R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-14-2008, 11:39 AM   #46
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by ChefJayPeek View Post
Then again, think about it this way... What do you pay to have done that you could do yourself? When the computer you read this on breaks, do you diagnose the problem down to the individual part and repair it, or do you take it to a shop? What about your car (1:1), DVD player, AC, faucet, roof, etc?

Do you cook your own food from scratch, or do you use pre packaged stuff, or eat out for everything?

Instead of watching a movie or listening to a CD do you film your own, or play an instrument?

For everything said here, there are correlations that are not RC that I am sure someone in that field would say "Why don't they just do that themselves?"

That said, I've been involved in this hobby off and on for 25 years, and I always enjoyed wrenching on my own cars, of course I enjoy driving it more
I diagnose and fix my computer my self...I built it myself.
I fix my own car when I can.
When ever my electronics break I try fixing it myself first (and often do).
Never had a faucet break, but if it did it would mean a trip to home depo.
I don't cook much because food is not a hobby, but everyone I know that is a foody also cooks most thing from scratch.
I like music so I learned to play an instrument, but I wasn't particularly good or creative and couldn't make anything as enjoyable to listen to as a professional (or anything enjoyable to listen to for that matter :P )

"For everything said here, there are correlations that are not RC that I am sure someone in that field would say 'Why don't they just do that themselves?'" While this is true it doesn't apply to the situation very well.
We are talking about people who ARE in the rc "field" you compair why we are not DIY when it comes to things that are not are hobbies...This is not analogous to us wondering why people don't deal with aspects of their own hobby that are not beyond there skill.

So many compare it to race drivers, drivers who don't own there own car. Point me out a professional race team that has a 3rd party come in and do the work and I'll be more on your side. If you are not the car owner, only the driver of you RC car I don't expect that you do much work on it...But in all forms of motor sports the team running the car is responsible for its upkeep, at the amature level your a 1 man team. The comparison to maintaining an actual car does not count. If a real car was as easy I would be making fun of all car enthusiasts who didn't do there own work.
Red coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:30 PM   #47
Tech Regular
Default W.R.A.M. Show 2008

-for what it's worth , I've been attending this 'show' since 2004 and I've gotten the chance to speek to the vendors from as far as Canada and even though they are "pushin' their products", they'll take the time to talk about their companies past (which definitely impresses me each year ). As long as I can attend this annual event my pride will grow simply because I was able to learn more about the hobby. This might not put me I the A-main but I am realizing the fun part of the hobby is 1. I have a "local" hobby shop to run to when I break; 2. I have that pleasure of having some background info. about a part of the industry.There's probably more to it than that but this may be too long winded as it is-Greg
oreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:25 PM   #48
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to eds24 Send a message via Yahoo to eds24

Hmmm this is a interesting topic.Since the thread was started with my generation in mind. I thought I might give my opinion like many others have. First lets start with my backround..

I am a 15 year old kid. Been in the hobby for 3 or 4 years. I have always LOVED taking things apart and tinkering with them trying to rebuild them into something different or cooler. Lego's where my favorite past time. I use to play with them everyday.I then became interested in Battlebots and soon saved up for a whole year to get lego mindstorms. Soon after, I slowly lost interest in them. Not becuase I was too lazy to build with them they just didn't appeal to what I wanted.I wanted more speed.

So I got into R/C I started out as Noob and I didn't have much pride for my first car. I used to take it apart , loose screws, ghetto fix it and it ended up as a pile of parts. I sold it and got another car.I took alittle bit better care for the car. But I was still frying escs,chargers,motors,etc I got into a vicous cycle of I would buy a car play with it for a week break it, not have enough money to fix it and then sell it. I needed abetter and cheaper way to be involved in the hobby. I wanted to race but with no transportation, parents who don't support my hobby, and lack of money I couldn't. So then I decided well when I run a car it only lasts a week or two before I break it. If I where to build a car it would take along time to build and save up for parts and it would keep me occupied for along period of time. I decided to build a car from scratch. Design, Machine, And build it. In 8th grade I was in a Tech Ed class which I couldn't wait until middle school just for that class and the teacher was awesome so he let me stay after school to use the drill presses,band saws,scroll saws etc. I am 2 years into the project and have made a prototype. Still occupied and still in love with the project and R/C.I have become much much patient with R/C and have much more pride in this car that I have built. I plan to earn a mechanical engineering degree in college.

My out look on this is yes there are kids and teens that still have mechanical and electrical interests and talents. But there are very few and even fewer in the hobby. I go to school and sometimes am afraid to admit that my hobby and passion is R/C cars purely becuase your opening yourself up to all the rude comments that people make about the hobby and sometimes you get made fun of becuase they think you are a geek. I see many many students taking wood classes,engineering classes,auto classes,etc. I do believe there are people that are interested in this type of stuff.

To be more on topic about having pride in your car and stuff. I don't think anyone or anyting is to blame for a anyone not wanting work on there car. Its all about there interests.Yea we may look down apon them . But atleast they are in the hobby for now. I have a ps2 and I rarely use it anymore. I am just not interested in it. Yea some people are more interested in video games than others. More are interested in working on there cars than others. If your the type of person who wants to just drive the r/c car and isn't willing to fix it than you might be happier with a radio.I don't believe this is your type of hobby. Part of it is taking care of your car and working on it. So people who buy RTR's and break them and don't want to fix them there selves probaly aren't ment to be in the hobby in the first place.But I don't really care what others do with there cars. Heck if I had the money I would have someone do the messy stuff like rebuild the shocks,rebuild motors,and build diffs for me haha.

I just don't think it has to do with the generation or xbox's.I think it has to do with the specific type of person it takes to be a true R/C hobbyist along with that is a good amount of money which many kids or teens don't have.I know plunty of kids who want to get into the hobby but don't have the money.

We are a rare breed guys remeber that.

Last edited by eds24; 02-14-2008 at 09:25 PM.
eds24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:59 PM   #49
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

From reading the posts, sounds like if you are into R/C cars, you probably loved Legos growing up, myself included.

I also enjoy the stories of the hobby shop employees. Hard to believe what some people will pay for, but if it gets them on participating on the track, all the better.
Ol' Dirty weBer
Weber Motorsports and The HobbyPLEX - For the Children!
ODB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:25 PM   #50
Tech Master

If you have problems putting together an entry level tamiya kit, you've got a harsh road ahead. Tamiya makes the best instruction manuals in the industry. I suggest reading it before operating a RTR from them. Or any manufacturer as a matter of fact.

Any hobby or sport requires a minimum amount of understanding. It all depends on how far you want to take it before you get off the red carpet.

In your guys opinion, what is the minimum understanding that you should have of RC?
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:39 PM   #51
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to iixliltonyx33

I am 16 years old i started with kit Tamiya's when i was about 13 my first real rc car was a TL-01 i bought it as a kit and build it from scratch but when it came to installing electronics i didn't know what soldering was so i just cut the wires a twisted the ends togheter and electrical taped it i fried all my electronics and shorted everything out from than on i strated learning about how to solder , shorten wires and fix things. I love fixing cars and anytime someone new at the track needs help i tell them what to get and i show them what to do for free most of them actually watch and becomes more interested some just never show up again to race or practice. I think Rtr are good for the beginners cause they are cheap but the next car they buy should be a kit.

I work at a hobby store part time and most of the people that come in buy rtr's we had 5 tc5s from when they first came out we still have 4 left and sold one to a racer this shows not many people are into building something and racing it and setting it up but on the other hand we sell 10 or more traxxis ready to runs a day. And most of the people who buy these rtr we never see again its sad what this hobby has become.

Team Driver for TNT Racing and Scuba Steve Graphixs

360 rc speedway and hobbies, Willis Hobbies
iixliltonyx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:16 PM   #52
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

We are different people with different needs and wants, even priorities.
Just accept that we are not programmed the same.
Airflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:32 AM   #53
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I got to post a reply to this. I am 30 years old, I have been in the hobby for a little over 3 years. First rc car other than the corded versions I had as a kid, was a tamiya stadium blitzer. And that wasn't even mine, it was bought for my girlfriend at the time (soon to be married now, some day) as a Christmas present. One of her ex's had rc cars and would never let her touch it, and she said she really wanted one of her own. I didn't care, I was pretty much of the opinion of, you want an rc car, okay, I'll get you one. Anyways, it took about 3 hours of driving around before I found a hobby shop. I go inside and start looking and my jaw drops at the prices of the things, but she wants one, and she wants one that she can put together. So I talk to the csr's and end up spending about $250 on the kit, tx/rx, batteries and charger. I give it to her on Christmas and she loved it. She opens it up, I am a little curious, and I see all these parts on parts trees. Now as a kid a built models and yes played with Lego (actually still do that), and all I could think was, you are going to let me put that together, right? After a little discussion she accepted defeat, and off I was to put together this rc car I had no interest in. 3 months later I bought an RC10T4 for myself. That summer my father (another story on getting into these cars) and I built an off-road rc track.

What is the point of the story? Building that car, which I had no interest in, is what got me hooked on this hobby, so there isn't any way I would let someone else work on my car(s), or heli. But that is me, all in all, I view things as such; if I have to pay someone to do something for me, and that amount is more than I make an hour, I will do it myself. And if I don't know how to do it, I will learn or call in a favor.
trilerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:28 AM   #54
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 109 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to wstuart

for me i dont think the desire to work on my own stuff has ever had anything to do ioth pride. I think its more about practicality. Im really not comfortable with driving my car if i dont know how to fix or get to every part on that car. Ive only been in the hobby a few month, but i now race and bash 10 cars and the one thing ive learned is STUFF ALWAYS BREAKS. I cant think of a single raceday ive had that wouldnt have ended if I didnt know how to fix my own car. I dont know if im necessarily mechanically inclined (i work really slow) but all i know is if i have a choice between getting in my car driving to a hobby shop and asking someone to fix my car, or sitting down and doing it myself i always go with the later.
wstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:31 AM   #55
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HotrodHopkins

i'll leave my two cents in on this one.

I'm a 16 year old male. And yeah i do see where a lot of you are coming from with the fact that we don't want to learn how to fix our own stuff. But there are a few people like me, who can do this sort of stuff. I have also been a mechanic for a couple of years now. Even though i'm young i've shown up and out worked verteran technicians at places like Toyota and GM and Subaru. So while there are still many kids that DON"T know how to work on something as simple as their r/c cars, it's because they havn't had the motivation to. His dad probobly said "lets take it on down to the hobbyshop and have them take a look at it", instead of saying "well figure out whats wrong with it, take that part of and then we'll go get a new one". There are the few of us though who are mechanically inclined .

BTW, now days $30 and hour is less than half of what most shops charge an hour's labor .

-Shaun 'Hot Rod' Hopkins
SHAUN HOPKINS a.k.a NoRod Hopkins

-1990 Chevrolet K1500 Silverado TBI350 "Heavy Half". 1971 Chevrolet Nova

-My lug nuts require more Torque than your Honda makes.
HotrodHopkins is offline   Reply With Quote