Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SERPENT 120

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 04:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Thanks alot Trips! I can get the bearings for the tires I have. And from now on I will buy Jaco Prisms for the flanged bearings.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:20 PM
Tech Addict

Are any of you running this car on asphalt? Anything I should know or spare parts I should stock? What is the difference between my S120 and the BMI 1/12 scale? Any pluses or minuses? Just curious because CRC and BMI are mostly what I will be facing this season on our asphalt track. I actually might be the ONLY S120 out there hehe
Old 04-14-2009, 07:47 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by Pete720
Anything I should know or spare parts I should stock?
Spares: Kingpins! The "new" style (uses an allen wrench to screw them into the steering block instead of the supplied wrench) seem to be pretty fragile. They will bend right where the threads end (before the smooth part of the kingpin). You may need to cut about 1mm worth of threads off the kingpin so they won't bind the pillow ball in the upper arm. If you can't find stock kingpins, the CRC ProStrut kingpins could probably be used, since they are a little larger diameter (1/8 inch vs. 3 mm), but once you do that, you would have to use new steering blocks to switch back (the hole would be too big). You would also need to swap out the lower arm pivot balls (same reason 1/8 vs. 3mm). A bonus is that they are stronger than the stock kingpins, and they are a little shorter, so you don't need to cut them.

Pick up the complete front end nylon parts (as opposed to buying them separately - it's cheaper that way).

T-bars, and if you crash a lot, a spare pod. A spare pair of front axles, and front wheel nuts. Front body posts. Spare 3mm screws in the correct sizes.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:57 PM
Tech Addict

I had already ordered CRC polished kingpins and the CRC brass pivot balls. I was told by Ashford Hobby that these parts are supposed to be able to drop in. As far as T Bars I have the stock and I bought the new one Stormer Hobbies made.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I had already ordered CRC polished kingpins and the CRC brass pivot balls. I was told by Ashford Hobby that these parts are supposed to be able to drop in. As far as T Bars I have the stock and I bought the new one Stormer Hobbies made.
I bought a used s120 and was trying to put the front wheels when i noticed that the kingpin rubs on the rim can someone tell me whats going on? and where can i buy some kingpin here in the states since i broke one trying to take it off thanks.

Last edited by revo523; 04-15-2009 at 01:43 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-15-2009, 05:50 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by revo523
I bought a used s120 and was trying to put the front wheels when i noticed that the kingpin rubs on the rim can someone tell me whats going on? and where can i buy some kingpin here in the states since i broke one trying to take it off thanks.
Maybe the kingpin isn't threaded into the steering block far enough? There shouldn't be any threads visible.

Stormer is out of stock, Ashford is out of stock, and Serpent America is out of stock. I heard that they are making changes to the kingpins to a) increase strength and b) make the threaded portion shorter, so that you don't have to cut or grind them down.

You should be able to use CRC ProStrut kingpins (they are 1/8 inch diameter, so once you use them, you can't go back to the originals, since they will stretch the plastic hole bigger). Also, you will need to use Associated L4 or CRC pivot balls in the lower arm.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Thanks for the info joe.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:10 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
Maybe the kingpin isn't threaded into the steering block far enough? There shouldn't be any threads visible.

Stormer is out of stock, Ashford is out of stock, and Serpent America is out of stock. I heard that they are making changes to the kingpins to a) increase strength and b) make the threaded portion shorter, so that you don't have to cut or grind them down.

You should be able to use CRC ProStrut kingpins (they are 1/8 inch diameter, so once you use them, you can't go back to the originals, since they will stretch the plastic hole bigger). Also, you will need to use Associated L4 or CRC pivot balls in the lower arm.
Had the same trouble. Used GRP wheels & tire, king pins rubs. Ended up dremeling 2mm off the threaded end, was good enought to remedy it. I also used servo spacers on with the e-clip for better seating with the suspension coil spring. May used a different tire manufacture, but looking at the king pin , it not located on center, is off-set from center.

Without dremeling the king pin 2mm. torqueing it down would cause a bind with the top pivotball, steering arm will distort, bind the suspension..

Last edited by Geezatec; 04-16-2009 at 08:21 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:24 PM
Tech Addict

I installed the CRC polished kingpins and CRC brass pivot balls in my S120 and they work great. You have to screw the kingpins in deeper to clear the wheel but you can get them in there. I like them better thank the stock parts.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:09 PM
Tech Addict

What brushless system/gearing are some of you folks running in your Snakes for asphalt? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:31 PM
Tech Adept

Default S120

Hi guys,
can I get a setup for a very low grip asphalt highspeed track?
Thanks
Old 04-23-2009, 05:14 AM
Tech Regular

What brushless system/gearing are some of you folks running in your Snakes for asphalt? Thanks in advance.
Hi I am using a Novak 6.5 with 92/27
Old 04-23-2009, 05:15 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ds400
Hi guys,
can I get a setup for a very low grip asphalt highspeed track?
Thanks
Well Start with white rears and black front. Work them with traction compound on the rear first. Hard front springs. Stock setup in the rest.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:08 PM
Tech Champion

I just picked up the S120 front end kit and will be running it on my BMI. At first glance this looks like a very nice kit with a lot less tweaking needed to get it to move smoothly...unlike the old standard front end. I was a bit put off by the fact that it comes with no instructions. Fortunately I was able to find the car instruction kit on-line...though it would be nice to see front end only instructions that also discuss what the different settings can do. Anyway on to my question...

The instructions I found on-line show the pivot balls being inserted from the top of the arm. But when I look closely at the arm it looks to me that the hole for the pivot ball is wider on the bottom of the arm rather then the top so it looks like the ball should be inserted from the bottom up. Am I correct in this?

Thanks
Old 04-25-2009, 09:42 PM
Tech Addict

I found it easier from the bottom. Especially when I installed the CRC brass pivot balls. They are a little bigger so I had to push them in from the bottom while prying the hole open a bit with a flathead screwdriver.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.