-Reedy

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark barford View Post
How are you guys setting the tweak on your R5'S? Tweak station, coin trick, withor without the side damper atached?
Also how much pre tension are you running on your side springs? Here in the U.K using JtG type additive the black side springs (i.e soft) are being used by everybody.
Car is great, I am loving the corner speed!
I do either coins or tweek bar. For coins to work properly the tires and front suspension droop must be perfect to get the best results.

Using the lite side springs it probably is better to disconnect the side shock.

The amount of tension is a driver preference, if you don't run any preload then setting the tweek isn't that big a deal.
Sean Cochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 12:33 AM   #512
Tech Regular

Guys,

Can anyone tell me the diameter of the front hinge pins and king pins?

Just got a R5 and about too start building it, been reading abou the front end building, and theres been some talk about loosening the lower/ upper pivot balls, just wondering how people actually acheive this?

Also, in terms of ensuring the king pins/ hinge pins are free, what do you guys generally polish them with?

Thanks

Dan
Crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 06:04 AM   #513
Tech Fanatic

Hinge pins are 2mm and the king pins are 1/8"

*** JK Model Racing ***
*** MIX-RC.DE TEAM ***
Joost K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 07:07 AM   #514
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up Ordering RC12R5

Hi,

I'm going to order a RC12R5 and I was wondering what extra's + spares that I need for racing. It looks like a nice little kit and something fun for the winter season.

I will be using a S9650 futaba servo / lrp tc esc / 10,5 lrp x11 motor.

Thanks in advance!
delanobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:12 PM   #515
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to David Galdo Send a message via AIM to David Galdo Send a message via MSN to David Galdo Send a message via Yahoo to David Galdo

I have only needed to rip open a bag of body posts. I have the usual spares, like the arms and such, but not ever needed them. This is a very tough car.

The ball cups will stretch, so have extras of them.

Get the complete spring sets for side and center.

Get the IRS .5 pills.

I would consider stiffening the front end by adding another brace in place of where the thick clip is. A brace and the thick clip are nearly the same, just remove some carbon fiber and glue.

I moved my servo back a touch so the tie rods are in front of the saver and it also allowed me to increase throw where before the wheel met the ball cup end sooner. I have lots of steering now. This change will require a new set of holes in the chassis.

Don't think you need to worry much about spares, unless you know you will need them.

Anyone else have suggestions....

Last edited by David Galdo; 09-14-2008 at 12:24 PM.
David Galdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 02:02 PM   #516
Tech Adept

@rezenclowd3

Jaco#4342 should be the number for 1/12 rears double pink, no?
Is this the only dbl pink tire, or in other words the one that everybody is using?

Thanks...
nutsisneat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 02:12 PM   #517
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to David Galdo Send a message via AIM to David Galdo Send a message via MSN to David Galdo Send a message via Yahoo to David Galdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutsisneat View Post
@rezenclowd3

Jaco#4342 should be the number for 1/12 rears double pink, no?
Is this the only dbl pink tire, or in other words the one that everybody is using?

Thanks...
I have JAC2935 DBL Pink Rears....
Old 09-14-2008, 03:30 PM   #518
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by delanobe View Post
Hi,

I'm going to order a RC12R5 and I was wondering what extra's + spares that I need for racing. It looks like a nice little kit and something fun for the winter season.

I will be using a S9650 futaba servo / lrp tc esc / 10,5 lrp x11 motor.

Thanks in advance!
If you use the LRP TC SPEC esc... You will have to remove the fan and heatsink before you mount it in the car. With the fan and heatsink you will have a problem fitting the body because of the tight fit. Also you should consider soldering some smaller gauge wires on it because the thick 12gauge wire can influence the movement of the rear-pod...

Joost.

*** JK Model Racing ***
*** MIX-RC.DE TEAM ***
Old 09-14-2008, 04:54 PM   #519
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

is there a way to tell if you have a 1sr or 2nd batch car. trying to get one with the new front end parts.
eddie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 04:57 PM   #520
Tech Rookie

it's only the lower arms that are different I think? They are cheap to buy as spares, so maybe it would pay to get a set and fit those.. should be the current generation? Or were the balls sized differently too?
BulletMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:00 AM   #521
Tech Fanatic

I recently bought a RC12R5 and I had NO problems with the front arms at all... So I guess that it's solved by AE...

Joost.

*** JK Model Racing ***
*** MIX-RC.DE TEAM ***
Old 09-15-2008, 08:26 AM   #522
Tech Initiate

Hello Guys,
The kit spur gear is 96T 64p, I'm trying to get 60mm rollout but can't fit a 39t Pinion... What spur gear do you guys use, I think I need a smaller one in the 80ish range or something? I can't seem to find any small spur gear online. Anyone can point me to a website that sells different size spur gears for the R5 please?
Thanks guys!!
RC12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:30 AM   #523
AE-Reedy

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Regarding the tight balls in the lower arms, there were only a small quantity of kits shipped with the tight arms. The spare part replacement arms have been correct from the first shipment. If you have a kit and the balls are tight in the lower arm just call or e-mail or tech guys, they will send you replacement arms at no charge. The upper arms have not had any problems.

The king pin is still .125", I'm not positive about the upper pin but there are no issues with them. Maybe the only thing would be a small bur where the pins get parted off.
Sean Cochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:38 AM   #524
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC12 View Post
Hello Guys,
The kit spur gear is 96T 64p, I'm trying to get 60mm rollout but can't fit a 39t Pinion... What spur gear do you guys use, I think I need a smaller one in the 80ish range or something? I can't seem to find any small spur gear online. Anyone can point me to a website that sells different size spur gears for the R5 please?
Thanks guys!!

http://www.precisionracingsystems.com/default2.aspx is where you can get a 76 tooth spur for running tall gears with a 17.5. I am normally using 40-45 tooth pinions. At my track we play with a 75 to 80 rollout.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:28 AM   #525
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

I got to drive my R5 for the first time yesterday and it was a blast. I run on med to med low bite asphalt and had the odd problem that it would randomly spin out. I am sure it is not setup right. I will have to do some more testing to figure out the problem. However I did have another issue that the rear end always wanted to swap ends in the corner. I tried double pink Jaco Prisms all around then used lilacs in the front, then tried lilac front and magenta rear. It SHOULD have been pushing like crazy from too little front traction and too much rear traction, however it STILL could not take corners at any decent speed. Diff was not slipping and felt VERY smooth like it should.

Running 20 wt AE oil in both dampers, and kit springs. I tried black side springs which did not help. Ride height at 4-5.5 mm as the track surface is pitted.
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote