R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-25-2011, 08:29 PM   #3226
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

i thought 80mm rollout was best for 17.5 boost?
most of the fast guys at my track were running that. i ran around 81/82 rollout with 40boost 20 turbo.

though speed wasnt what i was missing ha.
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:52 PM   #3227
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Coming back to the hobby but looking just to do 1/12 since there is a new indoor track nearby, any advice will be appreciated. I am looking at the ASSOCIATED but i see SERPENT has a nice 1/12 out. I will decide in the next few days. I know these 1/12 cars are silly fast so i could use some advice. Weird thing is i always wanted to do the 1/12 thing but did not want to drive 30 miles to do it, now i am more willing with the new indoor place only 8 miles from my house
Serpent Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:59 PM   #3228
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by valk View Post
i thought 80mm rollout was best for 17.5 boost?
most of the fast guys at my track were running that. i ran around 81/82 rollout with 40boost 20 turbo.

though speed wasnt what i was missing ha.
running non-boosted
Johnn27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:18 PM   #3229
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpent Lover View Post
Coming back to the hobby but looking just to do 1/12 since there is a new indoor track nearby, any advice will be appreciated. I am looking at the ASSOCIATED but i see SERPENT has a nice 1/12 out. I will decide in the next few days. I know these 1/12 cars are silly fast so i could use some advice. Weird thing is i always wanted to do the 1/12 thing but did not want to drive 30 miles to do it, now i am more willing with the new indoor place only 8 miles from my house
I have an Associated car, but I've had a chance to look at the Serpent close up, they are very similar in design. The Serpent runs a little more active front caster, but otherwise I can't spot a difference. The build quality of the Serpent though looks totally Ace. If you're a Serpent Lover, get the Serpent, it's a little more for spares but I don't think you will be disappointed. Caveat: I'm talking about the models with the transverse battery arrangement, not the new longitudinal set-up cars.
Australian 12th Scale hastag: #EP12AU
Radio Active is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:10 AM   #3230
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Only 30 miles? My trek is 85 miles each way to get my fix.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:29 AM   #3231
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Anyone else have problems keeping the screws in these cars? One night I lost both screws on one pod plate and both nuts and screws out of the center pod pivot. Last night one of the links came undone under the spring, surprisingly halfway driveable.

Also, any solution to the front body posts stripping out from even the slightest tap?
anthonyscardina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:35 AM   #3232
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Active View Post
I have an Associated car, but I've had a chance to look at the Serpent close up, they are very similar in design. The Serpent runs a little more active front caster, but otherwise I can't spot a difference. The build quality of the Serpent though looks totally Ace. If you're a Serpent Lover, get the Serpent, it's a little more for spares but I don't think you will be disappointed. Caveat: I'm talking about the models with the transverse battery arrangement, not the new longitudinal set-up cars.
Yea was looking at the SERPENT S120 LT, i want to get a car that i can easily get parts for, what normally breaks in a crash on these 1/12 scale cars? Thanks in advance. By the way i have been hearing that the track near me most of the guys are running the ASSOCIATED thats why i was looking into it, but I LOVE SERPENT cars.
Serpent Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:42 AM   #3233
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyscardina View Post
Anyone else have problems keeping the screws in these cars? One night I lost both screws on one pod plate and both nuts and screws out of the center pod pivot. Last night one of the links came undone under the spring, surprisingly halfway driveable.

Also, any solution to the front body posts stripping out from even the slightest tap?
Usually the screws will eventually seat and stay tight but if not just use a tiny bit of blue threadlock and your issues should be over. As to the front body posts I have experienced the same issue and found that using the longest screw possible will help but not eliminate the issue. I just keep spares and replace as needed.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:06 AM   #3234
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyscardina View Post

Tony, Blue loc-tite is your friend.

Avoid tapping things! Seriously, I have not stripped out a front mount in the three years of racing my 12R5.1, however, that is a good suggestion of using a longer screw.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:48 AM   #3235
Tech Master

rc12 has come a long way
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associated_RC12
superspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:26 AM   #3236
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to chicky03

Quote:
Yea was looking at the SERPENT S120 LT, i want to get a car that i can easily get parts for, what normally breaks in a crash on these 1/12 scale cars? Thanks in advance. By the way i have been hearing that the track near me most of the guys are running the ASSOCIATED thats why i was looking into it, but I LOVE SERPENT cars.
Front arms, maybe steering blocks and bent front king pins. Its pretty hard to do that but those would be the things that could happen.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:24 PM   #3237
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicky03 View Post
Front arms, maybe steering blocks and bent front king pins. Its pretty hard to do that but those would be the things that could happen.
On the Associated damage occurs to the front of the chassis fairly easily unless you make your own front bumper. Corner chassis protectors help, but not as much as a proper bumper does.
Australian 12th Scale hastag: #EP12AU
Radio Active is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:57 PM   #3238
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by superspeed View Post
That brings back memories. I had the RC12i or 12L cant remember but it was in that time frame. It had two servos and one controlling that aweful speed control. Also had the Delta Triple Shock 12th scale that was much better for me. I will never forget, thanks!
Josh-n-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:25 AM   #3239
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Is a tight loose tight feeling common in the associatted 1/12 diffs? I swapped a bunch of parts around on my diffs and I don't think my flanges are running 100% true on the axles.
dontfeelcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:32 AM   #3240
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by superspeed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya View Post
That brings back memories. I had the RC12i or 12L cant remember but it was in that time frame. It had two servos and one controlling that aweful speed control. Also had the Delta Triple Shock 12th scale that was much better for me. I will never forget, thanks!
Lots of cool stuff on the Classic 12th Scale Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontfeelcold View Post
Is a tight loose tight feeling common in the associatted 1/12 diffs? I swapped a bunch of parts around on my diffs and I don't think my flanges are running 100% true on the axles.
Sounds like a bad set of diff rings.
Have had the best luck with the standard AE rings.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote