R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-08-2012, 09:34 AM   #3526
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 850
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
That's odd, the Team AE drivers run standard shocks with no issues, as do I ?
My statement was just an opinion.....
__________________
On-point/ EA horsey power/XFactory / Hudy / Tekin / Trinity / KO Propo / Reino's Ragu
mracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #3527
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 329
Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mracer View Post
My statement was just an opinion.....
hello I'm interested in how the hotbodies shock made a differance to your car as I was/am thinking about trying it too?
traitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #3528
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 850
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by traitor View Post
hello I'm interested in how the hotbodies shock made a differance to your car as I was/am thinking about trying it too?
To me it is a lot easier to work with i.e change oils, get air out, set rebound etc. With the Associated I was constantly (if I changed oil) replacing the o-rings and had trouble getting the air out and getting it to feel right. Sometimes it would go right together like it should and other times it seemed more finicky. I dunno. I just think the hotbodies is, for me, a lot easier to deal with. As far as how the car handled, it just seemed to make it work better and be more consistent. Spring and oil changes are also more noticeable for me with it. It doesn't do anything magical. It just made my car feel better to me.
Hope this helps
__________________
On-point/ EA horsey power/XFactory / Hudy / Tekin / Trinity / KO Propo / Reino's Ragu
mracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #3529
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,117
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

The HB center shock just felt substantially smoother to me. Like the stock AE shock had lots of stiction. Although, I was one of those guys who had no issues building the AE shock. I could build it perfectly first time, every time.

Frankly, I noticed no performance benefit from the HB shock. But it allowed for slightly more droop adjustment and feels smoother on the bench... so what the hell?
JamesL_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #3530
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 711
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Does anyone have a blinky 17.5 setup? Maybe from the birds last week...

Since switching to the inline battery I have struggled... Curious if people are changing their setups at all.

Thanks!
gguertin145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #3531
Tech Fanatic
 
xtrememadness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: new jersey
Posts: 954
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to xtrememadness
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL_71 View Post
The HB center shock just felt substantially smoother to me. Like the stock AE shock had lots of stiction. Although, I was one of those guys who had no issues building the AE shock. I could build it perfectly first time, every time.

Frankly, I noticed no performance benefit from the HB shock. But it allowed for slightly more droop adjustment and feels smoother on the bench... so what the hell?
i think its more of a convenience thing. always having to replace the o rings in the stock shocks is a pain. especially when you want to tune at the track. also the stiction if you dont! im thinking of trying speed merchants damper tube conversion along with hb shock!
__________________
CRAIG SANTRY / TAMIYA / TEAM ASSOCIATED / BROWNIES PRO AND SPORT HOBBIES / STATEN ISLAND SPEED TEAM / FUTABA / LRP / TEKIN / PROTOFORM / JACKSON RC / HORSHAM RC / EXOTEK RACING / REEDY
xtrememadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #3532
Tech Champion
 
RedBullFiXX's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Intergalactic Planetary
Posts: 6,541
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguertin145 View Post
Does anyone have a blinky 17.5 setup? Maybe from the birds last week...

Since switching to the inline battery I have struggled... Curious if people are changing their setups at all.

Thanks!
There are a few setups HERE

Also make sure you have the lipo plugs forward, for balance.

Most of the time, blinky and Mod use the same chassis setup, with different tire compounds.
Black front, Yellow rear is a good baseline tire setup for Blinky.
__________________
--> 12th scale Information Source <--

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:29 AM   #3533
Tech Master
 
chicky03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,949
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to chicky03
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguertin145 View Post
Does anyone have a blinky 17.5 setup? Maybe from the birds last week...

Since switching to the inline battery I have struggled... Curious if people are changing their setups at all.

Thanks!
I know masterhit runs his car in blinky and is really fast with it as well as Jb catricala made the main at the snowbirds. Maybe keven Hebert can get you jbs setup and masterhit can chime in.
__________________
Serpent America, Picco, Desoto Racing, Motiv, J Concepts, Nitro Pro fuel, PT RC Racing Oils, TQ Wire(best wire ever!), BSR tires, Arrowmax, Xceed, Sanwa, Amain Hobbies, MIP, Getcustomized, EZ Customs
chicky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:37 AM   #3534
Tech Master
 
Dog Bone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 1,410
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mracer View Post
One of the best things I think you can do for that car no matter which chassis you are running is get a different center shock. I went with the hotbodies and it made a bigger difference in that car over anything else I have done. I have run both setups and it helped both of them.
Exactly which shock are you referring to?
__________________
Ken Miller
T4 2015
CRC Xti WC/GenX-10
Dog Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:41 AM   #3535
Tech Regular
 
masterhit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 470
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicky03 View Post
I know masterhit runs his car in blinky and is really fast with it as well as Jb catricala made the main at the snowbirds. Maybe keven Hebert can get you jbs setup and masterhit can chime in.
Thanks Paul, you're too kind.

Here is my standard set-up, which is just a variation of the common AE set-up. Don't be afraid to run big tires for club racing. I regularly start at 44.5mm for rears with a 2mm split.

The only thing that I do that is a bit abnormal (on the car) is run heavier side oils than most and use drag brake.

Important thing I forgot; I run the side springs with just a slight bit of pre-load at ride height. About a turn down from touching. To be honest my car hardly ever sees a tweak station.

For tuning I always start with front camber, and then tire treatment. Otherwise, not much needs to be changed for most conditions.

If things start getting "weird" I head right to the basics and freshen them up; front springs, side dampener, front kingpin dampening, and diff.

Thanks,

Mike Slaughter
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 12R5-2_MS_17.5.pdf (251.8 KB, 158 views)
masterhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:44 AM   #3536
Tech Master
 
racer x 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: im 4rm a far away place called 1st
Posts: 1,825
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterhit View Post
Thanks Paul, you're too kind.

Here is my standard set-up, which is just a variation of the common AE set-up. Don't be afraid to run big tires for club racing. I regularly start at 44.5mm for rears with a 2mm split.

The only thing that I do that is a bit abnormal (on the car) is run heavier side oils than most and use drag brake.

Important thing I forgot; I run the side springs with just a slight bit of pre-load at ride height. About a turn down from touching. To be honest my car hardly ever sees a tweak station.

For tuning I always start with front camber, and then tire treatment. Otherwise, not much needs to be changed for most conditions.

If things start getting "weird" I head right to the basics and freshen them up; front springs, side dampener, front kingpin dampening, and diff.

Thanks,

Mike Slaughter
what have you found in stiffening the side shock?
__________________
Matt Bell
Mugen MRX5 Ae R5.2 X6^3 M11x All powered by Speedtech Rc
racer x 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:00 AM   #3537
Tech Regular
 
masterhit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 470
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer x 1 View Post
what have you found in stiffening the side shock?
It mellows the car out and makes it more forgiving to drive by slowing down weight transfer.

It doesn't seem like much difference, but a change as small as 5wt can significantly alter the cars feel even for a average Joe racer like myself.

Thanks,

Mike Slaughter
masterhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #3538
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Calgary, AB CANADA
Posts: 833
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Hi all...I've just started running my 12R5.1 w/ Lipo conversion and I love it! I used to run a 12R5 back when they were new and recall running a 1-2mm spacer on the lower arm mount to space the arm out from the block. As I recall this made the car smoother and more predictable into the corner. With the longer/wider lipo chassis is this still something guys do? I assume if yes, it has the same effect it had on the older chassis?

Cheers,
Mike
__________________
Mike
Hyper_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:11 PM   #3539
Tech Regular
 
racing_jason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane
Posts: 317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper_Mike View Post
Hi all...I've just started running my 12R5.1 w/ Lipo conversion and I love it! I used to run a 12R5 back when they were new and recall running a 1-2mm spacer on the lower arm mount to space the arm out from the block. As I recall this made the car smoother and more predictable into the corner. With the longer/wider lipo chassis is this still something guys do? I assume if yes, it has the same effect it had on the older chassis?

Cheers,
Mike
with the new car being wider not alot of us are spacing on the lower arm mount we mainly now just space behind the wheel. as you said similar feel to the way it makes the car feel. alot of people are running about 1mm extra spacing.
thanks jason
__________________
Thank you to my sponsors-
Team Associated-Reedy-ProLine-B&B Hobbies Racing
racing_jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #3540
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 711
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Mike did you run the battery inline with this setup or just the standard with the battery forward?
gguertin145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
*Team Associated RC12R5* Zdiddy R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 8 08-31-2008 12:03 PM
RC12R5 Setup Sheets Cubic$Racing Electric On-Road 2 06-20-2008 10:27 AM
Team Associated RC12R5 ammo Singapore R/C Racers 12 05-15-2008 08:37 AM
AE RC12R5 alana07 Singapore R/C Racers 3 03-27-2008 09:56 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:20 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net