Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Should Tekin stop selling the R1 pro >

Should Tekin stop selling the R1 pro

Should Tekin stop selling the R1 pro

Old 02-08-2008, 10:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sabin
So let me get this straight.. Tekin should stop selling their newest ESC because it has trouble with two sensored motors, which could possibly be caused by a bad setup?

Hey maybe you're on to something.. I should hook up a 3 cell lipo to a GT7 and blame Novak for bad engineering when it blows!
I wasn't talking about the motors. If you wanna go with cutting sarcasm like that, then we're gonna have a lot of fun.
They dont make 13.5 or 10.5 motors and it doesnt work well with the ones on the market. What exactly were you talking about then?
Old 02-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by or8ital
They dont make 13.5 or 10.5 motors and it doesnt work well with the ones on the market. What exactly were you talking about then?
How about ALL the other motors ? 10.5 and 13.5 classes are only a part of the market not the whole market.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

When I saw this thread, it reminded me of when I was doing tech support for PC's and the way the users complained about the issues they were having. 50% of the time it was their fault.
That's a different deal entirely.

It's been a known deal for a long time that the "sensorless" ESCs have a hard time driving certain higher-wind motors (the common ones). They don't provide a strong enough signal for the ESC to get the phasing right.

That said, the Tekin guys dragged their heels releasing their 1/10 brushless ESCs to make sure that they WOULD drive the 13.5 and 10.5 motors...and promoted them (still is apparently) as being able to work with all existing sensored motors.

Given that 13.5 and 10.5 sensored motors are the predominant motors out there at this time and there is apparently no suitable high-wind motors...the people that bought the Tekin to run 13.5 or 10.5 class are left with a $200 ESC that is for all intents and purposes...useless.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I always buy orange...
Old 02-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TRF415boy
How about ALL the other motors ? 10.5 and 13.5 classes are only a part of the market not the whole market.
What about them? You mean the 10% of racers that run something other then 10.5, 13.5 and 17.5? It was marketed as being able to run those motors.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sportpak
I always buy orange...
Old 02-08-2008, 12:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

From what I saw, the Tekin System was working in a drit truck. From what I hear it did not work well for 4-cell oval with higher rollouts.

The news I had was that some of the team drivers had their systems recalled and a new release was comming. I see that TowerHobbies has the ESC's in question so I assume the re-releases version had worked out some of the bugs and I can only assume there are more left. Nothing is ever perfect when you add the "user" factor.

So....Team Teakin how much of that is correct?
Old 02-08-2008, 12:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

they've got Team drivers to test this stuff out, right? I thought that was the purpose of Team drivers, test stuff out in racing conditions across a broad spectrum of racing types to make sure the product works correctly. I do have to say it was funny watching an R1 in a 1/12 car go backwards when starting from a stand still
Old 02-08-2008, 12:23 PM
Tech Regular

Back when this all started (brfore the stupid rollouts) they would have had a chance at running these with 4 cells. Now, we're running HUGE rollouts that weren't around back then.

Tekin has admitted that they made a few mistakes in several areas of the R1 rollout. It is what it is.

If every manufacturer stopped selling a product that had problems that weren't found in development we'd have a lot less choices out there. Every single LRP speedo that I've ever run in 12th has had the heatsink plate pop off. Should LRP stop selling those? Should a certain auto manufacturer (not American) stop selling their so called trucks because they're having problems with engines randomly grenading during normal use? Should Novak have stopped selling those crappy silver receivers that never worked out of the box? Should Losi have stopped selling the XX4 when the first production run was busting the chassis and front bulkhead?

I could go on and on with all of this. They ALL promised a top notch product and it ended up falling short for one reason or another.

Yeah, it sucks. You can either contact Tekin if you're having a problem or sell it and move on. A new bash the manufacturer thread won't solve the issue.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Howard
they've got Team drivers to test this stuff out, right? I thought that was the purpose of Team drivers, test stuff out in racing conditions across a broad spectrum of racing types to make sure the product works correctly. I do have to say it was funny watching an R1 in a 1/12 car go backwards when starting from a stand still
TOASTY!!!!
Old 02-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by or8ital
What about them? You mean the 10% of racers that run something other then 10.5, 13.5 and 17.5? It was marketed as being able to run those motors.
You think only 10% of people run anything else than these motors you're sadly mistaken. First the huge majority of the market are the bashers, and they only care about power ! Over here, the vast majority of people with brushless run modified. It might change but that's how it is right now. And this is only TC, there are also a lot of people using B/L in off road and they don't use stock motors...
Old 02-08-2008, 01:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

just remember guys this is not tekin as we remember it. the original founders sold the company, so it is now tekin in name alone. the person who bought it uses it as a hobby, not overly concerned if he gets the product out on time or not. witch in my opinion is a bad attitude, as the end user should be toying around not the manufacturer.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Matt Howard
I remember watching people buying the JRXS and selling them a few weeks later because they were not handling at all on UK tracks. Didn't your team drivers test in all racing conditions to make sure it worked correctly ? I think not. I have a lot of respect for your work and think you have some interesting ideas, but in your position i wouldn't have a go at another company for not having been able to test their product in some racing conditions.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by lignum vitae
just remember guys this is not tekin as we remember it. the original founders sold the company, so it is now tekin in name alone. the person who bought it uses it as a hobby, not overly concerned if he gets the product out on time or not. witch in my opinion is a bad attitude, as the end user should be toying around not the manufacturer.
Jim has put a lot of money and effort in bringing Tekin back to life, I don't think he will apreciate being told that he doesn't care !

As was said earlier, Tekin are looking into the problem. At least they have LISTENED to the racers and will be coming out with a solution. There is nothng wrong with the hardware, so give them a chance to develop the software a bit more.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lignum vitae
the person who bought it uses it as a hobby, not overly concerned if he gets the product out on time or not. witch in my opinion is a bad attitude, as the end user should be toying around not the manufacturer.
The above is based on ignorance of how running a business works. That and spreading rumor and hearsay based on ones own opinion versus fact.

Anyhow, I wanted to buy a Mini Rage, but if any of you are getting rid of your R1's, I'm sure it will fit (and run killer) in my M18T Pro. PM me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.