Search

GT10 Class

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 06:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
I agree...$290 for a pan car?....TC5R is $350
But if we pay it that is what they are going to ask for!
Old 07-18-2008, 07:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

@RLS
Yeah the main thing behind running the GT bodies was so the common person could identify with it. I love the new Proto body and will get one, but for big races I will have to run the GT style body. I think another thing behind the the GT bodies is to keep the speeds down.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:12 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grenade10
But if we pay it that is what they are going to ask for!
Yes and thats a problem that needs to be delt with in some way. I dont know how it could be done effectively but I feel that there needs to be a cap on the price set by the big race promoters and the rule making bodies.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Three
The bodies of the World GT class look more like cars that the average person can associate with. This could help bring more new people into the class. The Pro10 class uses the LMP style body for that true prototype race car look.
Don't get me wrong, as I like the return of pan cars to the RC racing scene. It's just great having cars that look like real street cars.
The new narrow LMP cars could be used inside or on carpet, or places where a 235mm chassis is too big. I have several narrow Associated Jag bodies that would be great for this narrow (200mm) chassis.
Can you imagine racing both the GTs and LMPs at the same time just as they do in the real world. What a kick that will be.
And by the way...... Pan cars rule !!!!
I could see the GT cars being used for stock/superstock and LMP for modified. Why don't these cars run 8 minutes?
Old 07-18-2008, 09:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mrrcguy
Yes and thats a problem that needs to be delt with in some way. I dont know how it could be done effectively but I feel that there needs to be a cap on the price set by the big race promoters and the rule making bodies.
I can't wait to see the price on Serpent's 1/12 car. If they release a 1/10 version, I am sure if will sell for more than the least expensive TCs.

Pan cars are expensive because they can be produced in small quantities which drives the price up.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Amen Rick!! On all counts!!
Old 07-18-2008, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

In the BBR LeMans Cup series we are running here we run the cars for 6 minutes. I think we could go 8 minutes pretty easily.
As far as bodies go, the GT bodies look cool and there are lots of them to choose from, but low traction levels at most of the local tracks have got guys looking for 200mm GTP or LMP bodies. The GT bodies don't generate much downforce (no where near as good as a TC body) so running them on low bite tracks is frustrating. I found an old Frewer GTP (I think its an Intrepid) gas body that plants the car big time.
If the class grows there should be room for running both GT and GTP classes. Like Rick says GT would be good with less horsepower and Prototype bodies would be better for modified
Old 07-18-2008, 09:56 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
I could see the GT cars being used for stock/superstock and LMP for modified. Why don't these cars run 8 minutes?
That would be great. I personally don't like the whole GT body idea so mod and a LMP body sounds like a good idea.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:06 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Fred_B
That would be great. I personally don't like the whole GT body idea so mod and a LMP body sounds like a good idea.
TC could go the way of the Dodo eventually. That is just the way things are although there should always be room for it to exist like 1/12 has existed.

My biggest fear is that we end up with GT Stock, SuperStock, Modified, Masters, Amateur. And LMP Stock, SuperStock, Modified, Masters, Amateur. This is a very good possibility and when added with 1/12 classes, there are way too many.

I like the way the LMP body looks. But that is what we race in 1/12 (for the most part). So either split the 1/10 classes by body type, or leave 1/12 as LMP and 1/10 as GT (preferable in my opinion).
Old 07-18-2008, 10:33 AM
Tech Adept

"I like the way the LMP body looks. But that is what we race in 1/12 (for the most part). So either split the 1/10 classes by body type, or leave 1/12 as LMP and 1/10 as GT (preferable in my opinion)."

Couldn't have said it any better Rick.

One of the best parts of this new class is how cool the bodies look going around the track. That's one of the reasons Sedan class was so popular right away. They actually looked like real cars you could see on SPEED channel. People could relate to them.

We have the chance here to have a new, fun, lower cost class. Lets not start sub dividing it before it gets rolling.

See everyone in Vegas.

Take care.-Bruce
Old 07-18-2008, 11:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by SpeedMerchant
"I like the way the LMP body looks. But that is what we race in 1/12 (for the most part). So either split the 1/10 classes by body type, or leave 1/12 as LMP and 1/10 as GT (preferable in my opinion)."

Couldn't have said it any better Rick.

One of the best parts of this new class is how cool the bodies look going around the track. That's one of the reasons Sedan class was so popular right away. They actually looked like real cars you could see on SPEED channel. People could relate to them.

We have the chance here to have a new, fun, lower cost class. Lets not start sub dividing it before it gets rolling.

See everyone in Vegas.

Take care.-Bruce
Two classes and two classes only!!!

GT = 17.5/lipo GTP/Group C/LMP = 13.5/lipo. Of course you can do slight variations to support four cell batteries.

Run them together with the top ten going into the A main regardless of class. Award points/trophies/applause first through third by the two classes.

As OD stated above, we are doing this here in NorCal with good success. While there is a discrepancy in the speed between the two classes, it does force caution on the part of the faster cars when passing the slower cars and that's a good thing. Also, by combining the two into one race, you do not add too much additional time to the race program. At larger events you can do resorts and most of the GT cars will gravitate lower on the grid.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Crashby
Two classes and two classes only!!!

GT = 17.5/lipo GTP/Group C/LMP = 13.5/lipo. Of course you can do slight variations to support four cell batteries.
That fits with us here in Colorado as well. But we have used the 10.5 and GTP on the 235 cars. We were talking Wednesday night about maybe changing to the 13.5, so I'm sure we can get the local racers behind this as well.

I'd agree on the down force as I have a 200mm GTP similar to the old spice car that plants the 200mm almost as good as the 235 with the PewJoe Med down force. I also like the "Class in a Race" which will keep counts up and make it look good.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:42 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
My biggest fear is that we end up with GT Stock, SuperStock, Modified, Masters, Amateur. And LMP Stock, SuperStock, Modified, Masters, Amateur. This is a very good possibility and when added with 1/12 classes, there are way too many.
I agree that we can't get to a point where there are so many classes. That's why I've been pretty much staying out of the whole debate.

I think we need to get everyone to agree on 4 cell or 6 cell to keep everything from splitting up. If we go to 6 cell it's going to have to have some pretty slow motors so that new people can actually start to race.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What about 4cell GT and 6cell/lipo GTP?
Old 07-18-2008, 02:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mrrcguy
Im not sure if this has been brought up already, but I want to hears some opinions on it so here it is.

Everyone knows (I guess anyway) that TC's did not start out expensive. We allowed them to become expensive. What can or should be done to keep this from happening?

Go!
Well IMO if GT10 class mimicks the Oval 1:10 class the cars will start out decently price, and not esclate in cost. So $300~400 today, $300~400 in a year or two later becuase the parts, craftmanship and engineering were put into making the car. A racer could reasonable expect a their car to compete well for many years sicne the race proven geometry has been around for decades.

With sedans, 1/18's ect. The cars/kits started at $179 RTR and esclated to $500+ barebones Kit. The reason is that cheaper plastic parts are being replaced with race proven parts and engineering. The lure of cheap racing once again folds on its self. Most sedans become obsolete in two years because of the constant improvements.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.