Associated RC12R5

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 05:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Arrow

Originally Posted by user_Err0r
Hello, I am new to these forums, but not really to RC
I recently bought a 12r5.1 FT Kit and i am looking for a good brushless setup to run laps at our LHS Carpet oval.

Does the 1/12 scale use the 1/10 scale motor setup?
i was looking into a mamba Max 5700

Thanks!

Any other Newb 12r tips would be great!
Typically and I'll be biased here Tekin, LRP, Mamba alongside of the Black Diamond speed controls are all decent products to consider. Personal I have the Tekin, due to features it offers and adjustability. Again that's what I personally run, other opinions will differ. Consulting your local track will help you decided that best fits you along with "trackside" support.

Accordingly the 1/12 type cars incorporate a traditional 540 sized motor. So, any 540 sized motor or for sake of being motors that are aimed for 1/10 will fit a 1/12.

Tips? Here's a few links that I favor should help you..
Mark Payne's 1/12 Notes
Richard Chang 1/12 Notes
I'm sure others can input sets ups, guides and so forth..

Personal tip:
Previous to owning a BMI I did run the AE 12R5 non brushless. Make sure you build the center shock to factory specs. Your center pivots should move freely and not bind. Lastly, build the front end carefully, take your time with it. Typically this goes with any 1/12 front end. It took me well over a couple hours building my retro-fitted 12R5 front end on my Db12RR. Just make sure your titanium rods are STRAIGHT as if they are skewed, or slightly angled if can cause your caster to be off I believe if I recall right. Best of luck!
Old 02-22-2010, 05:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Just wait you'll see Lol... For as long I've known him he's alway's been a dick towards me Lol...

Originally Posted by Recoiled Revo
I wish I knew what everyone has against Ron he never steered me wrong.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:04 PM
Tech Rookie

[QUOTE=
Personal tip:
Previous to owning a BMI I did run the AE 12R5 non brushless. Make sure you build the center shock to factory specs. Your center pivots should move freely and not bind. Lastly, build the front end carefully, take your time with it. Typically this goes with any 1/12 front end. It took me well over a couple hours building my retro-fitted 12R5 front end on my Db12RR. Just make sure your titanium rods are STRAIGHT as if they are skewed, or slightly angled if can cause your caster to be off I believe if I recall right. Best of luck![/QUOTE]

Thanks for all the Tips, as with most things ive got a lot of reading and research to do. most recently ive been running a custom Exotek RC18b setup for carpet oval. Its quite the screamer, It will be nice going to something "less complicated" drivetrain at least.

I like to drive a car that is way faster than the track is, so you can always get that faster lap or streak that is on the edge that sometimes you forget to breath.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Team Speedy
Personal tip:
Previous to owning a BMI I did run the AE 12R5 non brushless. Make sure you build the center shock to factory specs. Your center pivots should move freely and not bind. Lastly, build the front end carefully, take your time with it. Typically this goes with any 1/12 front end. It took me well over a couple hours building my retro-fitted 12R5 front end on my Db12RR. Just make sure your titanium rods are STRAIGHT as if they are skewed, or slightly angled if can cause your caster to be off I believe if I recall right. Best of luck!
Angled tie rods will affect ackerman settings, which determines the difference in steering angle between the front tires. Zero ackerman means both tires turn the same amount, whereas adding ackerman means the inside tire turns more than the outside tire.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:39 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mike ivy
Sorry man, Im not into biting guy's Lol... And yes i have some advice, Learn to Drive!!! Lol... And most importantly... Dont listen to Ron Webb!!!

Look on Associated site they have some dialed setups. dump the purples and go to lilacs or softer if that doesnt work go to angled servo setup.
Smart ass! I was thinkin about the softer front tires.

Originally Posted by walterhenderson
Angled servo will make it push more. Keep it flat! Different tires, for sure. Try yellow rears with black fronts.
Don't be afraid to dope the fronts,3/4 is common with blacks.
Where is your battery? foward or back. We all run it back. Way more consistant.

Give more info on your setup!!!
Battery is in the back. I built the car as per the instructions as far as set up goes, with the exceptions listed in my earlier post. What do ya think about the orange rears. I'm not a big fan of how the yellow rears chunk up.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I don't have a lot of experience with this car, but I've found that orange rears tend to lose grip after 5-6 minutes. Up to the point where the rear grip goes away, the car is DIALED - after that, you'd better be prepared to hang on for those last few laps.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Default North East online shops

Does anyone have any good reccomendations for NE online shops that carry 12r Parts and Hop ups.

I am in NY, Upstate.

Good Stock and Fast shipping always a plus.

Thanks!
Marc
Old 02-22-2010, 11:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Associated Parts House...
Old 02-23-2010, 12:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cain
what is the smallest spur gear that can be fitted on the vehicle?

What is the largest pinion in combination with the smallest spur?

Trying to know what limitations are there so I can decide on gearing options.
Smallest spur you can fit to any 12th car is a 76T (64DP). Below that you can't get the gear in the diff!!

The largest pinion depends on how far forward you can get the motor. Limited in a CRC, miles of room in a BMI DB12RR. Not sure on a 12R5.

Gearing is dictated by the motor. If you have a 17.5, then it's a 76 in order to get the ratio you need. A 13.5 will need an 80 or 84T, and 10.5 or above you can use an 88T or 96T. Look to the ratio you want to run and the tyres sizes you want to use before deciding on a range of pinions.

Your spur and pinion sizes will depend on the motor first, the tyre size second and the room in the pod third. HTH
Old 02-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by user_Err0r
Does anyone have any good reccomendations for NE online shops that carry 12r Parts and Hop ups.

I am in NY, Upstate.

Good Stock and Fast shipping always a plus.

Thanks!
Marc

http://rcmarket.com.hk/index.php?cPa...sort=2a&page=4
Old 02-23-2010, 01:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SlowerOne
Smallest spur you can fit to any 12th car is a 76T (64DP).
I have a 72 on my CRC GenXL. I don't know if I could go smaller as I haven't tried but I do know for sure that 76 isn't the smallest.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I've got a 72 on my R5.1 right now. Depending on what setting I'm using in the speedo really effects my spur choice.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:20 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

thanks for the info guys.

Got some stuff coming for the RC12r5.1 and hope to have a better showing at the next race on the 6th.

I will say, of the AE cars I have owned, from the TC3s back when they were popular to a variety of B4s and T4s and an RC8 & RC8T, this one is fast becoming my favorite AE vehicle I have owned.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Default digital servos...

do they work with analog systems? ive tried to connect the servo to my reciever and there seems to be a tab on the connector which doenst allow the servo to plug into the reciever. thanks in advance.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

just trim the tab off the edge of the servo connector and will be fine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.