R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-08-2012, 09:34 AM   #3526
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
That's odd, the Team AE drivers run standard shocks with no issues, as do I ?
My statement was just an opinion.....
Old 02-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #3527
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mracer View Post
My statement was just an opinion.....
hello I'm interested in how the hotbodies shock made a differance to your car as I was/am thinking about trying it too?
traitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #3528
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by traitor View Post
hello I'm interested in how the hotbodies shock made a differance to your car as I was/am thinking about trying it too?
To me it is a lot easier to work with i.e change oils, get air out, set rebound etc. With the Associated I was constantly (if I changed oil) replacing the o-rings and had trouble getting the air out and getting it to feel right. Sometimes it would go right together like it should and other times it seemed more finicky. I dunno. I just think the hotbodies is, for me, a lot easier to deal with. As far as how the car handled, it just seemed to make it work better and be more consistent. Spring and oil changes are also more noticeable for me with it. It doesn't do anything magical. It just made my car feel better to me.
Hope this helps
Old 02-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #3529
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The HB center shock just felt substantially smoother to me. Like the stock AE shock had lots of stiction. Although, I was one of those guys who had no issues building the AE shock. I could build it perfectly first time, every time.

Frankly, I noticed no performance benefit from the HB shock. But it allowed for slightly more droop adjustment and feels smoother on the bench... so what the hell?
JamesL_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #3530
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Does anyone have a blinky 17.5 setup? Maybe from the birds last week...

Since switching to the inline battery I have struggled... Curious if people are changing their setups at all.

Thanks!
gguertin145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #3531
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to xtrememadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL_71 View Post
The HB center shock just felt substantially smoother to me. Like the stock AE shock had lots of stiction. Although, I was one of those guys who had no issues building the AE shock. I could build it perfectly first time, every time.

Frankly, I noticed no performance benefit from the HB shock. But it allowed for slightly more droop adjustment and feels smoother on the bench... so what the hell?
i think its more of a convenience thing. always having to replace the o rings in the stock shocks is a pain. especially when you want to tune at the track. also the stiction if you dont! im thinking of trying speed merchants damper tube conversion along with hb shock!
Old 02-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #3532
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguertin145 View Post

Since switching to the inline battery I have struggled... Curious if people are changing their setups at all.

Thanks!
There are a few setups HERE

Also make sure you have the lipo plugs forward, for balance.

Most of the time, blinky and Mod use the same chassis setup, with different tire compounds.
Black front, Yellow rear is a good baseline tire setup for Blinky.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:29 AM   #3533
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to chicky03

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguertin145 View Post

Thanks!
I know masterhit runs his car in blinky and is really fast with it as well as Jb catricala made the main at the snowbirds. Maybe keven Hebert can get you jbs setup and masterhit can chime in.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:37 AM   #3534
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mracer View Post
One of the best things I think you can do for that car no matter which chassis you are running is get a different center shock. I went with the hotbodies and it made a bigger difference in that car over anything else I have done. I have run both setups and it helped both of them.
Exactly which shock are you referring to?
Dog Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:41 AM   #3535
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicky03 View Post
I know masterhit runs his car in blinky and is really fast with it as well as Jb catricala made the main at the snowbirds. Maybe keven Hebert can get you jbs setup and masterhit can chime in.
Thanks Paul, you're too kind.

Here is my standard set-up, which is just a variation of the common AE set-up. Don't be afraid to run big tires for club racing. I regularly start at 44.5mm for rears with a 2mm split.

The only thing that I do that is a bit abnormal (on the car) is run heavier side oils than most and use drag brake.

Important thing I forgot; I run the side springs with just a slight bit of pre-load at ride height. About a turn down from touching. To be honest my car hardly ever sees a tweak station.

For tuning I always start with front camber, and then tire treatment. Otherwise, not much needs to be changed for most conditions.

If things start getting "weird" I head right to the basics and freshen them up; front springs, side dampener, front kingpin dampening, and diff.

Thanks,

Mike Slaughter
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 12R5-2_MS_17.5.pdf (251.8 KB, 158 views)
masterhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:44 AM   #3536
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterhit View Post
Thanks Paul, you're too kind.

Here is my standard set-up, which is just a variation of the common AE set-up. Don't be afraid to run big tires for club racing. I regularly start at 44.5mm for rears with a 2mm split.

The only thing that I do that is a bit abnormal (on the car) is run heavier side oils than most and use drag brake.

Important thing I forgot; I run the side springs with just a slight bit of pre-load at ride height. About a turn down from touching. To be honest my car hardly ever sees a tweak station.

For tuning I always start with front camber, and then tire treatment. Otherwise, not much needs to be changed for most conditions.

If things start getting "weird" I head right to the basics and freshen them up; front springs, side dampener, front kingpin dampening, and diff.

Thanks,

Mike Slaughter
what have you found in stiffening the side shock?
Old 02-09-2012, 08:00 AM   #3537
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer x 1 View Post
what have you found in stiffening the side shock?
It mellows the car out and makes it more forgiving to drive by slowing down weight transfer.

It doesn't seem like much difference, but a change as small as 5wt can significantly alter the cars feel even for a average Joe racer like myself.

Thanks,

Mike Slaughter
masterhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #3538
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hi all...I've just started running my 12R5.1 w/ Lipo conversion and I love it! I used to run a 12R5 back when they were new and recall running a 1-2mm spacer on the lower arm mount to space the arm out from the block. As I recall this made the car smoother and more predictable into the corner. With the longer/wider lipo chassis is this still something guys do? I assume if yes, it has the same effect it had on the older chassis?

Cheers,
Mike
Old 02-09-2012, 12:11 PM   #3539
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper_Mike View Post
Hi all...I've just started running my 12R5.1 w/ Lipo conversion and I love it! I used to run a 12R5 back when they were new and recall running a 1-2mm spacer on the lower arm mount to space the arm out from the block. As I recall this made the car smoother and more predictable into the corner. With the longer/wider lipo chassis is this still something guys do? I assume if yes, it has the same effect it had on the older chassis?

Cheers,
Mike
with the new car being wider not alot of us are spacing on the lower arm mount we mainly now just space behind the wheel. as you said similar feel to the way it makes the car feel. alot of people are running about 1mm extra spacing.
thanks jason
Old 02-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #3540
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Mike did you run the battery inline with this setup or just the standard with the battery forward?
gguertin145 is offline   Reply With Quote