Wiki Posts
Search

Associated RC12R5

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 09:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ferrarimk13
hey speedy, i noticed the damper shock has some oil on the cap, is it not tight, or was that just some that spilled over? nothing comes out right?
I think that is the flashing from it being molded.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:58 PM
Tech Regular

hey speedy, i noticed the damper shock has some oil on the cap, is it not tight, or was that just some that spilled over? nothing comes out right?

The shocks are very good! After 3 days and 2 classes at our regionals mine still are as smooth as when they were built, And no leaks!
Old 04-22-2008, 11:50 PM
Tech Regular

Hi,

yes, the dampers don't leak. It is some oil that was left over from building them and the flash makes it visible. With your eyes it isn't visible...

Cheers
Chris
Old 04-23-2008, 06:14 AM
Tech Adept

I will vouch for Walt and the performance of the R5 at the regionals a few weeks ago. I had to run some Mod against him...

I have been racing for many years and have seen some very good cars. Freshly built out of the box, correct me if I am wrong Walt, but I think he may have added a softer side spring but that is it! The car was one of the best I have ever seen!

It just wasn't fair... This chassis is the real deal.

Jeremy
Old 04-23-2008, 04:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Tower has these in stock today, limited quantities.

Hopefully other retails and Local Hobby Shops should have them very soon.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:50 PM
Tech Rookie

Curious to hear any more racing reports with the new car. Considering buying one of these or the BMI.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:26 AM
Tech Addict

i think you should go with BMI, great support here, and they run great. Very simple cars as well. Most of the parts you see on the R5 might eventually end up being made for the other pan cars.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Built my car last night. The fit and finish is way better than the last L4 I built and pretty much all of the front end is new. Finally, a car where I don't have to cut the steering blocks.

The shocks are pretty trick.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Any more reports from real world club racers? I keep kicking around getting a new 12th scale and this one looks pretty good.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:21 PM

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Dasupacat1
Maybe my ticket back to carpet racing.
You too Ben?
Old 05-07-2008, 04:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dasupacat1
You too Ben?
I'm still running a 12th scale and TC. Always looking at the pretty, new cars that are out.

Ben
Old 05-07-2008, 04:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i think you should go with BMI, great support here, and they run great. Very simple cars as well. Most of the parts you see on the R5 might eventually end up being made for the other pan cars.
From what I've been reading that might not be so. I know alot of the parts are good ideas and all that but it comes down to simple facts like, would you rather have an antenna mount/ shock mount or an antenna shock mount with droop adjustment that is 4 time heavier? I would rather cut the ball cups than add alot of weight to my car and maybe save an extra 1 minute in the pit. Same thing with the front end... Noble idea but alot more weight with that aluminum thing... not to mention extra screws needed with it, and your also essentially doubling failure points while your at it, tripling if you add the risk of the aluminum bending...

Sorry to be a naysayer and arm chair engineer but just stating my opinion and sometimes I think as a buyer you should be an arm chair engineer before you commit to buying something and get an idea of something and get an opinion.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:19 PM
Tech Addict

i guess you're right, theres a lot we're treading on even though we dont have any real results from it. It does sound heavy, but you never know. I think associated really put some time in trying to make a car that not many can interchange with.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Tech Champion

I got to hold one of the ones that came in locally the other day. It is a bit on the heavy side and tipped the scales at 808 grams without body, though the owner did have some rather heavy electronics in the car. There is some fit issues that I saw, some minor binding of the king pins in the lower pivot balls and a tad of stick in the shock. Overall a lot less fit issues then we see in most 1/12th kits today. It's really a nice looking car and I look foward to seeing them race this coming weekend...but I plan for them to be behind my car
Old 05-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Just built my 12R5. Shocks are different and took a few build attempts to figure out the best procedure to build them. Once I figured it out they were super smooth and very consistent. Much more so than any of the other micro shocks in the past that I have built including the Silva/IRS, Calandra shocks. Personally I always liked the older associated micro shocks more than the newer Silva style. Have not tried the new HB shock. I feel the shocks are allot more consistent through the entire range of motion and very smooth compared to other shocks out there. Although the plastic shock bottom nut is annoying and easy to strip/weaken if you don't build the shocks correctly. Rear end is super free and smooth. Front end was a challenge. The upper eyelet was perfect. Very smooth and free with no play. The lower A arms and kingpins were a challenge. The lower A arms were very very tight with the pivot ball and took probably 2 hrs to free them up to where I was satisfied. Also the Kingpins were stupid tight in the pivot balls and took another hour to get them to fall through and not have play. All in all I spent probably 4+ hrs on the front end alone. After that though its super smooth and free. And very little play (pretty much nonexistent). Granted its been about a year and a half since I have built a Associated front end from my oval racing period but I don't remember the older pieces taking that much work to get free. But with some work the new front end was free and very tight. Now to install electronics and mount a body/paint and ill be able to give a report on weight and its performance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.