Wiki Posts
Search

SERPENT 120

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 06:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by avs
after getting poor results with grinding the pins to fit, i ordered a set of kingpins this past weekend from Stormer and got 0.125" diameter pins. these work with the 'team assosciated' pivot balls which seem to fit ok in the lower arms.

so for now i suggest just purchasing assosciated pivot balls.
I used the stock king pins with associated pivot balls. They didn't fit at first but, I put the king pins in a drill and spun them in some 600 wet/dry sandpaper and then polished them with some metal polish. They slide real nice now in the Associated pivot balls but, the Serpent balls seem so much nicer. I don't want to order new balls only to find out they're exactly the same as what came in the kit.

Melvin, you coming back out to race that thing? We missed you last weekend.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EVILGRAFX
I used the stock king pins with associated pivot balls. They didn't fit at first but, I put the king pins in a drill and spun them in some 600 wet/dry sandpaper and then polished them with some metal polish. They slide real nice now in the Associated pivot balls but, the Serpent balls seem so much nicer. I don't want to order new balls only to find out they're exactly the same as what came in the kit.

Melvin, you coming back out to race that thing? We missed you last weekend.
yep
Old 01-20-2009, 05:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racer Z
yep
I thought you were dead.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

2nd leg of the Western Canadian Indoor Championship Series.

Serpent S120, TQ and first place, 1/12th stock.

<---I did that. (Mr. Modest) ...lol...
Old 01-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stiltskin
I thought you were dead.
Ha! I was going to say something smart-arse here but, I gotta race against him this weekend and I don't want to be eating my words.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer

Besides the stats, what did you think of the car?
Old 01-20-2009, 05:13 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer

Way to go Bob, congrats....

BTW: Kits and parts are on your way!!
Old 01-20-2009, 05:16 PM
Tech Adept

New shipment arriving this week. Great selection and large amount of S120 inventory arriving. Also front end kits in this shipment!
Old 01-20-2009, 10:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Crashby
Besides the stats, what did you think of the car?
As a whole, I like it because it's different. To many cars, link or T-bar, are just another car. When I want to drive a car for myself, I want to drive something different, something exciting. I don't even care if it's better. just give me something unique. If it sucks and people like it, it will improve.

I like the car. Few things I would change, and I have opinions on car setup that are unique to myself.

I won't go into how it reacts with my setup and style, as that's unfair. everybody is different. But I like where it's at, for me. You have to find your base and work it. What's loose for my son, is usually tight for me.

What I would change. and this is all "nit-picky" and my own opinion.
You can shim the T-bar, but not the pod. I'd like to see the pod shaved down so that those same shims under the T-bar pivots apply to where the T-bar meets pod for more adjustability.

T-bar needs to be re-designed, it's weak. I haven't broken one yet, but it's coming. I "cringe" in tight traffic, and lot's of other people have commented on how little material is left back there holding the car together.

I have the heaviest center spring on the car, and I think it's still to pre-loaded. Need something a shade heavier, still.

Front end needs either a longer axle, or machined down so a wheel can be shimmed in and out. Not enough thread to get a nut to hang on there with a Jaco wheel. And you don't have enough axle to run a shim on either side of the bearing.

I made a bumper for the car because I was worried about the front end being weak. So far, nothing has broken. It's time for the bumper to come off, and I could use the weight reduction.

I like it. So far, only been run in 17.5 with Tekin. As soon as we get more S120, I'm gonna build another one for myself for mod. Likely with the 2.2 Speedpassion stuff. I'm curious to see how the 2.2 stuff is doing. I'd like to see how it manages heat.

I think the fact that I'm planning on building a second car speaks pretty well of what I think about the car. When somebody asks, "What car should I get, if I really don't have a prefference", we always tell them to find out what the majority of the racers here at Stormer Hobbies are using for cars. We tend to OVERSTOCK parts for those cars that we enjoy, making parts availability EXCELLENT. Buy a car you can get parts for, and you'll be happier.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:12 PM
Tech Adept

He Bob!!
Wow....did not know that you race that good.....way to go!!
Well, we changed the t-bar design and like it is now, I see no point in changing it. Here in europe we hardly see people braking t-bars now.
Ok you can always brake one if you hit something very hard or in the right angle.

As far as the front stubs are concerned, we will solve that with a low profile nut. Working on that. Like it is now it works with all wheels, you simply can not shim for wider front right now. This will change with the new nuts.

Arrrrg....too many people want a bumper....this is so ugly *lol*

Greetz
Markus
Old 01-21-2009, 12:02 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Mr. Blonde
He Bob!!
Wow....did not know that you race that good.....way to go!!
Well, we changed the t-bar design and like it is now, I see no point in changing it. Here in europe we hardly see people braking t-bars now.
Ok you can always brake one if you hit something very hard or in the right angle.

As far as the front stubs are concerned, we will solve that with a low profile nut. Working on that. Like it is now it works with all wheels, you simply can not shim for wider front right now. This will change with the new nuts.

Arrrrg....too many people want a bumper....this is so ugly *lol*

Greetz
Markus

What about machining the pod?

What was changed on the T-bar? If it's different, GIVE IT A NEW PART NUMBER... don't just toss it in with the same number.

Heck, I've been stinking up some of the finest "B" and "C" mains for years now (27+ years I think). Here's from this last weekend.

1989 in Cleveland. I'm the guy with the SWEET mullet in the middle. I'm not short, those dudes are like 6'6".

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 01-21-2009 at 01:59 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey Bob, nice pic, looks like Mitch, Jason and Stu with you? Team Dorkmissle..
Old 01-21-2009, 06:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Can some one tell me the size of the front axle lock nuts? The instruction manual shows them as M4 and yet others are calling them 3mm. I'm confused.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:31 AM
oze
Tech Adept

M3
Old 01-21-2009, 07:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Nice new options:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.