Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SMC 28C 4000/5000 Hardcase Lipo part 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 08:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Not everyone ! Ive had people ask me for suggestions on what to do and witch pack fits properly. Dave Johnson himself asked to use my packs to if they would fit in his losi and they wouldnt fit without modifying the chassis. So go figure! Im a hands on kinda guy. I know what I see. And Im not into forcing something thats not right either. Not only that but I care to keep nice stuff and keep it nice. I look for functionality and fit as much as anything else. Asthetics man! If it aint tight it aint right but if it dont fit dont force it! Damageing wires or causing undue stress isnt part of my plan. Do what you may. I dont have to try to interject . I merelt state some things that others , besides you , may concider. Like I said ,the cells are fast. But the first time the tepe wouldnt hold them in place it was adios muchachos. Longevity is a huge factor in my book. Sure seems funny to me a sponsored driver that races here chose to not use them.. for fitment or otherwise. Others do and thats their choice. For one I dont care for the Dean's Connector. But there again lies asthetics man.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:00 AM
Tech Master

This is a public forum. For everyone ! Even me. It is here for all of us to express our opinions weather you like it or not. What are you trying to do , revolk my freedom of speach ammendment? You are as unamerican as our incumbent!
Old 11-21-2008, 09:17 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

There is a reason why we don't use bumps on our packs. The reason is that it would sacrifice capacity or C rate as the bumps would mean we would have to make smaller cells as there is a maximum height for the case to be ROAR legal. Our packs are for racing and in racing it's all about performance. For those who want nice looking packs with bumps there are plenty of them out on the market.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
isnt the servo right there ?
or the speedo if u rotate it ?
Ill stick to my orion packs. I like the connectivity and balence port way more .
and didnt you have to care some of the chassis to get it under there ? thats something else i wouldnt like to have to do. Dont make it a project .. asthetics are a lot to me.
What car are you talking about? The servo is in the front on a type-r, speedo or reciever clear beacuse the wires come out right next to the stand off for the top deck, there is a gap they fit in between. A 5000mah pack is too tall for the bulkheads and requires dremeling. I widen my rear pulleys to clear the 4000, it's only a hair and its not required, you could shave an tiny bit off the pack if you wanted. You're not likely to even find the side exit wiring packs anymore so I don't see why you care so much.

SMC's have the best voltage, who cares about asethics, they don't win races, build a drift car if that's what you want.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:47 AM
Tech Master

And those are the ones in my race car..
They have a higher c rating and have bumps...
Old 11-21-2008, 10:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If your refering to the 3800 30C it doesnt have more punch then a SMC pack. Sorry bro
Old 11-21-2008, 12:49 PM
Tech Master

LOL once again.. no one is listening . figures
funny ive been racing ppl with the smc 5000 against my orion 3800 and guess what?
THERES NO DISERNIBLE DIFFERENCE
none what-so-ever
so maybe the "c" rating is just bull.
That # represents a calculated figure like internal resistance.
Now someones gonna tell me that they can tell the difference between a 28 and a 30. All things considered , like punch profile on an ESC or the set up of the car i.e. gear ratio. Sounds to me like some ploy to get ppl to buy the newer 35 and soon to be 40 blahblahblah......
yes they are fast... like so many others.
I had an argument a while ago about the connectors and no one listened then either.
I do in fact have a clue .. a few of them actually .. apparently the game is a foot and my task at hand is to prove it , on the race track. Fact is most of you have no idea who I am. Doesn't really matter.
Less is more and slower is faster...
Old 11-21-2008, 12:55 PM
Tech Adept

Hi,

On a Turbo 35 GFX, one can see that the average voltage is lower on a 5000mah lipo than a 4600 nimh, although the IR of the lipo is lower, which pack is going to be the fastest on the track?
Old 11-21-2008, 12:55 PM
Company Representative

C rate is not a calculation it's actually measured by discharging a cell/pack to see when it drops below 90%. You can see the graph below that shows C rate testing.

On another note if your happy with your Orion packs performance and you like there case and connectors why are you on this thread telling us our packs should be different just keep using Orion or any other Lipo that you feel is right for you.
Attached Thumbnails SMC 28C 4000/5000 Hardcase Lipo part 2-4000mah-graph.jpg  

Last edited by Danny/SMC; 11-21-2008 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:00 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by MoonTrap
Hi,

On a Turbo 35 GFX, one can see that the average voltage is lower on a 5000mah lipo than a 4600 nimh, although the IR of the lipo is lower, which pack is going to be the fastest on the track?
The Lipo is as fast on the track if not faster due to the lower IR which means under higher loads the voltage won't drop as much. In a test I did the voltage only dropped .10 of a volt from a 22 amps discharge to a 40 amp discharge. This is a small drop and a sub-c pack would drop more but not sure how much but I know it's more. Another thing that Lipos do is that the IR stays very close to the same throughout the discharge curve but sub-c cells will have an increase in IR as it discharges. I know our drivers now use Lipos and they have tested both and prefer Lipos.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

All i know is smc puts out a great product and has great customer service
Old 11-21-2008, 04:27 PM
Tech Addict

Danny,
can the older 5000 lipo case be replaced ?
Old 11-21-2008, 04:30 PM
Company Representative

No they can't as they are glued together and the cells are stuck to the case so it's very hard to take the case apart and there is a chance of damaging the cells.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
isnt the servo right there ?
or the speedo if u rotate it ?
Ill stick to my orion packs. I like the connectivity and balence port way more .
and didnt you have to care some of the chassis to get it under there ? thats something else i wouldnt like to have to do. Dont make it a project .. asthetics are a lot to me.
Good, Take it over too the Orion board and break out your tissue over there!!
Old 11-22-2008, 05:22 PM
Tech Regular

Danny - I just got two top wire exit Traxxas Connector 5000 SMCs and noticed the number on the back are much lower than the side wire exit ones.

My side wire exit one has
7.47 ave. voltage
4.0 int. resistance
~5200 mah

My new TRA conn. top wire exit ones both have
7.37 ave. voltage
7.0 int. resistance
~5000 mah

The numbers were low like this when you guys didn't measure directly from the power leads, and then when you did, they were much higher. Did you guys go back to not measuring it directly from the power leads? Or is it just like that because they have Traxxas connectors?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.