R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-17-2009, 10:04 AM   #1546
Tech Addict

From my experience pink have more traction and are less prone to chunking. They yellows can free the back of the car up and give better rotation and would be my recomendation for 17.5. However they do have a tendancy on some types of carpets to ''go off'' around 5 or 6 minutes if this is the case then back to pink
John_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:35 AM   #1547
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_S View Post
From my experience pink have more traction and are less prone to chunking. They yellows can free the back of the car up and give better rotation and would be my recomendation for 17.5. However they do have a tendancy on some types of carpets to ''go off'' around 5 or 6 minutes if this is the case then back to pink
+1
The yellows are a little smoother when they slide. Pinks hold on and then snap lose instead of slide threw the corner like yellow.

Latley I have been playing with the same tire around the car. I like the way it feels. Even the last couple mins the car stays neutral when the tires go off. Plus its about 2 tenths faster then black/ pink or yellow.

DK
PartTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:05 PM   #1548
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTime View Post
Latley I have been playing with the same tire around the car. I like the way it feels. Even the last couple mins the car stays neutral when the tires go off. Plus its about 2 tenths faster then black/ pink or yellow.
DK
Bingo
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:27 PM   #1549
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Here's a pic of my freshly build RC12R5.1

Not so happy about the wires yet, The are of the old car, need to do them again.

Greetings

Robert
Old 09-19-2009, 02:41 PM   #1550
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hi Robert

Looks good.

Did you buy the blue screw kit or is that how they come now with blue screws?
Old 09-19-2009, 07:12 PM   #1551
MD
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Robert - Nice work.
MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:29 PM   #1552
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Nice looking car Robert. Ive been thinking about getting into 12th scale and am pretty sure this is the car I want.
wcalaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:40 AM   #1553
Tech Fanatic

The blue screws are bought seperately. The kit comes with black steel screws... Nice car there Robo...

*** JK Model Racing ***
*** MIX-RC.DE TEAM ***
Joost K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:19 AM   #1554
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Robert

where did the blue front brace come from?
bmcallister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:28 AM   #1555
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 126 (100%+)
Default hey part time

Quote:
Ok, my car was dialed. So dialed that pretty much everybody that saw the car told me it looked awsome and not to touch it. That was the setup posted on rc10.com. Well, I raced the car two more races like that. The next race I couldn't unscrew my head from my butt so the finish was not that great. The last race I had my head screwed on right and did very well with the car again. It was the same easy to drive missile for all three races. The following race it started to develop a double steer. Then it started to throw the rear into the corners. I rebuilt everything. I cleaned everything. I realigned...you get the idea.

Well that chain of events sent me off on a tuning spree. I played with just about everything I could over the last couple weeks of track time. First off i would like to say that the car could be a step or two off on chassis setup before it really effected the clock. Very easy to get in the ball park. One thing that threw me for a loop is the side springs. I get the concept, soft means more mid corner rear traction. But when lowering the side spring rate to softer I had to dope less of the front too. Still trying to wrap my head around that one. Any way...

I have seen a few tuning guides on the net and there all good but I really haven't seen any hard fast rules. I think I have a few. Let me know what you guys think.

Front.
Caster: This is front grip. If you need more grip then move the upper arms forward. If its too much, move it back.
Reactive caster: This is where you want your grip. Going into the corner (10deg), even all the way threw the corner (5deg) or mid corner to exit (0deg).
Start with .018 front spring. If the traction is high or you have to dope heavy in front then .020's would probly be better.

Unless your having rear traction issues or your tires are WAY off then I would start with caster.

When you have that set, next is the side spring/shock spring combo. The two have a balance to each other where they work in side grip and forward grip evenly. That seems to be

Silver side/blue shock
blue side/gold shock... I would start here for stock/ss on carpet.
gold side/red shock.

A really good starting setting for the shocks is 30wt/30wt.

Set your side springs as soft as the lay out will let you. And by that I mean find the fastest, tightest direction change and see if the car goes threw it or if your waiting for the car to change direction. You shouldn't have to lift off the throttle for the car to change direction. Too stiff of a side spring and the steering will get twitchy right off center and it will start to throw the rear into the corner. This action starts to show up as double steer then gets worse. When I went from a gold side spring to a blue one, the car went a tenth faster. Then from the blue to silver it didn't get faster but it was more consistent. Any softer and I bet it would have slowed down. Pretty quick and easy to find the right side springs. Then fine tune the shock spring for the on-power steering you like.

There you go. Caster and side springs will get your chassis 90% there. Then fine tune the tires, aerodynamics and oils to finish it off.

DK
where do you race at in Mi
CRC Gen XL / Xray 09 , t2r pro / CW sprint and CW rocket / Kyosho evolva m3 / Tekin rs / Futaba 4pks / Trinity / Dirtburners thanks Bill / 1/8th racers of Toledo / Trex chassi / Summit Race way / Stateline
LAZER SPEEDWAY where all else IS just a parking lot / Hobby Stop West Raceway
2056dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:08 AM   #1556
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Quote:
+1
The yellows are a little smoother when they slide. Pinks hold on and then snap lose instead of slide threw the corner like yellow.

DK
So yellow all around or magenta all around? I always like magenta all around on the crc car.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:47 PM   #1557
Tech Regular

Sean C,

Can you post your setup from vegas. Also can you have some of the guy's that ran 1/12 17.5 post their setup also.

Steve Dunn
Indianapolis USA
sdunnmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:41 PM   #1558
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I'm nobody special, and certainly not a pro driver, but I managed to sneak my 12r5 into the middle of the 17.5 12th A Main in Vegas. I'll get my settings posted as soon as I get a chance.

AWD
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:59 PM   #1559
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 126 (100%+)
Default 12th scale tires

wow is there a such thing as yellow front tires .
CRC Gen XL / Xray 09 , t2r pro / CW sprint and CW rocket / Kyosho evolva m3 / Tekin rs / Futaba 4pks / Trinity / Dirtburners thanks Bill / 1/8th racers of Toledo / Trex chassi / Summit Race way / Stateline
LAZER SPEEDWAY where all else IS just a parking lot / Hobby Stop West Raceway
2056dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:01 PM   #1560
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2056dennis View Post
wow is there a such thing as yellow front tires .
No