Wiki Posts
Search

SMC 28C 4000/5000 Hardcase Lipo part 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 03:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
Today were starting to ship out our new 3200/28C/7.4V pack. This new pack comes in the same casing as our 4000 pack and retails for 135.00. This pack uses the same materials as our 4000 and 5000 packs so the IR and voltage is very good. We were asked to release this pack as the 21.5 ROAR Oval class has a 3200 mAh limit.

Here are the numbers of a random pack cycled at 35 amps. 334 seconds , 7.28 average voltage and 7.9 IR.

Saddle pack samples are in and I have sent out a pack to a racer to test the fit and wire length. As soon as we know that the fit is o.k. we will go into production. The pack will be rated at 4900/22C and will come with 10 gauge wire to keep the resistance as low as possible. The dimensions are H 25mm x L 67mm x 45mm.

The pack I tested at 35 amps has 515 seconds , 7.34 average voltage and 7.2 IR. I think this is pretty good especially when you consider the length of the jumper wire.
The saddles' specs sounds great Danny. Any news on RRP? Very keen to get my hands on these soon!
Old 07-22-2008, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I've been lucky enough to get to test the sample saddle lipo from SMC. I think everyone is going to be very happy with the fit. The pack is a 4900 hard case. It fits with about 4mm clearence from the topdeck of my D4. Has plenty of room front to back on the battery mount post. It's wired just like their brick packs. The jumper is hardwired into the case which I really like. Its going to be the real deal.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

Thank you god/Danny.If this saddle fits the D4 like you say,it will fit anything basically without crazy modifications.You know how hard it has been to resist buying the C3P0 saddle pack because the smc is not available?I need batteries and I was gonna go slumming and buy a pack a lesser quality.Thank you SMC!
Old 07-22-2008, 09:16 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by racenut123
Thank you god/Danny.If this saddle fits the D4 like you say,it will fit anything basically without crazy modifications.You know how hard it has been to resist buying the C3P0 saddle pack because the smc is not available?I need batteries and I was gonna go slumming and buy a pack a lesser quality.Thank you SMC!
You sadi slumming.....You can be the new Mango banana....ha ha ha
Old 07-22-2008, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

How do you true the comm with an xacto blade on a brushless motor?

Originally Posted by STLNLST
You sadi slumming.....You can be the new Mango banana....ha ha ha
Old 07-22-2008, 09:40 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Still Bill
Hi Danny,

Will the new SMC 5000 packs with the wires coming out of the top be available in time for the IIC? Thanks.

Bill

We hope to have them in around the time of the IIC so there is a chance we will have them at this race.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:43 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by riccardo
for Danny : who sell SMC lipo in europe?

many US seller do not ship oversea.
Our Lipos have been way more popular than we had anticipated so we have not been able to send them overseas yet as we have many backorders here in North America. I would try Stormer Hobbies as I believe he can ship Internationally. We hope to be get ahead of orders by the middle of August so we will then send some to Europe.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:47 AM
Company Representative

I'm glad that we finally have the saddle pack figured out. It took us two tries to get it right but were happy that it will fit all offroad cars with no grinding required. We decided to use the 4900 and our supplier tells us that the cells actually test out at 25C. We gave the go ahead on production of the 4900s so we expect to have them ready in 4 weeks.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I'm glad that we finally have the saddle pack figured out. It took us two tries to get it right but were happy that it will fit all offroad cars with no grinding required. We decided to use the 4900 and our supplier tells us that the cells actually test out at 25C. We gave the go ahead on production of the 4900s so we expect to have them ready in 4 weeks.
wow...really good news...these will work nice on the new pan cars as well.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (93%+)

Originally Posted by DavidAlford
I've been lucky enough to get to test the sample saddle lipo from SMC. I think everyone is going to be very happy with the fit. The pack is a 4900 hard case. It fits with about 4mm clearence from the topdeck of my D4. Has plenty of room front to back on the battery mount post. It's wired just like their brick packs. The jumper is hardwired into the case which I really like. Its going to be the real deal.
Saddle pack samples are in and I have sent out a pack to a racer to test the fit and wire length. As soon as we know that the fit is o.k. we will go into production. The pack will be rated at 4900/22C and will come with 10 gauge wire to keep the resistance as low as possible. The dimensions are H 25mm x L 67mm x 45mm.

The pack I tested at 35 amps has 515 seconds , 7.34 average voltage and 7.2 IR. I think this is pretty good especially when you consider the length of the jumper wire.
i can't wait to see the production model, as i have been waiting for a saddlepack from a company like smc, orion, trinity, because i do not like the max amp option. is the smc pack flat cased? or does it have "make-shift" cell-bumps?

Last edited by Jake S; 07-23-2008 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:01 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Balance Lipo?

Danny,

I was looking at the Equinox balancer. I have 2 28C 5000 mAhr Lipo, so there's some money involved and they ROCK. I'm thinking a $35 balancer and $20 for the 6A connector is a good idea to protect and lengthen the lipo's life, but have found conflicting info.

http://www.pfmdistribution.com/ their word on balancing:

"Pack balancing is a gimmick perpetuated by companies who make balancers, and by other companies who do not match battery cells within the pack. A properly matched pack will not require balancing, and in fact will mask a failing cell. Balancing is a band aid for companies who lack the proper equipment to do cell matching. All Apogee packs have been cell matched since the day we started..."

It is said to only balance a fully charged lipo? I know you make good packs, any thoughts on their balance beliefs. Thanks!
Old 07-23-2008, 04:34 PM
Company Representative

Our cells are matched by our supplier and they can be used with out balance charging. I think that cells will tend to mature differently and can become out of balance. In my testing balance charging seems to not make much difference but it's the better way of charging Lipos. I tell our racers to balance charge once on awhile to be safe.

If you plan on getting the Equinox no need to get the high power adapters as you can easily modify the stock adpater to become a high power adpater. This is done by taking the outer black and outer red wire and soldering a Deans male connector on these 2 wires. Then you plug the Deans into the power leads of the packs and the remaining three wire on the adapter plug into the balance connector.

For those who plan on using an independent balancer you need to understand that the balancers create resistance which increases the voltage your charger will see. This means your charger will switch from constant current (CC) to constant voltage (CV) earlier which means it will take a longer time to charge your pack. The best way to balance charge is to get a charger with built in balancing or use the T35 voltage sensing leads and attach them as close to the packs power wires as possible.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:56 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by skierick
Danny,

I was looking at the Equinox balancer. I have 2 28C 5000 mAhr Lipo, so there's some money involved and they ROCK. I'm thinking a $35 balancer and $20 for the 6A connector is a good idea to protect and lengthen the lipo's life, but have found conflicting info.

http://www.pfmdistribution.com/ their word on balancing:

"Pack balancing is a gimmick perpetuated by companies who make balancers, and by other companies who do not match battery cells within the pack. A properly matched pack will not require balancing, and in fact will mask a failing cell. Balancing is a band aid for companies who lack the proper equipment to do cell matching. All Apogee packs have been cell matched since the day we started..."

It is said to only balance a fully charged lipo? I know you make good packs, any thoughts on their balance beliefs. Thanks!
PM Danny for a better understanding on how to do this modification if you don't understand. It works and he saved me the money of going out to buy the adapter that wasn't really needed.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:20 PM
Tech Addict

I just brought 4000 pack. I'm interested to know what are the spec number for SMC 5000 pack. Can some one tell me thanks
Old 07-23-2008, 11:05 PM
Company Representative

Typically our 5000 has 100 seconds more runtime with 1 to 1.5 lower IR and .06 or so more voltage at 35 amps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.