Search

SMC 28C 4000/5000 Hardcase Lipo part 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 02:07 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trailranger
Danny,
Since most of the racing is still 5min what should be a good Average Voltage be for a LiPO during a 360sec discharge? Don't forget to mention the discharge amps for that aveage votlage.

Then how does that compare to a good 4600pack discharged for 360secs at the same amperage.

Not all Lipos are the same. The average voltage of a Lipo depends on the Lipos capacity (size) , C rate and materials used. I don't have the average voltage at 360 seconds for a Lipo versus a NiMh pack and I don't think they can be compared by average voltage alone as the Lipo has lower IR than sub-c cells which should have an impact on performance.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:19 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trilerian
Actually it is not a coincidence that it has the same weight on both sides of the car. It was purposefully done that way. Basically instead of adding a ton of weight to the center of the car to balance it from side to side, I added less weight off the side of the car to balance it from side to side. Since the weight is the same on each side of the car, and it balances, that means that the center of gravity is the same distance from the center on each side of the car, so the cornering forces will be the same on each side of the car while cornering. The funny thing is, when I ran nimh cells, I still had to add weight to the battery side to make the car balance because the placement of the cells, which in turn made that side of the car much heavier than the other. Now I got equal weight and balance, and don't quite see why it could be wrong.

I am running a T2'007. And I have not added enough weight to make it equal to a nimh cell, I have only added about 90 grams to a smc 4000.

There may be the difference. If you have only added 90 grams to the car then I dont think it is up to Roar weight rules. My scenario was for making a car weigh 50 or 51 ozs for Roar weight.

EA
Old 05-28-2008, 02:21 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kn7671
On my '008 I only had to add 84 grams to the SMC4000, 63 grams along the entire length of the battery, then an additional 21 grams at the end of the battery on top of the other weights. This balanced the '008's weight front/rear the best.

And I agree that weight on the outside of the battery is better than on the inside since less will be required to balance the car.
Is your car at Roar weight? I doubt it with only adding 84 grams. I had to add a LOT more than that. Again what I posted was for cars at Roar min weight for racing. 1525 grams for Rubber.

I'll look to see what I added and where to get mine (008) to balance for Roar weight.

EA
Old 05-28-2008, 03:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
There may be the difference. If you have only added 90 grams to the car then I dont think it is up to Roar weight rules. My scenario was for making a car weigh 50 or 51 ozs for Roar weight.

EA
As I said in my first post, it is 15 grams overweight. I also don't run lightweight bodies. My thinking was that as long as the cog were equal on both sides of the car and balanced right, then this would be the optimal solution. As I wrote earlier, it is the same thing I do to my helicopter blades. So far I have seen no adverse effects from doing it this way.

Danny, how are the saddle packs coming?
Old 05-28-2008, 03:24 PM
Company Representative

Were waiting on the casing to be finished then we will get a prototype and if all is o.k. production will start. We had a comunication error with the guy who does the mold of the casing which created a small delay. The good news is that the packs should fit in all cars.

As soon as I have a picture I will post it.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Is your car at Roar weight? I doubt it with only adding 84 grams. I had to add a LOT more than that. Again what I posted was for cars at Roar min weight for racing. 1525 grams for Rubber.

I'll look to see what I added and where to get mine (008) to balance for Roar weight.

EA
Eric, you have a pm.

Ronnie
Old 05-28-2008, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

The only TC the 5K pack will fit is the TC5 that I am aware of. It wont fit under the top deck of others. I have mine in my Xray and the way its setup it allows you to put all the weight where it needs to be...Towards the inside of the battery...Not the outside. That is the worst way to add weight when running a lipo.

The SMC packs only come with very heavy 12 guage wire and deans connectors. There is to much performance loss using a PC type system and corally connectors.

EA
Not quite, Eric, the TRF 416 is also an easy fit(no mods). That's what I ran all weekend long at the Memphis TCS(& loved every minute it ran, just gotta stop hitting those pipes)....
Old 05-28-2008, 05:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
Unfortunately when it comes to balancing there is no standard connectors so there is different connectors and methods used.

Balancing isn't a must with our packs but balancing in theory is good for the packs.

I reccomend you get the following adapter from Common Sense RC http://www.commonsenserc.com/product...roducts_id=278

You can then solder this connector to the 3 small wires on your Trakpower balancer. The outer red wire on the connector from Common Sense needs to be hooked up to the red wire that hooks up to the positive wire big wire on your balancer. The outer black wire on the connector needs to be hooked up to the negative wire hooked up on the Negative big wire of your balancer and the middle red wire needs to hook up to the small wire of your balancer that is attached to the 2mm bullet connector.

If you need anymore info about this let me know I will be glad to help.
thanks will let you know

Were waiting on the casing to be finished then we will get a prototype and if all is o.k. production will start. We had a comunication error with the guy who does the mold of the casing which created a small delay. The good news is that the packs should fit in all cars.

As soon as I have a picture I will post it.
new casing for the 5000mah smc lipo? in addition, will there be any updated or newer version smc lipo packs? reason being when i bought my orion 3600 a few days later orion will release new batches of lipo 3800... etc lipo packs thanks again
Old 05-28-2008, 05:18 PM
Company Representative

I was talking about our saddle pack casing not the our current 5000. It will pretty much stay the same with the only possible change being wires coming out on top but were still trying to figure that out.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:49 PM
Tech Addict

I was talking about our saddle pack casing not the our current 5000. It will pretty much stay the same with the only possible change being wires coming out on top but were still trying to figure that out.

Danny, thanks for the LiPo you sent me at the Reedy. It's the first time I ever ran LiPo and it rocked!
Old 05-28-2008, 09:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Danny, just had a question about a adapter plug for a checkpoint balancer to your balance plug on the 4000 pack. Is there any benefit to using a plug that also utilizes the Deans plug and the balance plug? Thanks AJ
Old 05-29-2008, 06:06 AM
Tech Regular

Hi does anyone use Hyperion LiPo chargers? What do you think of them?
Old 05-29-2008, 09:32 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by AdamD
Danny, just had a question about a adapter plug for a checkpoint balancer to your balance plug on the 4000 pack. Is there any benefit to using a plug that also utilizes the Deans plug and the balance plug? Thanks AJ
You can buy the high power adapter which will allow you to charge at 5 to 6 amps when using the balancer. If you don't want to buy the extra harness you can modify the regular harness by cutting the outside red wire and the outside black wire where they go into the circuit board and putting the plug of choice. You then plug these 2 wires into the big leads of your Lipo and the remaining three wires into the balance connector. You will then be able to use it in Link mode and it should be more efficient and a 5 to 6 amp charge can be used.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Daddy
I have one and love it. Very easy to use and I like the built in balancer.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Daddy
I've got the Hyperion EOS0610I that has the integrated balancer and I like it. I think it charges the SMC lipos faster than the ICE/Checkpoint because it seems to spend less time in the constant voltage phase at the end of the charge cycle. I don't really understand why that would be except that maybe the integrated balancer gives the charger better info on cell voltage. Also, it seems to charge up to 4.21V, not just 4.20V (at least accpoding to its own voltage readings).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.