Wiki Posts
Search

SMC 28C 4000/5000 Hardcase Lipo part 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
The only TC the 5K pack will fit is the TC5 that I am aware of. It wont fit under the top deck of others. I have mine in my Xray and the way its setup it allows you to put all the weight where it needs to be...Towards the inside of the battery...Not the outside. That is the worst way to add weight when running a lipo.

The SMC packs only come with very heavy 12 guage wire and deans connectors. There is to much performance loss using a PC type system and corally connectors.

EA
I am kind of confused about the weight placement here. I am not understanding why putting the weight on the outside of the battery is not good. I will explain my reasoning for doing so, then I guess you can tell me where I went wrong.

I weighed everything that is on the electronic side of the car, then I subtracted the battery weight from that. Then I manufactured a brace for exactly that difference and put in on the car where it would balance the car from side to side. It ended up being off the side of the car about an 1". Now the car has the same amount of weight on each side of the car, and since it balances from side to side, that means that the cog on each side of the car is the same distance from the center. So I am confused why this is bad for car setup. This is the same process I use when balancing my helicopter blades and it has never failed. Also my car is only 15 grams overweight, and perfectly balanced.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default re

hi just want to ask if you need to balance these 5000 and 4000 smc lipo everytime you charge them? i'm about to get this 5000 smc lipo and i'm worried that my lipo balancer (trackpower) wont be able to balance the smc lipo because of the plugs. ( it balanced my orion 4800 and 3600). thanks
Old 05-28-2008, 10:51 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trilerian
I am kind of confused about the weight placement here. I am not understanding why putting the weight on the outside of the battery is not good. I will explain my reasoning for doing so, then I guess you can tell me where I went wrong.

I weighed everything that is on the electronic side of the car, then I subtracted the battery weight from that. Then I manufactured a brace for exactly that difference and put in on the car where it would balance the car from side to side. It ended up being off the side of the car about an 1". Now the car has the same amount of weight on each side of the car, and since it balances from side to side, that means that the cog on each side of the car is the same distance from the center. So I am confused why this is bad for car setup. This is the same process I use when balancing my helicopter blades and it has never failed. Also my car is only 15 grams overweight, and perfectly balanced.
The reason I say it is a bad method is your putting all the weight farther out than it was before. The nimh pack is spread evenly front to back and centered in the battery slots. By putting all that to the outside it "should" throw the weight off as its not centered in the slots any longer or front to back.

When I put all the leaded needed to make the car legal weight on the outside of the battery and checked the balance it was WAY off and way to heavy on the battery side. When I moved the weight to the middle of the car it was almost perfect but still heavy on the battery side. I moved about 2 ounces to the electronics side and it was perfect. I guess a lot of it will depend on electronics and such too. But everyone's car I checked that had all the weight to the battery side was way to heavy on that side.

What type of car are you running?

EA
Old 05-28-2008, 11:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Since your car is balanced it's not a problem. The car does not have to have the same amount of weight on both sides...it just needs to be balanced. I think in your instance it is a coincidence the that equal weight on both sides meant a balanced car. Balance has to do with not how much weight on both sides but where the weight is placed. For example, if you mounted 2 ounces on one side the car and put 4 ounces on the other, you can get the car to balance depending on where the weight is placed.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:11 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by STLNLST
I ran in at ambient temperature. I didn't want to warm the pack in fear of it losing a little life. Will heating them up shorten the life of the pack? Art kept telling me to heat it up but I didn't listen.

Popular is an under statement.....these packs came in at Speedworld and were gone in 5min. I had to wait for the 2nd shipment to get some packs. I'm glad to see that business is doing well. I have my two packs for now so I should be fine for quite some time.

I don't think heating them up will hurt the life expectancy of the pack if you warm them up to 120 - 140 farenheit. I have not tested all the possible temperatures to see which is best but so far most have been using 120-140 with good results. One racer who has 100 cycles on his packs and has been warming them tells me they are still like new.

You don't need to heat them up in mod as the they should be very fast in mod and in fact I suspect you will need to drop a few teeth as your motor will most likely get to hot. Someone told me that he used a 3.5 and had to gear down as the motor was getting to hot and his friend used our 5000 with a 5.5 and geared it so the motor got up to the maximum temp and his car was very fast.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:20 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by Daddy
Hi Danny/SMC,
Are your LiPo packs encased in hard resin within the outer hard case? Like the velocity racing packs.

Our packs come in a plastic case without the hard resin.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:23 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by TomB
does the SMC 5000mah 28C fit the cyclone moorespeed edition, and if so, where can i buy the packs from with a recommended balancer?

also final question, does the SMC lipo come with a corraly plug style conenction? i'm not too much of a fan of the deans type, it looks messy on the car.

cheers
Our packs are not made to look pretty and clean they are high performance packs for the racer who is looking for the best average voltage and lowest IR. The 5000 has pretty much the maximum ROAR size which allows us to put get the lowest possible IR and highest possible voltage and capacity. The 4000 has good IR and good average voltage and is smaller thus fits in all the cars.

If looks over speed counts then there are many pretty looking packs on the market for those who want the inside of the cars to look good.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:25 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by jag88
Danny, is there a chemistry change between the 5000/22c and the 5000/28c or are the copper tabs just thicker with heavier gauge wire ?
Thanks.
Sorry I'm not a Lipo engineer so I don't know what has changed. All I know is that the IR and voltage is better and that the pack stays cooler under discahrge.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jag88
Danny, is there a chemistry change between the 5000/22c and the 5000/28c or are the copper tabs just thicker with heavier gauge wire ?
Thanks.
Danny I'm thinking you may have missed my question.
Thanks.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
Sorry I'm not a Lipo engineer so I don't know what has changed. All I know is that the IR and voltage is better and that the pack stays cooler under discahrge.
Sorry, you must have been typing when I was typing.
Thanks.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:49 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by bmmer701
hi just want to ask if you need to balance these 5000 and 4000 smc lipo everytime you charge them? i'm about to get this 5000 smc lipo and i'm worried that my lipo balancer (trackpower) wont be able to balance the smc lipo because of the plugs. ( it balanced my orion 4800 and 3600). thanks
Unfortunately when it comes to balancing there is no standard connectors so there is different connectors and methods used.

Balancing isn't a must with our packs but balancing in theory is good for the packs.

I reccomend you get the following adapter from Common Sense RC http://www.commonsenserc.com/product...roducts_id=278

You can then solder this connector to the 3 small wires on your Trakpower balancer. The outer red wire on the connector from Common Sense needs to be hooked up to the red wire that hooks up to the positive wire big wire on your balancer. The outer black wire on the connector needs to be hooked up to the negative wire hooked up on the Negative big wire of your balancer and the middle red wire needs to hook up to the small wire of your balancer that is attached to the 2mm bullet connector.

If you need anymore info about this let me know I will be glad to help.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie
Since your car is balanced it's not a problem. The car does not have to have the same amount of weight on both sides...it just needs to be balanced. I think in your instance it is a coincidence the that equal weight on both sides meant a balanced car. Balance has to do with not how much weight on both sides but where the weight is placed. For example, if you mounted 2 ounces on one side the car and put 4 ounces on the other, you can get the car to balance depending on where the weight is placed.
Actually it is not a coincidence that it has the same weight on both sides of the car. It was purposefully done that way. Basically instead of adding a ton of weight to the center of the car to balance it from side to side, I added less weight off the side of the car to balance it from side to side. Since the weight is the same on each side of the car, and it balances, that means that the center of gravity is the same distance from the center on each side of the car, so the cornering forces will be the same on each side of the car while cornering. The funny thing is, when I ran nimh cells, I still had to add weight to the battery side to make the car balance because the placement of the cells, which in turn made that side of the car much heavier than the other. Now I got equal weight and balance, and don't quite see why it could be wrong.

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
What type of car are you running?
I am running a T2'007. And I have not added enough weight to make it equal to a nimh cell, I have only added about 90 grams to a smc 4000.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

I am running a T2'007. And I have not added enough weight to make it equal to a nimh cell, I have only added about 90 grams to a smc 4000.
On my '008 I only had to add 84 grams to the SMC4000, 63 grams along the entire length of the battery, then an additional 21 grams at the end of the battery on top of the other weights. This balanced the '008's weight front/rear the best.

And I agree that weight on the outside of the battery is better than on the inside since less will be required to balance the car.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

[QUOTE=trilerian;4486844]that means that the center of gravity is the same distance from the center on each side of the car, so the cornering forces will be the same on each side of the car while cornering. [QUOTE]

That's a good thing. I guess I meant to say that you can't always get that with some cars. It depends on the car and equipment and you have to just get be happy with being balanced. What you have is ideal. Nothing wrong with that
Old 05-28-2008, 01:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Danny,
Since most of the racing is still 5min what should be a good Average Voltage be for a LiPO during a 360sec discharge? Don't forget to mention the discharge amps for that aveage votlage.

Then how does that compare to a good 4600pack discharged for 360secs at the same amperage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.