Wiki Posts
Search

SERPENT 120

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 10:05 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by petera
Hi everyone

I'm in the process of building up the car and must say I'm well impressed. One thing that does puzzle me however is the tweak adjustment. I understand how sliding the bar forwards and backwards stiffens the flex and the relative length of the screws alters the tweak but I not sure what the spring steel plates do and what effect running them short or long has ( with the tweak screws bearing down on the t piece at the same point).
I wonder if serpent plan on releasing a setup guide ?

Cant wait to race -- if it goes as well as it looks I,ll be well pleased.

Regards
PeterA
Running the steel blades short or long stiffens their spring action an thus the roll stiffness.
I'd suggest setting the setscrews close to either the pront or rear pivot ball. If you run them in the middle of the t-bar you can end up with the t-bar being bent in the middle and thus opposing the force of the center spring and affecting ride height.
In theory set the slide in combination with the length adjustment so you position the screws close to the front pivot ball. Then adjust roll stiffness by making the blades longer/shorter by adjusting both the slider and the blade (which keeps the scres on the same spot on the t-bar).

Also make sure not to overtighten the setscrews. Putting more tension on the screws will not change the roll stiffness but will make the tweak more sensitive to set.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up RE TWEAK

Thanks Julius, thats exactly what the info I needed.

Cheers
PeterA
Old 11-17-2008, 05:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Just completed building my S120.

Wow!! What a kit. The more you look at the car, the more you see that a lot of thought and planning went into the design. The detail is incredible and most everything assembled perfectly. There where only two issues:

The outside of the diff: The thrust bearing is an old school system that we used many years ago. This system works very well and allows the outside hub bearing to last much longer because there is no damaging side load on that bearing. Brian Bodine makes a thrust bearing that will probably work but I think that with a little tweaking, the kit thrust bearing will also work. I did put in 1/8th diff balls which helped a little but I think the aluminum cap that goes over the carbon part of the axle is not deep enough and contacts the axle when tightened down.

The only other issue is the center shock spring. Only one came in the kit and there are no other springs on the market that fit that shock. I have hundreds of different springs and I tried them all, 1/12th to 1/10th and nothing fit. Hopefully they will come out with their own line of springs as the shock is a beautiful piece.

I placed my new S120 on the bench next to my 12R5 and the 12R5 looks like a toy car. The S120 looks like a real racing machine. I fully understand the reason for the price and quite frankly, I am surprised it is not more than it is. Now if only it will perform as great as it looks. I will find out on 11/22.

Well done, Serpent!!!
Old 11-17-2008, 05:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Crashby
The only other issue is the center shock spring. Only one came in the kit and there are no other springs on the market that fit that shock. I have hundreds of different springs and I tried them all, 1/12th to 1/10th and nothing fit. Hopefully they will come out with their own line of springs as the shock is a beautiful piece.

I placed my new S120 on the bench next to my 12R5 and the 12R5 looks like a toy car. The S120 looks like a real racing machine. I fully understand the reason for the price and quite frankly, I am surprised it is not more than it is. Now if only it will perform as great as it looks. I will find out on 11/22.

Well done, Serpent!!!
Crashby,

Serpent already has made some springs, not sure if they are in the US yet though. Link

http://www.serpent.com/product/411101/ Red spring
http://www.serpent.com/product/411174/ silver spring
http://www.serpent.com/product/411175/ black spring
http://www.serpent.com/product/411052/ Blue spring
Steve

Last edited by corallyman; 11-17-2008 at 05:56 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I want pictures Crashby!!!!
Old 11-18-2008, 06:57 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Talking

I ran my S120 last Saturday for the first time and came off the drivers stand with a grin from ear to ear. Serpent definitely did their home work on this car!
Old 11-18-2008, 08:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JayBee
I want pictures Crashby!!!!
I don't have a good camera that will take nice close ups but I will try and talk OD into brining his camera to the track this weekend for some good close up pictures.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by King Nitro
I ran my S120 last Saturday for the first time and came off the drivers stand with a grin from ear to ear. Serpent definitely did their home work on this car!
That is great news!

What kind of track was it and give us your setup!!!!
Old 11-18-2008, 06:34 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Talking

I was running the setup straight out of the box with the short front arm setup.I used the 6mm front arm mounts.Front springs were 0.50's. Castor shims,one in front and back.Blue spring on shock with kit oil and 2 hole piston on shock and dampner.Ride height 3mm front & 3.5 rear. Zero toe,battery's to the rear.Cant remember the ride height spacer in the front but it was the next to the smallest. Here is the website to our track so you can see some pics. http://track.nexusracing.com/
Old 11-18-2008, 11:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by King Nitro
I was running the setup straight out of the box with the short front arm setup.I used the 6mm front arm mounts.Front springs were 0.50's. Castor shims,one in front and back.Blue spring on shock with kit oil and 2 hole piston on shock and dampner.Ride height 3mm front & 3.5 rear. Zero toe,battery's to the rear.Cant remember the ride height spacer in the front but it was the next to the smallest. Here is the website to our track so you can see some pics. http://track.nexusracing.com/
Nice track!! Here we have to lay out the track every sunday, its a god workout!!
What kind of tires did you use, brand, size, hardness??

Best regards
Stefan
Old 11-19-2008, 01:10 AM
Tech Initiate

Hello there!

Last night I broke the track-record with my S120. With a 9.5T Stock-motor!

I tested a lot with the side-shock. So best result was 2-hole-piston and 1000cst-oil. I also add 2mm-shims under the graphite-shock-holderplate and shock.pivotball to get more space for wiring the cables under the plate and avoid touching the sideshock to plate , when crashes.

I aslo put a 2mm shim betwenn center-shock springholder and ball end and I put 2mm washers inside the centralshock to reduce droop. So you can change droop by turning the whole shock...

And I use 0.50 front-springs. that makes the more easier to drive.

Michael
Attached Thumbnails SERPENT 120-dsc05057.jpg   SERPENT 120-dsc05058.jpg   SERPENT 120-dsc05060.jpg   SERPENT 120-dsc05061.jpg   SERPENT 120-dsc05062.jpg  

Old 11-19-2008, 03:36 AM
Tech Initiate

What roll-out do you use with the 9.5 ? (and what spur -pinon size?)

TAV

BTW looks good in blue.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by retro
What roll-out do you use with the 9.5 ? (and what spur -pinon size?)

TAV

BTW looks good in blue.
Well... after much delay, I was finally able to run my car this past Sunday but only for one charge as the track closed before I could get on the track more. I was not expecting much but the car was right on pace with all of the other cars testing that day. The fastest lap turned was an 8.2 which was as fast as all of the other cars. The car worked perfectly!!! I set the tweak system with the bars all the way forward in the master block and the set screws in the bars all the way forward on the T bar. I am using the 2.0mm T bar and the blue spring as the 1.75 T bar and springs have not arrived yet. I used yellow rears and lilac fronts. Kit front springs with castor shims front and rear. Long upper A arm and narrow front track. 6 degree reactive castor blocks. 30 wt oil in the center shock with two holes on the piston. The side shock has the kit oil. Ride height was 3.5 front and 4.0 rear. It had a Speed Passion 17.5 with a 95mm roll out. I was using a Black Art Audi Coupe but feel the body might be too narrow as I had the narrowest track both front and rear on the car and the wheels where barely inside the body which caused some body contact with the shell. I will paint up a Protoform Speed 12 and try again. The car was surprisingly fast and easy to drive the first time on the track. I am very excited about this car.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Crashby
Well... after much delay, I was finally able to run my car this past Sunday but only for one charge as the track closed before I could get on the track more. I was not expecting much but the car was right on pace with all of the other cars testing that day. The fastest lap turned was an 8.2 which was as fast as all of the other cars. The car worked perfectly!!! I set the tweak system with the bars all the way forward in the master block and the set screws in the bars all the way forward on the T bar. I am using the 2.0mm T bar and the blue spring as the 1.75 T bar and springs have not arrived yet. I used yellow rears and lilac fronts. Kit front springs with castor shims front and rear. Long upper A arm and narrow front track. 6 degree reactive castor blocks. 30 wt oil in the center shock with two holes on the piston. The side shock has the kit oil. Ride height was 3.5 front and 4.0 rear. It had a Speed Passion 17.5 with a 95mm roll out. I was using a Black Art Audi Coupe but feel the body might be too narrow as I had the narrowest track both front and rear on the car and the wheels where barely inside the body which caused some body contact with the shell. I will paint up a Protoform Speed 12 and try again. The car was surprisingly fast and easy to drive the first time on the track. I am very excited about this car.
hmm, I know this guy. No more mav testing huh? :P I might get the 125r tho. what do you think of your $ car? lol
Old 11-25-2008, 09:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by rx7ttlm
hmm, I know this guy. No more mav testing huh? :P I might get the 125r tho. what do you think of your $ car? lol
I ran the Mav at the new Chico A Main Hobbies indoor carpet track on Saturday. TQ'd and finish second. I have spent a lot of time on/with that Mav and it's a really good car and I will continue to run it. I just like experimenting with new cars and this Serpent is unbelievable in its quality, detail and design. Serpent really did their home work by looking at all of the 1/12ths made, took ideas from all manufactures and refined and improved.

I have a 12R5 as well and when you place the two cars side by side on the bench, the 12R5 looks like a Radio Shack car. Don't miss understand me. The 12R5 is a great car and I would recommend that car to anyone who wants to get into 1/12th. But the fit, finish and detail on the Serpent are a whole new level. Will it be better than any other 1/12th? Probably not as most 1/12th cars are very good. But the S120 was worth the price of admission just to get to build the car. The word “Wow” came up more times than I could count during the build.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.