R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-01-2011, 07:44 AM   #3361
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goots View Post
anybody running a d3 13.5 blinky? looking for rollout and gearing suggestions
I am running a d2.. Everyone at our track is between 80~ 85.. We run 76 spurs and mid 40 pins. Thr track is 100x48 of beautiful CRC carpet...

Www.seattlercracers.com or as we call it Hangar 30.... H30 for short.

1/12 is the tightest racing class we have with IIC, Snowbirds and podium nats finishers laying it down.. Then guys like me who just like to finish...
TC7|TC6TEK|12R5.2|10R5.1
Logi Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:38 AM   #3362
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_K View Post
Guy's

Arn0 and I have changed the R5.1 set-up sheet. We have created a R5.2 Inline set-up sheet with lots more options to fill in. Arn0 made a awesome sheet.

Have a look:
http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/asso...SetupSheet.pdf

Regards
Robert
looks great!
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:26 AM   #3363
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I am trying to sort out an issue with my Associatted 12r5.1

I running the 5.1 chassis (not the wide), kit setup with Enneti tyres on asphalt. The problem I am having is from initial turn in to mid corner. As soon as I touch the wheel the front of the car jerks into the corner (rear end doesn't slide out) followed by mid to exit corner understeer.

The diff is functioning properly, its ultra smooth and I can apply power without worrying about spinning out. The only setting I have found to smooth the car out is to run the front upper arms flat. The only problem is this makes the mid corner understeer worse. Running the minimum castor and removing 2 droop shims brings some mid corner steering back.

The angles of the steering links (ackermann and bump steer) don't seem to have any effect either. They are currently inline with each other when viewed from the top and front of the car. I'm running 5% drag brake with a SP4.5 1s motor. Battery is in the back position. ride height is 3.5mm front 4mm rear with the chassis level through the middle. Pod droop is 1mm.

All the usual things like weight distribution, tweak, freeness of the pod and suspension are all good. The problem is there regardless of tyre compound, traction compund and body shell. It also is there with the inline chassis.

The only thing I am unsure about is the clearance between the shaft and the lower ball in the front suspension. There is a small amount of play and it was like this from new. There is also a bit of the slop in the steering links, also there from new.

I was thinking of using some really heavy grease (Tamiya Antiwear Grease) on the kingpins as 30000wt doesn't seem to do much.

Is this normal 1/12th behaviour? Any suggestions of things to try for the next time I give the car a run?
dontfeelcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:41 AM   #3364
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontfeelcold View Post

I running the 5.1 chassis (not the wide), kit setup with Enneti tyres on asphalt. The problem I am having is from initial turn in to mid corner. As soon as I touch the wheel the front of the car jerks into the corner (rear end doesn't slide out) followed by mid to exit corner understeer.

The diff is functioning properly, its ultra smooth and I can apply power without worrying about spinning out. The only setting I have found to smooth the car out is to run the front upper arms flat. The only problem is this makes the mid corner understeer worse. Running the minimum castor and removing 2 droop shims brings some mid corner steering back.

The angles of the steering links (ackermann and bump steer) don't seem to have any effect either. They are currently inline with each other when viewed from the top and front of the car. I'm running 5% drag brake with a SP4.5 1s motor. Battery is in the back position. ride height is 3.5mm front 4mm rear with the chassis level through the middle. Pod droop is 1mm.

All the usual things like weight distribution, tweak, freeness of the pod and suspension are all good. The problem is there regardless of tyre compound, traction compund and body shell. It also is there with the inline chassis.

The only thing I am unsure about is the clearance between the shaft and the lower ball in the front suspension. There is a small amount of play and it was like this from new. There is also a bit of the slop in the steering links, also there from new.

I was thinking of using some really heavy grease (Tamiya Antiwear Grease) on the kingpins as 30000wt doesn't seem to do much.

Is this normal 1/12th behaviour? Any suggestions of things to try for the next time I give the car a run?
In the fact that you didn't mention what tire compound your running I believe your learning the difference between "big" changes and "little changes"

I myself just back into it and am receiving a buttload of little change advice like diff, tube lube, ft kingpin lube etc but I can tell it's a tire thing which to me is a big change

I've basically only had one set of tires to test with and noticed with all the "little" change advice the car was basically the same

So what tires are you running or do you have to test?

Last edited by Infinite 12th; 12-06-2011 at 06:55 AM.
Infinite 12th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:32 AM   #3365
Tech Master

I am running Enneti Mediums on the rear and Hard on the fronts. Putting Mediums onto the front doesn't help either. I also have run a soft rear - medium front combo with the same result.

It seems to be a consistent handling trait so far. When I get some different brand tyres I will see what happens. I will probably start with a CRC Purple front CRC magenta rear.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:01 PM   #3366
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Out of curiousity... what is your turning radius/circle? And how are your end points/dual rate/steering expo set on your radio?
JamesL_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:51 PM   #3367
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
I am running Enneti Mediums on the rear and Hard on the fronts. Putting Mediums onto the front doesn't help either. I also have run a soft rear - medium front combo with the same result.

It seems to be a consistent handling trait so far. When I get some different brand tyres I will see what happens. I will probably start with a CRC Purple front CRC magenta rear.
Maybe pink rear and double pink/magenta ft too
Old 12-07-2011, 12:32 AM   #3368
Tech Master

My turning radius is 4ft and im running -30% expo on the steering.

Its an off throttle turn in thing. Can changes to the side and centre shock oils and springs affect the front?
Old 12-07-2011, 12:43 AM   #3369
Tech Master

I am also running the KO PDS-951.

What about setting my EPA at %100 and setting my dual rate to 40? I will get the same end points and turning circle but with a different shape to the steering curve.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:41 AM   #3370
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Motor Change?

When do you guys make a motor change due to age and or performance?
13.5 to different 13.5 or 17.5 to a different 17.5?
What are the things you are looking for in drop off?
Thanks and God Bless
CRC WTF-1
Jsaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:02 AM   #3371
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
My turning radius is 4ft and im running -30% expo on the steering.

Its an off throttle turn in thing. Can changes to the side and centre shock oils and springs affect the front?
Have you tried Mikes' setup.
Associated RC12R5
He runs the car fairly soft, and it's real easy to drive.

Softer side springs will smooth corner entry.
But as always, tires, and tire dia, play a major factor in the handling of any car.

Can you post up a pic of your R5 ?

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:55 PM   #3372
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:

Try changing your pod droop almost to zero. The easiest way for me to set this-------pick up the car and have the rear pod slightly lower to level with the front part of the chassis. Your eyeballing it but its close enough

Steering Link Slop fix.-----I used TC6 Ball ends and bought some B4 front Turnbuckles on the car. Zero Slop now

I would also make ride height the same front and rear
Hope this info is useful
idbdoug
idbdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:30 AM   #3373
Tech Master

Some pics and check out the wear on the tyre. Haven't had this before, probably something to do with the understeer and the long sweeping corners (1/8th scale track)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/204/img2823r.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/839/img2827f.jpg/

Things to try:

-small tyres
-no pod droop
-play with dual rate
-heavy grease for kingpin lube
-soft springs
-slopless steering
-tyre compounds
Old 12-08-2011, 07:06 AM   #3374
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Some pics and check out the wear on the tyre. Haven't had this before, probably something to do with the understeer and the long sweeping corners (1/8th scale track)

Things to try:

-small tyres
-no pod droop
-play with dual rate
-soft springs
-slopless steering
-tyre compounds
It could just be the angle of the pic, but it looks like your motor wires could stand to be a bit longer... not saying that this is the cause of your problem.
JamesL_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:14 AM   #3375
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:

Things to try:

-small tyres
-no pod droop
-play with dual rate
-soft springs
-slopless steering
-tyre compounds
Nice ride.
A few more things to try.

The motor wires could be binding up the pod, I don't think there is enough room to route them the way you have done.
Free pod movement is key for a 12th scale to work properly.

With the original 5.1 the team setup was to add 2mm shims to each side of the lower front arms, making the front track 4mm wider, that will settle the car down quite a bit.

Also, you have your caster shims all the way forward, that is a pretty aggressive setup for corner entry.
Have you tried thin front, thick rear shims ?

And your side damper is reversed, check that it isn't rubbing on anything.

One example of wire routing from Team AE page

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote