Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Pro Trak Vs CE Turbo GFX >

Pro Trak Vs CE Turbo GFX

Pro Trak Vs CE Turbo GFX

Old 06-28-2003, 09:17 PM
Tech Adept

Lightbulb Pro Trak Vs CE Turbo GFX

Deciding on either of the above...Can some experts please advise...
Old 06-29-2003, 02:50 AM
Tech Addict

I have the Pro-trak and can certainly recommend it, if it's features you're looking for you cant go wrong. You can check your pack's matching by monitoring each cell in a pack individually, something you cant do with the GFX. There is now windows S/W available as well which looks really neat, haven't tried it though.

The Protrak only discharges at 20A, enough for me, and it can give calculated 30A figures as well.

Phil at Protrak is a very friendly and knowledgeable bloke their service is first class. The unit is easily upgradeable when new versions come out as well.

The one thing with the CE is it is the standard for cell matching, but I don't think i could be bothered when you would have to do this one cell at a time, plus you have 35A discharge if you need it.
Old 06-29-2003, 09:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Stick with the best.... Competition Electronics all the way!!!
Old 06-29-2003, 09:45 AM
Tech Regular

You are trying to compare apples and oranges.

GFX is a oscilliscope with a charger & discharger thrown in for good measure.

The Pro Trak is a damn good charger & discharger.
Old 06-29-2003, 04:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Thumbs up ...

Both are very good but I`ll have to stick with my GFX

-Dave
Old 06-29-2003, 04:13 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by IMPACTPLAYR
Stick with the best.... Competition Electronics all the way!!!
Don't think it's quite that cut and dry

* The pro-trak has way more features than the GFX
* Surikarn used one when he won the worlds
* pro-trak is cheaper
* pro-trak can graph each cell in a pack, the GFX graphs the whole pack wgich is just a gimmick

both will charge your cells as well as each other
the GFX IMO looks better
Old 06-29-2003, 04:24 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by JohnA
Don't think it's quite that cut and dry

* The pro-trak has way more features than the GFX
* Surikarn used one when he won the worlds
* pro-trak is cheaper
* pro-trak can graph each cell in a pack, the GFX graphs the whole pack wgich is just a gimmick

both will charge your cells as well as each other
the GFX IMO looks better
True very true ...but if we are going off of looks then the Pro trak looks like a Commador 64 ( really old computer) and the GFX looks like a X-Box j/k

-Dave
Old 06-29-2003, 04:28 PM
Tech Elite

Ah but the Pro Trak now has blue or purple anodized heatsinks
and you can print your own face plates
but it still looks rather, erm, functional...

Both are great chargers but the biggest difference is the single cell monitering the pro trak offers, why the GFX didn't include it is beyond me. It's an incredibly useful feature. Plus the Pro Trak is a LOT cheaper for us in the UK, and it's still cheaper in the rest of the world.
Old 06-29-2003, 04:39 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Herminator
Plus the Pro Trak is a LOT cheaper for us in the UK, and it's still cheaper in the rest of the world.
But not in Japan..the GFX and the Pro Trak are at 96000 yen(GFX) and 95000(Pro Trak)

to much dang money for me..so thats why I bough mine in the STates when on vacation

-Dave
Old 06-29-2003, 04:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
But not in Japan..the GFX and the Pro Trak are at 96000 yen(GFX) and 95000(Pro Trak)

to much dang money for me..so thats why I bough mine in the STates when on vacation

-Dave
OMG that can't be the real price of the Pro Trak
Thats twice what it costs here including postage you can buy them direct from Phil, he ships around the world and you'd still be very close to half of that price. I suppose it's like the situation with prices in the UK for almost everything but in reverse for once.
Old 06-29-2003, 07:42 PM
Tom
Tech Regular

Has Phil or pro trak got a web site?
Old 06-29-2003, 07:50 PM
See
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

http://www.pro-trak.co.uk/
Old 06-29-2003, 09:46 PM
dtm
Tech Champion

Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR

-Dave
Dave- They are seriously ripping people off with those chargers in Japan. A friend of mine who does import/export was trying to get some chargers into Japan. Apparently, the distributer price is the about the same in Japan as Hong Kong. The GFX goes for around US$433 here.....go figure!!!!!

As for which is better? well I "had" both...until a week ago...the Protrak has gone to a good home.

The discharge curve on the GFX is really not a gimmick. It allows you to check the voltage of a pack at certain intervals during discharge......it is average discharge voltage that can be misleading at times.

I hope they have sorted the PC windows software on the Protrak. The DOS version use to "stink". Having to use "cut n paste" to get a picture of the graph into Word was a joke......so was the resolution of the graph...near impossible to take an accurate reading of.

However, Phil IS a pretty cool guy........and the GFX display is really not up to scratch.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:29 AM
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

I have used a Pro Trak for some years now.

It went for years without any bother, then I tried discharging a 10 cell pack, without bothering to see if it could be done, and screwed it.

I sent it to Phil. Not only did he repair, but he also updated it all for me, and quickly too. Real service.

I have since met Phil whilst he was racing here in Malta last October. Nice guy, like you all say. He is constantly improving and upgrading Pro Trak.

When I fiddled with something a while ago and messed up all the settings, I phoned him and he directed me through the whole reprogramming procedure on the phone. I doubt many people would bother doing that.

I don't know the other charger, but I have had good service from both Phil Haynes and his Pro Trak so I see no reason to change.

I also use a couple of Novak Millenium Pro's for charging.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 06-30-2003, 07:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

if the protrack would only discharge at 30amps, i'd go for the protrack, as it is now, im leaning towards the GFX...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.