R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-20-2009, 09:57 PM   #1951
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by obi wun View Post
What are the effects or differences of running .018 front springs or .020 front springs. What does it make the car do?
Running .018" springs will allow more weight to transfer to the front tires which will add steering and potentially a traction roll if you are on a high bite track. I don't know many than run springs that light and would only put them on as a last resort.
SteveL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:58 PM   #1952
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tiko

Hello Gents, I just got my first 12th scale car Associated 12R5. Iím going to start to put the kit together tomorrow. I wanted to know if there are any tips or tricks that I should be aware of. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Tiko
tiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:54 AM   #1953
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiko View Post
Hello Gents, I just got my first 12th scale car Associated 12R5. I’m going to start to put the kit together tomorrow. I wanted to know if there are any tips or tricks that I should be aware of. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Tiko
Read the manual and assemble it accordingly. If you follow the instructions you will be 90 to 95% set-up for the chassis. Now tires and electronics are another story. Find out what tires are working at the track. Electronics, they all seem to work but try to get the smallest ones.

Last edited by AreCee; 12-21-2009 at 08:44 AM.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:37 AM   #1954
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Did Cyrul make a conversion for this car?
bmcallister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:55 AM   #1955
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcallister View Post
Did Cyrul make a conversion for this car?
He's supposed to be making one, but I don't think it has been released yet. Just get an R5 and be done with having to fill the damper tubes all the time.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:04 AM   #1956
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
Running .018" springs will allow more weight to transfer to the front tires which will add steering and potentially a traction roll if you are on a high bite track. I don't know many than run springs that light and would only put them on as a last resort.
Hey Steve. When are you coming to Indy to race.

BTW...Mod almost always uses 18 springs and most stock guys do when traction is high....I have been running them all the time for about 1yr...

Steve Dunn
sdunnmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:18 AM   #1957
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
Read the manual and assemble it accordingly. If you follow the instructions you will be 90 to 95% set-up for the chassis. Now tires and electronics are another story. Find out what tires are working at the track. Electronics, they all seem to work but try to get the smallest ones.
Thanks AreCee, Iím in SoCal and fairly new in the RC scene. We had an indoor carpet track that didnít last too long only a few months. Now we have a new indoor asphalt track that I plan on going with this car to practice and hopefully to have enough car to race. Just by talking to some of the TC and F1 guys track has a lot of grip for both rubber and foam tires. When I got the car kit I bought the JACO Double Pinks Front and Rear. For the electronics I have the Futaba S9650 servo, LRP X11 17.5 BL motor, and the Spektrum SR 3500 DSM micro receiver. I need to get a speed control for this kit; the one that I have is too tall to fit under the body. Anyhow thanks for the response and if you can give any other pointer it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Tiko
Old 12-21-2009, 10:51 AM   #1958
Tech Elite

The ESC that I highly recommend is the Tekin RS for its size, performance, programability and customer service. I now use Tekins in all my toys from micro to 1/8 e-buggy. Only once did I have a problem and it was replaced at no charge to me.

If you are thinking of using 1S lipo then I recommend the new Trinity LiFE RX 220mah pack, at 6.6V it shouldn't blow the servo (Futaba 9650 like I have) and frees the 1S pack to supply only the motor. Now you'll need a compatable charger but the good news is that almost all the Chinese chargers will do all battery chemistries (I think they're all made by one company and rebadged to be sold by a dozen or more others).
Old 12-21-2009, 11:43 AM   #1959
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
The ESC that I highly recommend is the Tekin RS for its size, performance, programability and customer service. I now use Tekins in all my toys from micro to 1/8 e-buggy. Only once did I have a problem and it was replaced at no charge to me.

If you are thinking of using 1S lipo then I recommend the new Trinity LiFE RX 220mah pack, at 6.6V it shouldn't blow the servo (Futaba 9650 like I have) and frees the 1S pack to supply only the motor. Now you'll need a compatable charger but the good news is that almost all the Chinese chargers will do all battery chemistries (I think they're all made by one company and rebadged to be sold by a dozen or more others).
Yes I am going to go with the 1S lipo it would make life much more easier. Now this Trinity Life RX 220mah pack is this a receiver pack or a regular 1S. Also do I need to have a receiver pack is it necessary.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:53 AM   #1960
Tech Elite

Quote:
Yes I am going to go with the 1S lipo it would make life much more easier. Now this Trinity Life RX 220mah pack is this a receiver pack or a regular 1S. Also do I need to have a receiver pack is it necessary.
It's a 220mah receiver pack that is using the LiFe (Lithium Iron) chemistry. That's supposed to be safer and more robust than Lipo. If you go 1S then you need either a voltage booster like the Novak or TQ or a receiver pack to feed 6V to the radio and servo. The Tekin can be set-up using the Hotwire to work with either.

If you elect not to use either the booster or RX pack then be prepared for slow steering and weaker reception.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:00 PM   #1961
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
It's a 220mah receiver pack that is using the LiFe (Lithium Iron) chemistry. That's supposed to be safer and more robust than Lipo. If you go 1S then you need either a voltage booster like the Novak or TQ or a receiver pack to feed 6V to the radio and servo. The Tekin can be set-up using the Hotwire to work with either.

If you elect not to use either the booster or RX pack then be prepared for slow steering and weaker reception.
Thanks got it, by any chance would you have the item number for this. Or if you have a web site that I can get it form.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:01 PM   #1962
Tech Elite

Quote:
Thanks got it, by any chance would you have the item number for this. Or if you have a web site that I can get it form.
Check out Nexus Racing they have a ton of 1/12 stuff.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:46 PM   #1963
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Check out Nexus Racing they have a ton of 1/12 stuff.
Thanks AreCee
Old 12-21-2009, 02:00 PM   #1964
Tech Master

Quote:
Check with the Hobby Store you plan on racing at first... if they don't have it or can't get it, then go online to find one. You cant race your car online.
TEP2006

People who don't have to wait for the latest item, should not tell those that do, that "It's worth the wait"
EricF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:17 PM   #1965
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricF View Post
Check with the Hobby Store you plan on racing at first... if they don't have it or can't get it, then go online to find one. You cant race your car online.
TEP2006
EricF thanks for the item number