R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-04-2011, 02:48 PM   #2791
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

the bronze pivot balls are worthwhile in the upper arm since they don't ever seem to develop any slop. But the neither the bronze balls or the hardcoated aluminum ones work nearly as well in the lower arm as do the standard issue nylon balls. On the bench, when first installed, one can be fooled into thinking that a new bronze lower ball is an upgrade since it yields slightly less play than most nylon balls. But if you push up on the out end of the axle (which is the force that is actually imparted on the car when it is on the track), the sliding action of the kingpin is notchy compared to how it will side thru a nylon ball while the axle is under load. Even if you can get the new bronze ball to slide smoothly when first installed, as soon as you run the car once and check it again (by pushing up on the outer end of the axle), all of the metal balls will soon develop a notchyness that doesn't occur with a nylon ball. Your money is better spent on the occasional replacement of the lower balls with new nylon ones. Bronze is great for the top, but it sucks for the bottom (where it is critical to have reliably smooth sliding of the kingpin).
vafactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:19 PM   #2792
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafactor View Post
the bronze pivot balls are worthwhile in the upper arm since they don't ever seem to develop any slop. But the neither the bronze balls or the hardcoated aluminum ones work nearly as well in the lower arm as do the standard issue nylon balls. On the bench, when first installed, one can be fooled into thinking that a new bronze lower ball is an upgrade since it yields slightly less play than most nylon balls. But if you push up on the out end of the axle (which is the force that is actually imparted on the car when it is on the track), the sliding action of the kingpin is notchy compared to how it will side thru a nylon ball while the axle is under load. Even if you can get the new bronze ball to slide smoothly when first installed, as soon as you run the car once and check it again (by pushing up on the outer end of the axle), all of the metal balls will soon develop a notchyness that doesn't occur with a nylon ball. Your money is better spent on the occasional replacement of the lower balls with new nylon ones. Bronze is great for the top, but it sucks for the bottom (where it is critical to have reliably smooth sliding of the kingpin).
The situation that you describe with the lower ball sticking is precisely thae issue I was having with the plastic ball. Replaced the ball, same issue. Replaced the arm and ball, same issue.

I'll give it a few runs and look out for what you're describing, though. Thanks for the heads up.

Tekin & Sweep, thanks for all that you do for you know who!

Associated/T.O.P./Mugen/Fantom/Spektrum/Savox
Buckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:31 AM   #2793
Tech Initiate

Ive recently purchased a 12r5.1. I took it to the track yesterday for the first time, and bounced it off the boards, i was very suprised not to break the car with any of the hard hits, i did managed to smash the centre out of a rear CRC whee,l destroy the body and rip the speedy off the chassis tho.
*Its my first onroad car*

How much throw (in Deg) should i have the steering setup with?
also how much toe do you guys run?
Ash_038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:21 PM   #2794
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_038 View Post
Ive recently purchased a 12r5.1. I took it to the track yesterday for the first time, and bounced it off the boards, i was very suprised not to break the car with any of the hard hits, i did managed to smash the centre out of a rear CRC whee,l destroy the body and rip the speedy off the chassis tho.
*Its my first onroad car*

How much throw (in Deg) should i have the steering setup with?
also how much toe do you guys run?
Ash, I had my steering turned down to about 45% and had -1deg of toe.

Robert

MRJ Racing
Bobtheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:23 PM   #2795
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Will there be a convertion kit for the new parts that changes the layout of the batterys and speedo, and if so or not.... when will this, or the new car be out 4 sale
Blink281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:58 AM   #2796
Tech Elite

There's a new car coming out?
RoyU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:19 AM   #2797
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman2 View Post

Cheers.
This..

Olly J is using this @ the Euros in France this weekend...
Old 03-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #2798
Tech Elite

What's the advantage of having the battery in line and to the right with the electronics to the left?
RoyU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #2799
Tech Regular

I have a Futaba S9650 servo, but I have an Airtronic M11x radio. Do I need to mess with the polarity at all? Also, can I just dremel the little thing on the side so it will fit into the receiver?
Old 03-08-2011, 12:23 PM   #2800
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle3333 View Post
I have a Futaba S9650 servo, but I have an Airtronic M11x radio. Do I need to mess with the polarity at all?
NO, polarity should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle3333 View Post
Also, can I just dremel the little thing on the side so it will fit into the receiver?
YES, just dremel the little tab off.
slakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #2801
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
The situation that you describe with the lower ball sticking is precisely thae issue I was having with the plastic ball. Replaced the ball, same issue. Replaced the arm and ball, same issue.

I'll give it a few runs and look out for what you're describing, though. Thanks for the heads up.
If your nylon balls are not rotating smoothly, it will affect the suspension movement. You can take them out (using a ball popper like the CRC one), mount them in a drill or dremel (use a long countersunk 3mm screw and a nut to make sure the ball mounts centered), and take a little material off. I used a scotch brite pad with a bit of cream metal polish for lube to prevent dry scratching and keep the ball smooth. Careful, though... you only need to take off a hair, otherwise you'll end up with slop. Spray it off, remount, and it's glass smooth with no slop if you got it right.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:09 PM   #2802
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyU View Post
What's the advantage of having the battery in line and to the right with the electronics to the left?
Must be something to do with better weight distribution or something
Old 03-09-2011, 11:47 AM   #2803
Tech Apprentice

I think more balance in the car, and more cornerspeed....

But it would be nice if someone fra AE could answer what is going on....

Many other cars to chose from insted of buying a car that is going to be discontinued..
Old 03-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #2804
Tech Addict

Just testing to see if something might be better for the future. Nothing new at this point.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:01 PM   #2805
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

someone got bored at the grandslam race last month in indy and dremeled this between rounds 1 AND 3

RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote