SERPENT 120

Old 01-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Geezatec
Yes, King pins has to be 2mm shorter. I had to dremel them shorter. For clearance of the rim. If tighten down it would bind the pivot ball, just by out of roundness, not by KP in contact with the pvot ball. E-clip 3mm in manual too large, can use 2.5mm, clip has play works fine, could go 2mm E-Clip for tighter fit. I use the .5 shims(anadized Orange) to seat the e-clip and frt spring, then just the e-clip.

Othrwise, The model is easy to aassemble. Just a bit of QC should be looked at. New model querks we find.
I guess you have issues with kingpin length when using non 38mm rims. The clearance with Jaco prisms or the GRP/Parma wheels is tight but enough for me. Remember if you make the kingpin shorter you will put more preload on the spring. This increases rideheight a bit which can be corrected with the rideheight shims.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Cool, thanks guys!! Hopefully I will get a chance to run the car this week I will keep you guys posted.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:59 PM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by serpentamerica
Hello AVS, sorry to hear about the King Pin issue. The factory is already fixing this. For the time being you could also use AE pivot balls, until we get the correct king pins.
ok, but i don't see a good fix for the servo installation. as you can see below the holes are not right for a 3650. i didn't show it but the holes are symmetric so flipping the servo doesn't help. drilling new holes seems like a bad idea because of the proximity to current set.

SERPENT 120-img_0189.jpg
Old 01-12-2009, 01:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by avs
ok, but i don't see a good fix for the servo installation. as you can see below the holes are not right for a 3650. i didn't show it but the holes are symmetric so flipping the servo doesn't help. drilling new holes seems like a bad idea because of the proximity to current set.

Attachment 405597
You've probably already looked at this, but there should be 2 sets of mounting posts in the kit. They have offset holes. No combo works?
I had an offset problem with the 1st type chassis and took off some material on one of the posts to get the fit correct.
You could try the other post and modifying it to fit?

The other option which could be easier althoug a little tricky is making the hole for the left post (when the car s viewed from the top and facing forward) a slot. When done with care you could make a slot and countersink it so the post becomes adjustable.

Check out this image from a BMI 10R for the idea (better to copy a good idea than come up with a bad one yorself) http://www.bmiracing.com/webstore/ca...6b3bd1fe803915
Old 01-12-2009, 01:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by avs

Attachment 405597
You could use the adjustable mount that CRC makes.

http://www.teamcrc.com/crc/images/em...media/1241.jpg

Just a thought.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by avs

Attachment 405597
I am using a 3650 and it fits perfectly! Like Julis said, did you try different combinations of the posts? You get four in the kit. Unless Serpent changed the drill pattern on the chassis in the new kits to fit other servos, you should be able to get the 3550/3650 to fit perfectly.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Julius
You can use the older countersunk t-bars without problem. For added strength when using the countersunk t-bars, flip them upside down and use the flat head screws. It helps because it removes the added pressure from the countersunk screw.
Useing GRP Rims & Tires. KP is not centered on the rim, So, it has clearance enough that it doesn't hit the rim. Tightening the KP, stock, was too long, no clearance for rim & bottomed out in the steering block.. Had to dremel it 2mm for clearance. Sure frt suspension is tight, my decsion to soften up when I run the model.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:09 PM
avs
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Crashby
I am using a 3650 and it fits perfectly! Like Julis said, did you try different combinations of the posts? You get four in the kit. Unless Serpent changed the drill pattern on the chassis in the new kits to fit other servos, you should be able to get the 3550/3650 to fit perfectly.
this is my point, whatever changes were made on the chassis was not an improvement. there are 2 sets of holes which are mirror images of each other. (redundant hole set which provide NO benefit) the posts are also duplicates 2 pair of left eccentric and right eccentric drilling.

it seems to me that effort and $$ has been spent but with no benefit.

see attachedSERPENT 120-img_0191a.jpg
Old 01-12-2009, 05:14 PM
avs
Tech Master

Originally Posted by EVILGRAFX
You could use the adjustable mount that CRC makes.

http://www.teamcrc.com/crc/images/em...media/1241.jpg

Just a thought.
thanks, but it seems to me a $300 pan car should not require servo mounts to complete. it seems that too much bling has been added before the meat. (mixed metaphor?)
i guess i can't be too surprised, new product manufactured in a new location by a new organization and using mixed units (english and metric) and multiple languages. there is going to be some teething problems
Old 01-12-2009, 05:26 PM
avs
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Julius
You've probably already looked at this, but there should be 2 sets of mounting posts in the kit. They have offset holes. No combo works?
I had an offset problem with the 1st type chassis and took off some material on one of the posts to get the fit correct.
You could try the other post and modifying it to fit?

The other option which could be easier althoug a little tricky is making the hole for the left post (when the car s viewed from the top and facing forward) a slot. When done with care you could make a slot and countersink it so the post becomes adjustable.

Check out this image from a BMI 10R for the idea (better to copy a good idea than come up with a bad one yorself) http://www.bmiracing.com/webstore/ca...6b3bd1fe803915
Julius, thanks for the suggestions, the problem is that holes are too far apart for a 3650. so nothing but more holes in the chassis will do. any other post combination will offset the servo or provide less grip on the servo ears.

i am hesitant to remove more material. see attached. i still don't get why there are redundant holes(left and right mirror images), i suspect this is not what was intended.
SERPENT 120-img_0191a.jpg

by the way, thanks again for the good advice you used to give on racing the Impact years ago. i still use bicycle inner tube for rubber bands
Old 01-12-2009, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by avs
Julius, thanks for the suggestions, the problem is that holes are too far apart for a 3650. so nothing but more holes in the chassis will do. any other post combination will offset the servo or provide less grip on the servo ears.

i am hesitant to remove more material. see attached. i still don't get why there are redundant holes(left and right mirror images), i suspect this is not what was intended.
Attachment 405712

by the way, thanks again for the good advice you used to give on racing the Impact years ago. i still use bicycle inner tube for rubber bands
Me like you. Servo you are looking for, not like the micro servo. Most of them are 21mm on body, i.e Hitec 81-85, body of 21mm. And Hitec 5645 are to large for 10th scale, 41mm body. You want something for 12th scale model like KoPropo PDS951ICS servo. There's another servo that's out there but it evades my mind right now. Get that servo it will fit at 38mm body.

Good luck!!
Old 01-12-2009, 07:27 PM
avs
Tech Master

Me like you. Servo you are looking for, not like the micro servo. Most of them are 21mm on body, i.e Hitec 81-85, body of 21mm. And Hitec 5645 are to large for 10th scale, 41mm body. You want something for 12th scale model like KoPropo PDS951ICS servo. There's another servo that's out there but it evades my mind right now. Get that servo it will fit at 38mm body.

Good luck!!
that's all fine, but i already dropped $80 on the servo that according to this thread not 6 weeks ago, 'fits perfect'.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Exclamation

You want something for 12th scale model like KoPropo PDS951ICS servo.
Just to clarify. The new revised main chassis is now compatible with KoPropo PDS-951 and Futaba S9650, but doesn't accept JR 3650 anymore?
Old 01-12-2009, 10:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just got my kit 6 days ago and my jr (3650) servo fits perfect. Wanted the new Ko but everybody was out Keep us posted on your findings!!
Old 01-12-2009, 10:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by avs
this is my point, whatever changes were made on the chassis was not an improvement. there are 2 sets of holes which are mirror images of each other. (redundant hole set which provide NO benefit) the posts are also duplicates 2 pair of left eccentric and right eccentric drilling.

it seems to me that effort and $$ has been spent but with no benefit.

see attachedAttachment 405707
The posts seem to be equal but because you have two left and two right excentric posts you can make 4 different combos.

From the first pic you attached it seems the post on the right side of the chassis fits ok. If you use the "other" post on the left side do you get a better fit?

The holes were drilled identically left and right to give the option of running the servo on the left and the right.... Seems a different position for the holes might have been a better option. I believe we may have to look into slotted holes!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.