Wiki Posts
Search

Differences Between Protoform190mm Mazda 6 and Speed 6

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 10:59 AM
Tech Adept

Default Differences Between Protoform190mm Mazda 6 and Speed 6

Hey,
I am wondering if anybody has run both these shells and what were the differences on carpet and asphalt??

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

On carpet I prefer the speed 6, it seems to keep the car more balanced. The regular 6 made the car get a little nose heavy.

Also the light weight body made the car feel more stable, a touch less steering but you could drive it harder.

As for the asphalt.....I have not done enough testing back to back to give you an answer.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bryan D
Hey,
I am wondering if anybody has run both these shells and what were the differences on carpet and asphalt??

Thanks in advance.
for asphalt:
on my TC5 using the same set up and tires... the Speed6 has more steering than the Mazda6. it loosens the car up a bit more. With Mazda6.. the car is more stable. Speed6 = more edgy, aggressive. hope that helps.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:51 PM
Tech Adept

Great thanks for the info guys!!
Old 02-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

(indoor)The mazda6 is most of the time and at the most tracks faster then the speed6. I even tested it today:i drove 2 minutes with the mazda6 then i changed quikly to the speed6 and i continued my run,i was about 1a2 thents slower per lap,then the same run ik changed back at the mazda6 and i was back on pace.There is only one of the six indoor tracks i know where the speed6 is faster then a mazda6.
I find that most of the time the mazda drives smoother and has more coner speed then the speed6.
Outdoor i dont know wich one is faster,i ame going to test it this summer.

Grtzz
Old 02-03-2008, 05:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

I may be wrong, but I believe that the Mazda 6 is supposed to be a foam body and the Speed6 was made for rubber.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

yeah your wrong std mazda is more stable than speed 6 the speed tends to have a little more off power steering
Old 02-03-2008, 09:39 AM
Tech Champion

http://prolineracing.com/protoform/index.html

Actually I was right.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:57 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by stiltskin
Sorry, but no. Both mazdas are rubber tire bodies. The mazda speed6 fits in between the mazda6 and stratus 3 handling wise.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr_Orange
Sorry, but no. Both mazdas are rubber tire bodies. The mazda speed6 fits in between the mazda6 and stratus 3 handling wise.
Apparently you didnt read the website, he was right.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stiltskin
I may be wrong, but I believe that the Mazda 6 is supposed to be a foam body and the Speed6 was made for rubber.
Where does it say anywhere on that site that the Mazda 6 was for foam? I looked and did not see it. If it were a foam body why does no one even use it for foam. You see it run on carpet, but with rubber, not foam. The Speed 6 description mentions carpet, but does not mention foam at all. I think you are reading too much into it.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Both bodies work best on rubber tires. They are both relatively high downforce bodies in comparison to the ones we typically run on carpet with foam tires like the Parma Alfa, Mohawk, and Protoform DNA.

But... back to the original question. In my experience, the Mazda 6 is smoother, a little easier to drive. Sometimes with the MazdaSpeed 6 I find it too aggressive, and the back end of the car will step out in the middle of the corner with it... sorta zaps that corner speed sometimes.

Usually really low grip tracks... I run the MazdaSpeed 6 but move the wing back pretty far. Just helps glue the entire car down a little better. For high grip stuff I'll run the normal Mazda 6.

-Korey
Old 02-03-2008, 01:19 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Yeti35
Where does it say anywhere on that site that the Mazda 6 was for foam? I looked and did not see it. If it were a foam body why does no one even use it for foam. You see it run on carpet, but with rubber, not foam. The Speed 6 description mentions carpet, but does not mention foam at all. I think you are reading too much into it.
When I made the original post, I based it on experience not what the website says. When the Mazda 6 came out, it replaced the Dodge Stratus as the body of choice in the U.S. where foam is definitely more popular. I read on the website that the Mazdaspeed 6 was the next generation of rubber tire body and posted it. Now that I read the site , I'll agree that both bodies were made for rubber tires and the Mazdaspeed 6 was the "next generation" rubber tire body. Sorry if I've gotten anyone's panties in a wad.

I haven't driven the Mazda 6 yet, just the DNA2 and the Mazdaspeed. I like the Mazda better.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Korey Harbke
But... back to the original question. In my experience, the Mazda 6 is smoother, a little easier to drive. Sometimes with the MazdaSpeed 6 I find it too aggressive, and the back end of the car will step out in the middle of the corner with it... sorta zaps that corner speed sometimes.
I agree with Korey. The regular 6 is smoother and easier to drive than the speed 6.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:15 AM
Tech Adept

I have had 2 Mazada 6 and I definitely have no complains on my TRF416.

One question though, how do you guys cut the holes on the wings? I find them quite tedious and difficult to make perfect.

Any suggestions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.