Here is my 12R5.1

Cheers Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Associated RC12R5-carbon-update-01.jpg  
Daniel W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:14 PM   #3077
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

ah man. i wish my r5 looked like that. almost amkes me want to rip out all the wires and shorten like i did on my tc5. though soldering servo leads back together seems to end badly sometimes for me..
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:59 PM   #3078
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to Blue Screw

Hey guys i noticed in some of the pic on rc50 from the icc in vegas Pauly L. and Josh Cyruls 1/12 cars they had lrp mounted with reciever packs.. Paul you could def tell he was running a SSx SS with a fan mounted on the chassis anda reciver pack.. Now joshs you cant tell what lrp speedo it is but he also has a fan mountto the chassis and a reciever pack.. i thought you could not use packs or werent suppose to? Is there a way to or gain from it?
XRAY~RCAMERICA~HUDY~SRC~MURNAN MODS
Blue Screw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:51 PM   #3079
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

So I picked up a 12R5 (NIB) for $120 and I was planning on buying the new AE conversion kit (ASC4690) for it. I know the conversion comes with a new bottom and top "pod" plates, can anyone tell me if the R5 side/motor plate will work or will I have to buy the R5.1 side/motor plate along with the motor mount standoff?
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:59 PM   #3080
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Question:

How much play should the front suspension have? Specifically the front steering blocks/kingpin? I have been out of 1/12 for over 8 years, but I dont remember any of my old Trinity cars having this much play in the front... Granted, I purchased this car used, so it may just need the blocks replaced... not a big deal if that is the case, I already acquired plenty of spares.
JamesL_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:12 PM   #3081
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
So I picked up a 12R5 (NIB) for $120 and I was planning on buying the new AE conversion kit (ASC4690) for it. I know the conversion comes with a new bottom and top "pod" plates, can anyone tell me if the R5 side/motor plate will work or will I have to buy the R5.1 side/motor plate along with the motor mount standoff?
The old style pod from the R5 will work with the new chassis, The R5.1 rear pod balances a brushless motor to the center whereas the old pod was best with brushed motors.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:15 PM   #3082
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL_71 View Post
Question:

How much play should the front suspension have? Specifically the front steering blocks/kingpin? I have been out of 1/12 for over 8 years, but I dont remember any of my old Trinity cars having this much play in the front... Granted, I purchased this car used, so it may just need the blocks replaced... not a big deal if that is the case, I already acquired plenty of spares.
All the play should be in the ball cups. If it's too much then it's time to replace the cups.

If the play is up and down in the kingpins just add shims or replace the springs.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:48 PM   #3083
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
The old style pod from the R5 will work with the new chassis, The R5.1 rear pod balances a brushless motor to the center whereas the old pod was best with brushed motors.
Thanks for the Info!
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:28 AM   #3084
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Blue Screw

Like saidin a earlier post if theres play in the kingpin add a shim to a certian extent.. dont add a bunch and preload the front spring... Take the spring off and measure the spring with a set of dial calibers If my memory serve me right i believe a new set of 1/12 AE spring should measure 24.5... i think thats it i have it written down somewere inmy notes but after so many runs its wise to change spring to a new fresh set and throw the old ones out so they dont get mixed up. I know all of my sponsored race buddies including myself change front spring every 2 to 3 runs specially in mod.. Some actually change to a new set every run and then just keep them for club racing.. In my opinion the 2nd run feels the best.. Just because there broken in and give just the right amount of front droop with the stock setup inwashers... So what i do prob sounds goofy and urprob like wow he nuts. When wet to large indoor carpet races like nat,snowbirds,and cleveland i would prerun the springs in.. kinda like u do with tires run the set in prac then mark it and do another set the next round. then use them for qual and the main... Another tip measure the thickness of the spring as sometimes there off and you could get a 18 spring and a 20 spring together or a 19 and a 20.
But i will say this it seem they changed suppliers or changed the grade of the springs cause this year i change sponsor and sign with AE an and when i ordered my kits and parts i order a bunch of .20 front spring and open the all and measured them so i could match them and they were all perfectly the same and the color is a little different as with the ones last year they were sooo inconstistant and that what got me making sure they were the matched and wore out very quickly..
XRAY~RCAMERICA~HUDY~SRC~MURNAN MODS
Blue Screw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:48 AM   #3085
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
All the play should be in the ball cups. If it's too much then it's time to replace the cups.

If the play is up and down in the kingpins just add shims or replace the springs.
you can take of slop in a ball cup by pressing it on over a piece of plastic baggie. the worst ones can take two. if it too tight you can easily remove the bit of plastic and try again with a thinner bag.

AE springs are known for getting sacked but are also inexpensive, so start with a fresh set and shim for near zero droop.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:23 AM   #3086
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs View Post
you can take of slop in a ball cup by pressing it on over a piece of plastic baggie. the worst ones can take two. if it too tight you can easily remove the bit of plastic and try again with a thinner bag.

AE springs are known for getting sacked but are also inexpensive, so start with a fresh set and shim for near zero droop.
I like the baggie idea. Will try it soon.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:17 AM   #3087
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)
Default Help

I am totally new to 1/12,I cant figure out why my car lifts 1 rear wheel when turning to the left. I have tried everything i know of,loose wiring(TQ 16ga) loose sensor wire,Ive tried messing with diff tensions(setting),stiffer/softer side springs,stiffer side shock oils.The tires are not chunked. I dont understand it and ive got a big race coming up next weekend,If anybody could help me i would/will totally appreciate it PLEASE , Thanks in advance.car is 12r5.1 with lipo conversion
traitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:40 AM   #3088
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by traitor View Post
I am totally new to 1/12,I cant figure out why my car lifts 1 rear wheel when turning to the left. I have tried everything i know of,loose wiring(TQ 16ga) loose sensor wire,Ive tried messing with diff tensions(setting),stiffer/softer side springs,stiffer side shock oils.The tires are not chunked. I dont understand it and ive got a big race coming up next weekend,If anybody could help me i would/will totally appreciate it PLEASE , Thanks in advance.car is 12r5.1 with lipo conversion
Got any close up pictures of ft and rear?
Infinite 12th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #3089
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by traitor View Post
It would be helpful if you could post a few pics of your car, tire size, surface you run on, with setup info.

There is only one setting for the diff, and that's locked, free and smooth as possible, a diff that isn't locked will cause inconsistent handling.
If it's locked and free so as turning one wheel does not turn the motor, you have it about right.

Have you balanced the electronics on the chassis with balance buttons or scales ?

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:21 AM   #3090
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

I dont have any pics handy, i can take some although i dont know how to post them but can try.Carpet track smallish in size dont know exact size, med grip, my tires are trued to 45mm rear and 44mm front,yes i did balance it when I put together with those hudy balance pin things will check again.What kind of photos do you need ,where on car exactly? thanks for help

Last edited by traitor; 10-10-2011 at 11:36 AM.
traitor is offline   Reply With Quote