R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-04-2008, 10:07 AM   #211
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterhit View Post

I will have get Bill to bring a video camera next time and get some footage to put up of the car in action.

Mike Slaughter
Please do Mike,
Bill will have to have some good camera movement to keep up with Chris.
I think Chris ran the fastest laps ever at our track!!!.
knapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:26 AM   #212
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to Ferrarimk13

okay, great. Ill wait until some pics, cant wait!
Old 04-04-2008, 12:15 PM   #213
Tech Fanatic

I am not sure about the chemistry but I really thought carbon fiber was made from polypropylene. They take the threads and pass them through an hot oven to "char" the threads. Then pass the chared threads through another oven under tension and the carbon fiber is formed.

I think that would be a cheaper process than making fiberglass.
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:05 AM   #214
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to Ferrarimk13

maybe in some situations, but not all, because it needs the epoxy to harden it, in the first place.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:21 PM   #215
Tech Regular

I received my kit this week (sample kit to check for bugs) and ran our regionals this weekend with it.
Bob did a great job on this car. You will all be very happy with the R5.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:28 PM   #216
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterhenderson View Post
I received my kit this week (sample kit to check for bugs) and ran our regionals this weekend with it.
Bob did a great job on this car. You will all be very happy with the R5.
I'll second that, I've never seen a car corner as flat and smooth as the Walter's R5. It ran full out modified as flat and perfect of a line as the nations best stock guys and even duplicated the fastest laps 7 minutes into the run.
Great wheel Walter

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
miller tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 09:56 PM   #217
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Ok read up to the sixth page and have to ask as I am really interested in this model. As a proud owner of the Traxxas E-Maxx, I am now getting ready for an electric on road. This one really stuck out there for me. I am a total newbie for on road so my question is this model an asphalt race car? I am not planning on competitions but want to get on out there with the nitro guys at the track for the fun of it as I have with my monster truck. Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated.
espresso1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:20 PM   #218
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)

espresso,

You might want to consider a touring car instead. I am not trying to talk you out of 1/12th scale as I believe it to be a great class. It has very low ground clearance and running on anything beside perfectly flat surface can be very challenging. If your a casual guy and just want to mix it up with the guys and still want to run in front of your house then I suggest a T.C. instead.

Steve
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:58 PM   #219
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by corallyman View Post
espresso,

You might want to consider a touring car instead. I am not trying to talk you out of 1/12th scale as I believe it to be a great class. It has very low ground clearance and running on anything beside perfectly flat surface can be very challenging. If your a casual guy and just want to mix it up with the guys and still want to run in front of your house then I suggest a T.C. instead.

Steve

Thanks Steve for the advise. I do not plan on using it around the front yard, but might consider the smooth parking lot at work. I have also considered the tc5. Will the rc12r5 run good on this type of track?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xYVOdW6Dt9M
Old 04-06-2008, 11:09 PM   #220
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)

Espresso,

I have never been to that track but I know that is a 1/8th nitro track designed for larger cars. I think the surface would be fine for the 12R5 but I would be worried about the visibility of the car on the track. I have been in this hobby/sport for 28 years and I have done all the common classes of cars including 1/8th. At our track if you put a 1/12th next to the inner pipes at our old track the 1/12th car would not be visible at all. If a 1/8th scale car came booking down the straight a 70mph and hit the 1/12th there would be mega damage, angry drivers and potential flying cars. In practice this could cause some concern. In reality since I've never been to that track and since I don't know the track policies I can't say for sure.

I can tell you though that a good speed for a 1/12th electric car is roughly
40mph and a 1/8th nitro can go about 70mph. The closing rate of the nitro on the 1/12th would be very hard on the drivers.

Steve
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:13 PM   #221
Tech Master

Great, this is just the information I need. This track runs 1/8 and 1/10 so I am assuming I can run a brushless 1/10 with other 1/10 scale cars? They are all nitro guys but the guy that runs it has advised that on practice he does not have a problem with electric on road. On the off road I am the only electric as well but since my emaxx is a big and is able to keep up a bit, there has never been problems. Again never done on road so this has definetly helped me in decision making of the 1/12.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:33 PM   #222
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by espresso1967 View Post
Great, this is just the information I need. This track runs 1/8 and 1/10 so I am assuming I can run a brushless 1/10 with other 1/10 scale cars? They are all nitro guys but the guy that runs it has advised that on practice he does not have a problem with electric on road. On the off road I am the only electric as well but since my emaxx is a big and is able to keep up a bit, there has never been problems. Again never done on road so this has definetly helped me in decision making of the 1/12.
If you're interested in 1/12th scale pan cars like the RC12R5 check out some of the new 1/10th scale pan cars coming out from BMI (DB10R), CRC (Gen X 10), and a few other companies. Put a lipo or 6 cell pack in one of those and a 4.5 brushless and it'll be ballistic and easily be faster than most of the nitro cars. However, I'd suggest you start with something a little slower like a 10.5 or 13.5 until you get used to the new car and your driving skills improve. Even with a 10.5 or 13.5 it'll be too much for you to handle right away with a 6 cell or lipo pack.
Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:09 AM   #223
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike View Post
If you're interested in 1/12th scale pan cars like the RC12R5 check out some of the new 1/10th scale pan cars coming out from BMI (DB10R), CRC (Gen X 10), and a few other companies. Put a lipo or 6 cell pack in one of those and a 4.5 brushless and it'll be ballistic and easily be faster than most of the nitro cars. However, I'd suggest you start with something a little slower like a 10.5 or 13.5 until you get used to the new car and your driving skills improve. Even with a 10.5 or 13.5 it'll be too much for you to handle right away with a 6 cell or lipo pack.
Thanks guys for the help, I greatly appreciated. Would hate to buy something because of my inexperience here and not be happy.

That Gen X 10 is wicked looking. I might consider something like this. I am still a few months from buying as I am in the process upgraind my emaxx to a brushless but soon as that is done, my next project onroad.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:23 AM   #224
Tech Fanatic

Okay, back on track with the R5... I believe I have read that some people already have the R5? Are there any tips & tricks on the R5? Maybe even a build report?

Joost.

*** JK Model Racing ***
*** MIX-RC.DE TEAM ***
Joost K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:20 AM   #225
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joost K. View Post
Okay, back on track with the R5... I believe I have read that some people already have the R5? Are there any tips & tricks on the R5? Maybe even a build report?

Joost.
I approuved

And when will it be available...was supposed to be at the end of March...now April...???

thanks