Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-24-2008, 07:37 PM   #346
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to CarlosG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2 View Post
What, Yang winning? I'll put my money on Carlos
If you want to loose your money that bad just give it directly to me. I would not even bet on myself as of lately.
CarlosG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:44 AM   #347
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to David Galdo Send a message via AIM to David Galdo Send a message via MSN to David Galdo Send a message via Yahoo to David Galdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosG. View Post
I would not even bet on myself as of lately.
This is not anything new...
Old 06-25-2008, 06:40 AM   #348
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubonic-X View Post
I like to race not pull out my lap top and struggle thru chinese math problems to find the a friggin gear ratio! Of course Im embellishing to be funny but what im saying is true.

I raced in Socal in the early eighties and ninties and rollout may have existed but just like the other guy said you ask what pinion and spur you running and went from there and it worked just fine. Screw rollout walk up to somebody at the track ask them what they are running and leave your laptop and scientific calculator at home and RACE!!!!!
It's not rocket science, All you need is a cheapo set of calipers and a simple rollout chart printed out and in your box. I'll make a PDF to print off if you want.

I raced back in the day and I can tell you that things are totally different. Dumping is a thing of the past (except sometimes in mod). Stock is as fast as mod was in the 80's and early 90's and gearing is more important than ever in onroad racing.

If I'm running 17.5 in 12th and I tell some kid I'm running a 47/72 with a 1.57" tire, that's a 3.21" rollout (fairly agressive). If he runs back and hangs a 47/72 on his car with a 1.75" tire he's going to be running a 3.58" rollout and probably burn up his motor. With the larger tire he needs a 42 tooth pinion to get back to my rollout of 3.21". That's not 1 or 2 teeth off it's 5 teeth. This is why everyone that's fast in onroad uses rollout. Even the rubber tires are a little different diameter and it does change your gearing.
Fred_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:56 AM   #349
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Galdo View Post
This is not anything new...

No one asked for your $0.02.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:03 AM   #350
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosG. View Post
No one asked for your $0.02.
i think with inflation and hte price of gas, it is more like $1.25

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:57 AM   #351
Tech Initiate

Hello, I just got an RC12L3 and would like to know what servo is the best for it? Also, is there any online shop that sells parts for the 12L3? Any suggestion on what foam tires to use on an asphalt (Medium) bite track? How about body for it? TIA
RC12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:12 AM   #352
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to David Galdo Send a message via AIM to David Galdo Send a message via MSN to David Galdo Send a message via Yahoo to David Galdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by theisgroup View Post
i think with inflation and hte price of gas, it is more like $1.25

I am worth something! I am ready for the NYSE... I can tell my girlfriend I am not worthless.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:52 AM   #353
Tech Elite

Quote:
I am worth something! I am ready for the NYSE... I can tell my girlfriend I am not worthless.
yeah, well i would not say that.

hey ygpm

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
Old 06-25-2008, 12:16 PM   #354
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Smile torn between 2

Hey guys! I am just looking at doing a little upgrade in the 1/12th scale class this season and I am very torn between the bmi and 12r5. Can anyone give me any feedback on which way I should go? And please dont hold back.
WIITA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 02:13 PM   #355
Tech Master

Quote:
Quote:
yeah, well i would not say that.

hey ygpm
Too late, the market went down another 100pts. due what David said.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:43 PM   #356
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
I am going to flame because this is the most idiot way of thinking. you don't need to deal with roll out if your tires stay the same size. so you won't need it in off road, you won't need it running rubber tire in sedan.

I will try to explain the need for roll out without the formulas, because you are obviously not smarter then a fifth grader. this is for 1/12 which is the thread that we are in.

this weekend will be my last run on a set of tires. my rear tires are 42mm. with a 45 pinion and a 76 spur, my roll out is 78.126mm. that is one turn of the motor will put my car 78.126mm down the track. now next weekend I will be on a new set of tires. I start them at 46mm. with the same gear, my roll out is 85.567mm. that is 7.441mm furthur down the track. at 7.441mm larger roll out, I believe that a novak 17.5 will be in teh 200 deg F range. at least for our track. that means new motor to you. even at 2 teeth lower your roll out would be 81.764. that will put you .2-.3 a lap slower then my average lap. since we are doing 42 laps on our track, you would be 8.4-12.6 seconds slower. that puts you any where from 1-2 laps down from our track pace. by the way the fast lap for 1/12 on our current layout is 10.88. I have found 1 teeth + or - would yield lap time that are .1-.2 slower. so is roll out important? it is soo important, that the guys I race with are now carrying a built up diff with a 76 and a 78 tooth spur. to get that 1/2 tooth pinion rations. I have uploaded an excel spreadsheet several time that works for lots of guys at my track. if you have a phone that runs excel, then it will work for you. you just enter pinion, spur, tire size and internal ratio and it calculates rollout for -4 thru +4 pinion and -3 thru +3 spurs.
OK if I put my car on the track to practice with whatever size tires were on there and make sure its fast enough by OBSERVING other cars and adjusting my gearing as I had previously stated and I beat you in the main I think I proved my point. .... And I will further illustrate Mr Geek squad go get your laptop and go calculate your rollouts..Meanwhile I will be racing and having fun rather then crunching numbers thinking you will get that so called magic gear ratio with so called magic edge. LOL!
Dont make fun of my 5th grade edumacation Im hurt and devastated!!!
Thank you drive thru!!!!!
I love getting you guys going ballistic over the stupidest things its so easy....Thats what makes this country so great remember that

Signed
Laughing all the way to the hobby shop and the finish line...BOO YA!!!!!!
Bubonic-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:53 PM   #357
Tech Elite

Quote:
Signed

in last place!!!

Old 06-25-2008, 06:41 PM   #358
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Quote:
OK if I put my car on the track to practice with whatever size tires were on there and make sure its fast enough by OBSERVING other cars and adjusting my gearing as I had previously stated and I beat you in the main I think I proved my point. .... And I will further illustrate Mr Geek squad go get your laptop and go calculate your rollouts..Meanwhile I will be racing and having fun rather then crunching numbers thinking you will get that so called magic gear ratio with so called magic edge. LOL!
Dont make fun of my 5th grade edumacation Im hurt and devastated!!!
Thank you drive thru!!!!!
I love getting you guys going ballistic over the stupidest things its so easy....Thats what makes this country so great remember that

Signed
Bubonic-X - While this is a free country, and you're entitled to your personal opinion, at least acknowledge that some of these guys have been at this for a long long time and have some great knowledge to pass on to the RC community.

The "Mr. Geek" guys are trying to express that rollout is important and should be paid attention to in order prevent motor damage and improve performance, which will only further the fun factor!

Additionally, several of these guys attend National Races competing against other top racers, so they have learned from experience what is important and are only trying to help others learn.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:46 PM   #359
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIITA View Post
Hey guys! I am just looking at doing a little upgrade in the 1/12th scale class this season and I am very torn between the bmi and 12r5. Can anyone give me any feedback on which way I should go? And please dont hold back.
The 12R5 is still pretty new and unproven, while the BMI is an established kit. I'm still new to 1/12, but I like the CRC, BMI, and SpeedMerchant kits, but I don't think you could go wrong with any of the current kits.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:34 PM   #360
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I was wonderning if any of you run the Nats we just had with a BL and what was your spur and pinon ???
eflite300 is offline   Reply With Quote